[HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
***ANNOUNCEMENT***

There's at long-last another Launcher to implement support for MissedIt!
It's Launcher 8--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=info.tikusoft.l8&token=GuhAT9gx

d7Yi2hg.jpg

Only caveat is that it seems SMS & GMail don't use MissedIt but Launcher 8's built-in SMS & GMail counter which can be a little tricky to set up, but once done it works great just like it does on Nova Launcher!
Also, the count only appears on Tiles placed on the Homescreen & not in the list of Apps - Windows Phone's version of the "App Drawer"

If you're having problems, I'll do my best as usual to help you though the update just came out yesterday so I'm still trying to get a feeling for everything & how it's supported.
You might want to check out MissedIt's Google+ BETA Community--> https://plus.google.com/communities/108609752323072606306
Or communicate directly with the Dev of Launcher 8 on Google+--> https://plus.google.com/113192992285762862111

***I've updated the original post to reflect this***

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Since the Notification Listener Service works differently from the Accessibility Service previously used by MissedIt, here's a quick guide to setting up Badge Notifications (little #'s on App icons/tiles themselves indicating pending Notifications) on Launcher 8.

***Disclaimer***
This guide was created with Launcher8 enabled as a Notification Listener Service & I used "TextPlus Gold" as a test App but it should work with any App that produces Notifications.

If you're using an older device pre-4.3, to achieve Badge Notifications on Launcher8, simply add the Apps you want Badge Notifications for in MissedIt's "Shared Elements" section then follow Steps 1-3 of the guide below - that's it.

Step 1)
Swipe from right-to-left to get to the list of installed Apps & locate the App you want Notifications tracked for
8bmSnrY.png

Step 2)
Long-press the App icon & select "Pin to home screen"
r0vn9cg.png

Step 3)
Return to your Homescreen
4oBEJ0P.png

Step 4)
Long-press the icon from the Homescreen & tap the "Edit" icon in the left-hand corner
KZNQqOs.png

Step 5)
You'll now be on the "Edit tile" screen.
From here, tap the "+" button
1IIte3Y.png

Step 6)
You'll now be on the "Select image type" screen.
From here, tap "Notification counter"
(If you're using a pre-4.3 device you won't see "Notification Counter" & you shouldn't even be reading this far since you only need Steps 1-3 on your device)
fJ42bm0.png

Step 7)
You'll now be on the "Image editor" screen.
From here, rename it to something approriate & also name it the same thing lower down in the "Title" section
R22E09E.png

Step 8)
Still on the "Image editor" screen, you can change the App icon.
Personally, I like to keep the stock icon - for this, tap the center icon that looks like a box located between a camera & broom icon directly below the "Name" section
4BqCwsu.png

Step 9)
Still on the "Image editor" screen, tap the empty space beside "Watch for"
R8OmePm.png

Step 10)
You'll now be on the "SelectNotification" screen.
From here, scroll to the App you want tracked
hfua3Ii.png

Step 11)
You'll now be returned to the "Image editor" screen.
From here, ensure the "Mode" is set to "Display value from notification" then tap the "Save" icon in the upper right corner
ucnQl1M.png

Step 12)
You'll now be returned to the "Edit tile" screen.
From here, tap the portion below "Drawable" to expand the list of available "Drawables"
mI7cRFz.png

Step 13)
From the list of "drawables", select your newly created one & then tap the "Save" icon in the upper right corner
Pu5tAyB.png

Step 14)
Return to your Homescreen & then your Tile will be set up with a "Counter" so anytime you receive a Notification for that App it will display a # until the App itself that produced the Notification is launched
stbGgpK.png

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

jvinga1

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've ditched Touchwiz (and thus TW Email and icon with badge notification) on my GS4 and I'm using a custom ROM based on 4.2.2 and I'm using Nova Launcher. I've installed the KitKat email and exchange APK files. My last task is to find badge notification that will work for Exchange e-mail. Will this do the trick?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...My last task is to find badge notification that will work for Exchange e-mail. Will this do the trick?

Provided you're using Nova Prime (paid version of Nova), Tesla Unread Count & MissedIt, yes it should.
Tesla Unread Count natively supports Samsung EMail & K9 so you might want to try that before purchasing MissedIt & trying this method.

My method though should track any App that produces a Notification in the Notification Bar so as long as your Exchange e-mail produces Notifications, MissedIt should track it if Tesla Unread Count doesn't.

nycemc

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
firstly thank you so much for this guide, it works for the most part completely as expected, but theres some functionality that im missing out on bc it seems im having a problem, there is no missed it widget , or anything of the like in my widgets drawer... what widget are you refering to , when you say to make a widget and resize it 1x1 etc... do i have to make it with uccw or something ? im on a gs4 i9505 running 4.2.2 is it something im missing or am i just being a newb :( thanks alot in advance man your awesome

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...there is no missed it widget , or anything of the like in my widgets drawer...

It's in the App Drawer's Widget section. It's a 4X1 Widget.
The Widget isn't "needed" though if all you want are the #'s on the App icons themselves. In my opinion, you aren't really missing much not using the Widget.

nycemc

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
sadly there is no missed it 4x1 in the widget drawer ( app drawer's widget section ) :( and from what i read earlier in this thread thats an alternative to getting apps to show proper numbers of notification badges ... is it because im running 4.2.2 or something, if not i guess ill just stayed with my skewed results :(

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

nycemc

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
ohh what version of missed it are you using ? do you know the version and build number.... maybe that will fix my problem as well , thanks in advance again

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
ohh what version of missed it are you using ?...

I use version 4.0.5 of MissedIt.
It uses the Accessibility Service instead of the Notification Listener Service (relevant on devices running Android 4.3+).

The Dev has since fixed a few minor bugs, but for me, 4.0.5 is more useful until he separates the Widget from the Badge Count, which he said he's working on.

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
***ANNOUNCEMENT***

For those (like myself) that use MissedIt as a "Reminder" needing the Badge Count to remain on the App icons themselves even when the Notification has been cleared from the Notification Shade (on versions of Android 4.3+), the option is currently available (as of version 4.2. beta 2).
You'll need to be part of the Google+BETA Community though.

However, when you are, here's how to change the default behavior of clearing the Badge Notification when it has been cleared from the Notification Shade:
Options-> Counter Reset Mode-> On App Focused (by default it's set to "On Notification Dismissed" )

Last edited:

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I hate to revive an old thread, but I'm having problems with unread badges on my new phone. I just got a Moto X and am running Android 4.4 KitKat. In the past, I had Missed It! installed alongside Nova Launcher and I used the unread badges as reminders of when I had dismissed notifications for apps without running the app (Ex: I had unread messages in Whatsapp or unread Tweets, etc.). I used to be able to dismiss the notification from the notification shade on my old phone without the unread badge going away. That isn't the case on my Moto X where, if I dismiss the notification in the notification shade, the unread badge disappears too. Your solution is to use the old version of Missed It! (Version 4.0.5), but I'm not sure how to get that version after I've already updated it to the newest version. Any help?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I hate to revive an old thread
...I used to be able to dismiss the notification from the notification shade on my old phone without the unread badge going away.

It might be an "old thread" but I maintain it & it gets roughly 1.5k views/week even without new posts bumping it up to the top of the list, so clearly it's s feature a lot of people are Google'ing.
I'm pleased to know you found my tutorial useful. :)

To resolve the issue you're having, join the MissedIt Google+ BETA Community to ensure you have the latest version.
Then, with the latest version (4.2 beta3), go to Options--> Counter Reset Mode--> On App Focused
The only problem using this method though, is that it continues to collect Notifications from the App you're currently in behind the scenes. For example, if you're within Google+ & get Notifications, once you exit Google+ it'll say you have Notifications when you don't. He's working on that though, hopefully.

Hope that helps.

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It might be an "old thread" but I maintain it & it gets roughly 1.5k views/week even without new posts bumping it up to the top of the list, so clearly it's s feature a lot of people are Google'ing.
I'm pleased to know you found my tutorial useful. :)

To resolve the issue you're having, join the MissedIt Google+ BETA Community to ensure you have the latest version.
Then, with the latest version (4.2 beta3), go to Options--> Counter Reset Mode--> On App Focused
The only problem using this method though, is that it continues to collect Notifications from the App you're currently in behind the scenes. For example, if you're within Google+ & get Notifications, once you exit Google+ it'll say you have Notifications when you don't. He's working on that though, hopefully.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I had found this thread through a google search and didn't look at the dates, so I assumed it was old. My bad.

And thanks a ton for the fix! It's working now the way it used to and I love it. The hiccup with the behind-the-scenes notifications will be a bit annoying, but it's much more preferable than having my unread badges disappear when I actually need them most.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
MissedIt has an update in the Play Store (if you're a BETA Tester) that fixes the problem with it tracking Notifications of the App the User is currently in - version 4.2 BETA 5.

If you're a BETA Tester & don't have the "Update" prompt yet, don't worry it should appear in the next few hours.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
In case Devs are reading this...
If you want to implement Global Badge Notifications (Unread # on all Apps that produce Notifications) without creating your own code, the Dev of "Missed It" just released a tutorial for Devs to hook into his App-> http://igecelabs.net/missed-it/shared_elements_api

A couple other Apps (Nova Launcher & Launcher8 ) already hook into Missed It! & it works great!

To Users of Launchers that don't support GLOBAL Badge Notifications, feel free to point their Devs to the link above.
Global Badge Notifications in my opinion is something all Launchers should offer as an option, so this could hopefully be a step towards that.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
***ANNOUNCEMENT***

Glovebox now also supports MissedIt! as of Glovebox version 3.2.32

yuJVTBX.png

It's currently in testing, so to get the BETA, you'll need to be part of the Google+ BETA Community for Glovebox--> https://plus.google.com/communities/112544019992031882395

Once you've got the update, to activate Global Badge Notifications, within Glovebox, go to Settings--> Unread Count--> Provider--> MissedIt!
Then, whatever App you've got docked within Glovebox will show a Badge Notification!

Just be sure that the App you want tracked on Glovebox is also in MissedIt's "Shared Elements" section.

Last edited:

ashaux

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
From the first paragraph, it seems like Android does offer badges for the basic apps (SMS/ Gmail/ Missed Calls). I've had only iPhones for the last 4 years, so I'm missing the badges desperately. However, I only really want them for texts and emails. I've got the all new HTC One M8. Is there a way I can have badges for just SMS/ Gmail/ calls? I've searched in the internet for hours, but all I can find is info on global badges. Thanks!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...I've got the all new HTC One M8. Is there a way I can have badges for just SMS/ Gmail/ calls?...

First off, congrats on the M8 - great looking phone!

As to your question, it'll depend on the Launcher.
Many OEM Launchers support SMS/Calls/EMail however just for their built-in Apps.
I'm unfamiliar with the one used on the M8, but likely, no, unfortunately. Not if you use the stock Sense Launcher.
Nova Launcher & many others do if all you want is the 3 Apps you named if you don't want to use the method I outlined requiring "Missed It!".

ashaux

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Ah. Well, I'll give one of those launchers a try. It's all incredibly new to me, but I'm still glad I made the switch. Even without the badges, I love the M8. Thank you for your help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo