Google Voice (for transcribed voicemail messages)

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Do I have to do something special to get the Google voicemail working, specifically to get transcribed text message voicemails???

It worked well on my Pre.

Now on my Evo I keep getting a message that reads something about my network carrier not supporting automatic voicemail configuration. I do not see options for this to be done manually.

I looked at the "help section" and do not see where I can do anything more than add my mobile number (which I've already done).

Is there anyone that can help me with specific directions?

Thanks

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been at it for quite a bit of time messing around with as much as I can including doing searches and utilizing the google help center.

Has anyone else gotten the message about inability to do automatic configuration for "your network" and after going through further steps getting the "no changes were made" message?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Do I have to do something special to get the Google voicemail working, specifically to get transcribed text message voicemails???

It worked well on my Pre.

Now on my Evo I keep getting a message that reads something about my network carrier not supporting automatic voicemail configuration. I do not see options for this to be done manually.

I looked at the "help section" and do not see where I can do anything more than add my mobile number (which I've already done).

Is there anyone that can help me with specific directions?

Thanks

That is an OK message, it just means the Google Voice app on the Evo can't automatically configure your number to foward to Google Voice.

You have to login to Google Voice from a broswser and activate your phone mumber, it will give you a code to dial on your phone. Something like:

*48MYGOOGLEVOICE#

Then your calls will get sent to your google voice voice mail box.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Although, it should already be active if it was working on the previous phone (assuming same number). If the number is different, well, you need to add that number.

The message where it says it cannot configure the carrier network, well, that made sense to me because it was already configured.

For me, I got rid of the Voicemail icon and only use the GV icon. Set the options for GV notifications when voicemail arrives. Done!

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

When I go to my settings or just checking every which option, I do not see where I can "activate" the number I already have.

I wonder if I have to some way disassociate it from the Palm Pre phone I used previously. It all appears like it would already be working but it doesn't for my Evo. I do not know/ need to figure out how to forward it to work with my Evo.

My sprint number and google voice numbers are both unchanged from when I used the Pre.

Thanks

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

When I go to my settings or just checking every which option, I do not see where I can "activate" the number I already have.

I wonder if I have to some way disassociate it from the Palm Pre phone I used previously. It all appears like it would already be working but it doesn't for my Evo. I do not know/ need to figure out how to forward it to work with my Evo.

My sprint number and google voice numbers are both unchanged from when I used the Pre.

Thanks

Ok, when you call your phone now, do you get sent to your Google Voicemail?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

Thanks

From google voice's perspective, it is not associated with a phone. It is associated with a number.

From the Pre's perspective, you only received text messages or emails. It was Google Voice agnostic, because there's no native support.

From the Evo's perspective, the phone accesses GV via a data connection. Incoming messages are pushed via data, hence, it's just a data client that is natively supported. There's no association per se as a phone to the GV servers.
Probably the most important question there. Is GV working at all for you? 1 step at a time.

1) When you call the number and it goes to voicemail, do you get sent to GV? If not, can you make sure your settings are correct from the GV web page?
2) Do you get GV notifications on the phone? If not, are your phone settings correct?

That's the order in which you want to figure this out. Not the other way around.

sonso

May 14, 2010
Visit site

It goes to my Sprint voicemail.

Not sure if I can disassociate my google number from my phone/account and try to start from scratch but darn if I haven't tried all the options to try from the google voice page.

Thanks for your help!!!