Automatic updates for unofficial apps?

kmr296

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just installed the Google Wallet .apk on my rooted s3 (verizon....). Obviously this isn't going to show up in market and check for updates. Are there any solutions out there that check updates for side loaded apps automatically? Besides going against my warranty (by rooting) pretty sure side loading wallet is legal - and i know it's not a HUGE deal to side load again, would just be nice to set it and forget it

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Sideloading wallet isn't illegal, but it may violate your contract with your carrier. But once you sideload it, the market should recognize it and allow it to be automatically updated. If it doesn't, I think you can use Titanium Backup to link the app to the Market. (I know you can use Titanium Backup to break market links.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

i sideloaded Nova Launcher before it was in Google Play/Market onto a G-Nex with ICS and it automatically updated itself.

i'm not sure if that was due to ICS or the App itself or both.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It won't work if you sideload a paid app (for example, buying a paid app from Amazon). The Play Store will recognize it, but won't allow you to update it because it doesn't have a record of your purchase. But it should work for any free app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay