[HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Tobias Becker

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
First of all thanks for this post! I'd really love to get this working, because same as with many other iPhone converts, I'm really missing this feature in Android. I've done everything according to your description but it just won't work on my N4. I have already upgraded Android to 4.2.2, could that be the reason? I've tried adding the apps one by another as you suggested, switching Missed It! on and off in between. However, it just won't work.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
@ Tobias:
It works on my Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 as well.

Make sure it's enabled in Accessibility Settings?
Do you have other Apps listed in Accessibility Settings?

And you're using:
-Nova Launcher Prime
-Tesla Unread Count
-MissedIt
Correct?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I just set this up on my Nexus 4, and it works great! I have one question: I have 2 gmail account configured in the gmail app, and one icon. I'm wondering if it's possible to set unique badge styles and/or positions based on which account receives the notification. For example, a notification for aaaa@gmail.com puts the badge on the upper right corner, but a notification for bbbb@gmail.com puts it on the lower right corner.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have one question: I have 2 gmail account configured in the gmail app, and one icon. I'm wondering if it's possible to set unique badge styles and/or positions based on which account receives the notification.

Not that I know of, nope...Maybe something for a future update.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you guys stop making me spend money?

Ya, the whole setup (Nova Launcher Prime, WidgetLocker & MissedIt) costs about 10$ but IMO definitely worth it given the functionality & convenience it provides.
:)

It's the first thing I setup on all my Android devices, really can't go without 'em!

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
It still stuns me that the supposed greatest OS in the world doesn't provide this functionality out of the box.

Lukas Milo

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
4l3fxh.png

I actually just finished getting the notification counter and noticed these icons on the bottom left of my home screen that I can't delete or move or anything. They're like stuck there and I was wondering if you knew how I could get rid of them?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
noticed these icons on the bottom left of my home screen that I can't delete or move or anything.

Do you mean the icons for:
-Nova Launcher
-Tesla Unread Count
-an Android icon

If so, not sure why that happened but it's most likely not related to Badge Notifications whatsoever just unfortunate/coincidental timing.
That being said, the Android icon is usually when the icon associated to it gets corrupted for one reason or another so try rebooting.
If that doesn't fix it, try moving everything (excluding those 3 of course) to another Homescreen page & delete that page.

Last edited:

Jahan Uddn

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I tried it and it doesn't work, would i need the payed version of Nova Launcher Prime for this to work? Is there no FREE version? Thank you in-advance.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
would i need the payed version of Nova Launcher Prime for this to work?

Yes, you need the paid version of Nova Launcher for it to work on your Homescreens - it won't work with just the free version.

To work on your Homescreens you need:
-Nova Launcher
-Nova Launcher Prime
-Tesla Unread Count
-MissedIt

To work on your Lockscreen you need:
-WidgetLocker
-Tesla Unread Count
-MissedIt

If you have both Nova Launcher Prime & WidgetLocker - using Tesla Unread Count & MissedIt will allow them to be displayed on your Homescreens & Lockscreen simultaneously without a problem.

Last edited:

Jahan Uddn

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Lanhoj! Just out of curiosity - Is there no alternative free versions at the moment? As I am waiting till Google I/O finishes just incase android implements this.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there no alternative free versions at the moment?

GO Launcher I think but it's only for very few Apps that they select - last time I checked was about a half dozen Apps if that.
My way works for virtually ALL Apps that produce a Notification in the StatusBar.

Don't count on Google implementing it...but if they did that would definitely be awesome!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Might also be worth noting that Badge Notifications also work on Apps docked within WidgetLocker's Left Bezel:
QzPjEN2.png

Attachments

• 1371869107676.jpg
    1371869107676.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

ericp9268

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi I downloaded Nova Prime and Missed It and when I get a new notification I get a badge notification on my icon. However, is there a way to keep the number of unread emails on the badge Icon. For example, if I have 10 unread emails and I get an 11th one the badge will show 11. When I open the email app and read one email and then close the app, the badge is not longer there. Is there a way to keep the badge with the icon annd show 10 because I still have 10 unread emails?

Thanks