Mail App with Server Side Search

HomeLite

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a mail app with a unified inbox (gmail and yahoo) that can also search the mail servers and not just the phone. K9 seems to be pretty popular but it doesn't have this feature.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe any of the standards (IMAP or POP3) provide for a search capability.

I know Gmail provides extensions to the standard IMAP API that include a "search" command. Yahoo's uses a Web Service to provide access that provides a search capability.

You would be limited to gmail/yahoo unless other providers also implement extensions.

Gool luck with your search ;) for a email client.

Andy Behrens

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't believe any of the standards (IMAP or POP3) provide for a search capability.

Search has been part of the IMAP standard since at least version 2 of the protocol (RFC1064, July1988).

The current standard for IMAP4 (RFC3501) supports searches on arbitrary header fields or within the message body, search by date, search for message flags ("read", "flagged", "answered", etc). It also allows boolean combinations of search conditions with AND and OR, although most clients don't make use of that feature.

Last edited:

WillWork2Fly

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Good News: If you are a GoDaddy customer you can use their webapp. It is a beautiful email client including server side search.
Bad News: For some unknown reason they are ending support for this app and suggesting their customers go with M$ Outlook app. I can't even seem to get my imap info to work on that app.

I came online to look for another app that had server side search. My main email inbox has over 74,000+ emails. I don't think other apps can handle it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol