My employer is adding open WiFi on site in the next few weeks. My question is whether they could read my incoming gmail if I was connected to their WiFi. Just to be clear, I use the official gmail app. Just curious if the price of the convenience I my privacy. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-25-2012 07:42 PM
    the answer is yes they can but they probably aren't and won't.
    08-26-2012 08:22 AM
    Gmail is encrypted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    cordoni likes this.
    08-26-2012 11:00 AM
    Gmail is encrypted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    That is what I thought. They can only see that information was coming from gmail to me, but not what said information was, correct?

08-26-2012 12:11 PM
    i believe i stand corrected. i knew Gmail was encrypted with HTTPS - but i still thought that the "provider" of the WIFI internet connection (ex. Employer) could possibly view your data and that you were only protected from third party "sniffers".

For those whose schools or workplaces routinely monitor employee or student internet usage, the change also shields their e-mails from the IT department.
    Google Turns on Gmail Encryption to Protect Wi-Fi Users | Threat Level | Wired.com
    cordoni likes this.
    08-26-2012 12:39 PM
    So I assume this applies to the app as well?

08-26-2012 02:56 PM
    So I assume this applies to the app as well?

Yup. The Gmail server doesn't send it openly, so anything that accesses it will have to support the encryption.
    cordoni likes this.
    08-26-2012 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD