Why does Pandora need the following permissions:

READ CONTACT DATA
    Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your tablet. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people. Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your phone. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people.
    ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE
    Allows the app to send event invitations as the calendar owner and add, remove, change events that you can modify on your device, including those of friends or co-workers. Malicious apps may send spam emails that appear to come from calendar owners, modify events without the owners' knowledge, or add fake events.
    What does Pandora do that needs those permissions?
    08-21-2012 09:45 AM
    It's ridiculous that this app requests these permissions. I've seen speculation that the app might use these permissions to spam your contacts, although I've never experienced this. I've given the app a one star rating in the market specifically because of these permission requests, and I encourage others to do so as well. If there are enough comments about this issue maybe they'll change it in the future.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    08-21-2012 10:11 AM
    Ignore Bradvoy and the whacky conspiracy theories.

It's so when you press Menu -> Share in Pandora, it can read your contacts (so you can share with them).

Pretty much any app that has a "share" functionality will request that permission.
    ab304945 and jean15paul like this.
    08-21-2012 01:40 PM

It's so when you press Menu -> Share in Pandora, it can read your contacts (so you can share with them).

Pretty much any app that has a "share" functionality will request that permission.
    Thanks EvilMonkey!

My previous experience with Pandora was on WebOS, and if it had that functionality I never used it. Guess I'll go ahead and install it.
    08-21-2012 03:50 PM

Good info. Thanks.

But does that explain the "ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE" permission or just the read contacts one?
    08-21-2012 04:41 PM
    Good info. Thanks.

But does that explain the "ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE" permission or just the read contacts one?

"Read Contacts & Write Calendar: these permissions enable two features--to share your Pandora stations with a friend via email, and to add an event featured in an ad (like a movie premier) to your calendar. If you decide that you want to share a station, Pandora will allow you to select an email address from your contact list and send an email. If you decide that an ad offers an event you'd like to attend, Pandora will offer to add this event to your calendar. These functions would always be initiated by you."

More info on that and other permissions here: http://help.pandora.com/customer/por...ons-on-android
    08-21-2012 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD