Sleep phone on/off with volume or trackball

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to ask if anyone knew of an app that would allow me to put my phone to sleep and wake it with a button other than the power button.

Thank you.

Nic

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes its a pain to hit that power button with big thumbs. even more so if a case is being used that covers the button. I started using this app called "screen off" I believe. It can be found in the market. The app is decent except that theres like a 5 sec delay for the screen to go off. If any of the "home buttons" home, menu, back etc. are touched the screen comes back on.

If the developer could make it sleep instantly, it would be a great app.

konreu

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Screen Off for Android

Which button, besides the power button, would you like to use to wake your phone?

If the developer could make it sleep instantly, it would be a great app.

Thank you for your feedback, nicsneed. I am the developer of Screen Off.

The Android operating system does not let developers put your phone to sleep instantly in the same way that your power button does. That functionality is reserved for special (system) applications. As soon as this changes, I will update the app!

Screen Off does the next best thing and makes sure that you do not accidentally press anything on your touch screen as your phone goes to sleep as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions, issues, or requests, you can reply in this thread. I will be listening!

Nic

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
konreu, thanks for responding. This shows at least to me, that a developer is standing behind his product.

The only issue i run into is that, once i click the icon and screen go s to "snow", if the phone is turned too quick or any of the bottom buttons are hit, it wakes back up.

Ex. I click the app, starts snowing and put the phone in my pocket. Almost every time, the phone wakes back up? Either the turning waking it up or something in my pocket hitting the bottom buttons which also wake it up.

I now understand why it cannot sleep instantly, but is there some way that you can either de-activate the accelerometer or what ever wakes the phone back up or de-activate the bottom buttons once the app is pressed? Currently, i have to wait the 5 or so secs making sure the phone go s to sleep before i could put it in a pocket. Thanks again.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Which button, besides the power button, would you like to use to wake your phone?
I would like to use the volume rocker to wake the phone. Perhaps a double push or long press.
A second choice would be the trackball/optical joystick.

My reason for wanting this is
1. My thumb is naturally on the volume rocker when I pull it out of my pocket or holster

2. I'm missing the upper digit of my index finger and stretching it to the power button is a bit clumsy and almost made me drop my phone a couple of times.

3. I love having options

Last edited:

Nic

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
With No Lock app the volume button does wake up the phone. Its a nice app thats very close to being great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20