Alternatives to SplashID Password Management App

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Been using SplashID for more than 3-4 yrs on PalmOS but the Android version is clunky, slow, old UI and force closes frequently. Would like to know, what are others using?

I've all of my passwords in LastPass, use it on laptop & love it, but can't afford to pay subscription every month/yr for Andriod app. Would rather pay once and get over it. If only, Lastpass would allow to use password manager for viewing on phone and charged only for editing and browser integration(which I don't need), I would be sorted.

What am looking for:
a) Software that can import passwords from Lastpass or SplashID
b) For backup: Sync with Windows desktop and cloud(Google drive or dropbox)
c) Search option

Here are few, that I know, but haven't used, so need your recommendations..
Pocket: This looks good, but has not updated for over a year and may or may not be supported going forward.

Safewallet

Msecure

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go supports Office 2007+ Super Strong 128 Bit Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like relying on some mom and pop locked black box proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

i then use Dropbox and simply dump this Word file in my Dropbox so it is available to me from any device anywhere in the world and it is always updated and in sync.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I use keepassdroid and keepass on windows box. I use its v2 databases so currently no using on phone. If that important use v1 databases. Drop box to sync

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I use Safe In Cloud, it's a new very good looking holo-themed app.
It syncs with the cloud storage of your choice.
The windows app is not out yet but comming soon.
If you want to try other ones, here is a ranking of Android Password Manager apps:
Android.zRanks.com/ranking/password-manager-apps
You can also rank your favorite ones.

Good:
HOLO UI
Sync options with Cloud

Bad:
Windows app for backup yet not in market
Lacks many important features that other apps have
Looks good, but it sounds new to Market and it is hard to trust a new company with our credentials. Also, you never know, when they might disappear.

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go supports Office 2007+ Super Strong 128 Bit Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like relying on some mom and pop locked black box proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

i then use Dropbox and simply dump this Word file in my Dropbox so it is available to me from any device anywhere in the world and it is always updated and in sync.

I see where you're coming from, why use separate software when you can achieve it with apps that we already have. Also, relying on these wastes our time in import/export when they disappear.
But geeky users, expect many advanced features from each app and can't have everything in one bucket.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I see where you're coming from, why use separate software when you can achieve it with apps that we already have. Also, relying on these wastes our time in import/export when they disappear.
But geeky users, expect many advanced features from each app and can't have everything in one bucket.

what "advanced features" am i missing with my solution?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I went with KeePassDroid. There is a PC, BlackBerry, and other OS versions available. You probably won't be able to import directlt, but the database file can be put into DropBox and accessed across different devices. The Android version automatically adds links inthe notification bar to copy username and password into other apps.

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I went with KeePassDroid. There is a PC, BlackBerry, and other OS versions available. You probably won't be able to import directlt, but the database file can be put into DropBox and accessed across different devices. The Android version automatically adds links inthe notification bar to copy username and password into other apps.

I've used KeePass on PC before Lastpass came, and love it. So, using same software for Android would be great. But that old school UI of 1.6 Android version kinda pisses me off when you open it using ICS/JB.

Google Nexus

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
what "advanced features" am i missing with my solution?

Have you tried/used LastPass on PC ever? If not, try it.
Use it for few weeks to understand and use all of it's features like generating secure passwords, one time password, etc.

I mean there is a reason they're in business and so many people use their software.

PeteCress

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
You've got me going on that one.

Been groping around in my new Note, trying to work out the migration from iPad... and getting scared off by the reports of SplashID hosing data. Sounds grim to me: data gets partially hosed, user does not notice for quite awhile, incremental backup limit gets exceeded on whatever backup scheme the user emplolye.... and then the data's *really* hosed....

Your approach seems attractively simple: existing tools, does the job... and so-forth

I started trying to mimic it by exporting from SplashID to .CSV and then importing into Excel.
From there, I created a table in MS Word and tried to paste into it... but am having trouble controlling the cell sizes.

Do you use a table in Word?

If not, what?

Did you try it as a spreadsheet (assuming they can be encrypted...) and then move to Word for some reason?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I can heartily recommend using MSecure on android. I had been a happy user of SplashID on my iPhone, before transitioning to Android, and I was very disappointed to find their Android app and their support for the app extremely poor, compared to their support on the iPhone version, and I finally just gave up on them and decided to move on. After testing a variety of possible replacements, I settled on Msecure, and have been very happy with it.

I was able to import all of my SplashID entries with no issues, and I've been reliably using Msecure to sync it between my Galaxy Nexus, ASUS TF101 and 2 PCs for almost 2 years. I also participated in beta testing on the now current level of Msecure, and I was quite impressed with their diligence in correcting any issues prior to release.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Data

debit and credit cards

xxx

atm pins

xxx

checking and savings accounts

xxx

online banking

xxx

investments

xxx

cable and cellular

xxx

computer, phone, devices, and software

xxx

email accounts

xxx

technology services

xxx

retailers

xxx

housing

xxx

utilities

xxx

automobile

xxx

insurance

xxx

valuables and locks

xxx

airlines and trains

xxx

hotels

xxx

miscellaneous

xxx

10-1-12

---------- Post Merged at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:36 PM ----------

You've got me going on that one.

Been groping around in my new Note, trying to work out the migration from iPad... and getting scared off by the reports of SplashID hosing data. Sounds grim to me: data gets partially hosed, user does not notice for quite awhile, incremental backup limit gets exceeded on whatever backup scheme the user emplolye.... and then the data's *really* hosed....

Your approach seems attractively simple: existing tools, does the job... and so-forth

I started trying to mimic it by exporting from SplashID to .CSV and then importing into Excel.
From there, I created a table in MS Word and tried to paste into it... but am having trouble controlling the cell sizes.

Do you use a table in Word?

If not, what?

Did you try it as a spreadsheet (assuming they can be encrypted...) and then move to Word for some reason?

are you asking me?

i use a simple MS Word file. see my post above for the basic structure with headings.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually didn't like any of the existing password managers on Android so I ported my WebOS version over and created jVault. You can try the trial version called jVault Lite in the Google Play store. I also created a companion desktop version called jVault Desktop that allows you to transfer data between the Android and Desktop machine via your personal online Dropbox folder. The desktop version is free, and runs on Windows and Macs. For my personal use, jVault seems to be the most flexible and robust password manager. It also uses AES encryption, so the data is very secure.

Cohosoft Home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae