I'm a developer interested in having an Android device for the purposes of making apps and learning all the ins and outs of the Android, but I already own a BlackBerry as my primary mobile device and have a data plan for that device, so I'm not wanting to have to pay another $30/mo just to have a development device.

What I'm wondering is whether an Android phone such as the Galaxy S III is fully functional if only used over Wi-Fi. Obviously I won't be able to use it when I'm out and about, but that won't be required.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    08-16-2012 09:36 PM
    You can use it as far as apps and such go. You couldn't use it for making phone calls or texting...unless you found an app to run those services through.
    danielbigham likes this.
    08-17-2012 12:14 AM
    So you can still buy apps from the Google Play store, etc?

Would Samsung's "S Voice" still work?
    08-17-2012 10:17 AM
    So you can still buy apps from the Google Play store, etc?

Would Samsung's "S Voice" still work?
    Yeah you can still use the play store with a wifi only device. I assume that S Voice would "work" just as well too. (I put work in parentheses because the reviews of s voice have been really bad. It's basically just a gimmick)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    08-18-2012 12:21 PM
    That's the upside of Wi-Fi on android devices you don't need a dataplan to "unlock" the wifi... Blackberry is a bs device.. Intergrate Wi-Fi but not even able to use it without a dataplan... Go Android (or anything else NOT blackberry)
    08-18-2012 08:03 PM
    Yeah, you should be able to do anything except make calls and text....and even then you could use a VOIP program to make calls and something like Google Voice to text.
    08-18-2012 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD