Music Player (Remix)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dan,

today I read about the Splyce iPone player (Splyce puts a DJ inside your iPhone). It has one feature that I would ask if it could be intigrated into MusicRemix.

I have music with verry differnt style on my device. So it yould be crate to have a shuffel all / auto playlist function that can find music that matches the kind / bests per minute of the current playing song. So I would be able to select a song of the kind of music I would love to listen to and then let Music Remix continue with other songs of the same kind.

Hanspeter

I'm sorry but I don't anticipate adding this type of feature. It would take a significant amount of work to develop a system to detect BPM on all media stored on the device and since you're the only person who's asked for this feature, it's not going to be likely I'd work on such a time-consuming feature.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.5.0 has been released! This is a huge release I've been working on for awhile. It has a ton of great stuff in it (see the complete list below), but the biggest feature is Chromecast support! You can now cast any of your local music files to your TV. Your song/album/artist info is displayed on the TV, along with the album art and the current progress in the song. You can control the Chromecast in the app, through the notification controls, lockscreen controls, and even the advanced mini-player (swipe up from the bottom of the screen in any app).

In celebration of the version 1.5.0 release, the app is on sale for $1.50 (regular price $4.99) - limited time only! Be sure to check out the fully-functional free trial version (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hedami.mprtrial) which has been reset for all users.

Here's the complete changelog:

- (New Feature) Add Chromecast support (requires Google Play Services on your device...basically any device with the Google Play store).

- (New Feature) Add 'View Wiki' option for songs available on the Now Playing screen as well as in the '...' menu next to songs. This is replacing the 'Find remixes on YouTube' option.

- (New Feature) Add the ability to share an image from another app to set the Music Player (Remix) wallpaper. This will work with any app, like many wallpaper apps, that have a share function.

- (Enhancement) Make it easier, especially on tablets, to close the sliding panels. Just tap anywhere outside of the panel to close it.

- (Enhancement) Improve the visual appeal of the sliding panels. The panels will be displayed with a toned-down hue based upon the selected menu color.

- (Enhancement) When in playlist multi-add mode, tapping a song/album/artist on the Faves list will add that item to the playlist.

- (Enhancement) On Android 4.4+ when tag editing or file deletion fails, display an error indicating it's not possible to edit files outside of the app's directory on SD cards in Android 4.4+ due to a restriction imposed by Google in Android 4.4.

- (Enhancement) On Gingerbread devices, the volume control slider bar was not displayed using the Holo style.

- (Bug Fix) If a music file had corrupted tags, the app was unable to edit tags, save lyrics, or save album art to the music file.

- (Bug Fix) On devices with less system memory, updating tag data in a large music file could have resulted in the app crashing.

- (Bug Fix) On devices running KitKat, the scrollbar on the Now Playing and music library browsing screens were displayed too far to the left.

- (Bug Fix) Improve the way the mini-player is sized, especially on tablets.

- (Bug Fix) On devices with high screen resolutions, switching from portrait to landscape multiple times would sometimes result in the app crashing or the wallpaper not displaying.

- (Bug Fix) On certain tablets in landscape mode, the upper row of shortcuts (above the album art) would be too tiny.

- (Bug Fix) If you switched tracks from the same album on the mini-player, the track info wouldn't update.

- (Bug Fix) For headphones with a single button, double-clicking the button skipped to the next track, but also incorrectly toggled the pause/play state.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.5.1 has been released with a quick bug fix. On some devices, when you enabled playlist multi-add mode, the browsing list would disappear. The update should be available soon.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Working on a feature in version 1.5.2 which I've wanted to do for a long time. The app already allows you to search YouTube for a given song, but it loads the external YouTube app. Now in version 1.5.2, you'll be able to view a song's YouTube video within the app. When you select the "Play YouTube video" option for a given song, the most relevant YouTube video (per YouTube's search results) will be played automatically.

You'll also be provided a list of other video choices. Tap on a choice and that video will play. The app will also remember which video you played last and will automatically play that video the next time you use the "Play YouTube video" option.

Also if you switch to landscape orientation while playing a video, or select "Play YouTube video" while in landscape, the video will play automatically in full-screen mode.

Here's a screenshot of the in-app YouTube video viewing experience (in portrait mode):

remix_youtube.jpg

Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.5.2 has been released and should be available for download soon. As mentioned in my previous post, it contains the awesomely fun in-app YouTube video viewing feature plus several other enhancements and bug fixes.

The $1.50 sale is going to be ending on Wednesday 4/23. The price will be raised to $3.99, so if you're interested in grabbing the app now is the time!

Here's the complete changelog:

- (New Feature) Select 'Play YouTube video' on the Now Playing screen (or in the '...' menu next to a song) to play the YouTube video within the app. You can also tap on other video results and the next time you choose to 'Play YouTube video', it will play the last selected video. The video will go fullscreen when switching to landscape orientation.

- (Enhancement) On the Help screen, add FAQs for which audio formats are supported and reasons why songs may not be showing up in the app. Also when no music is found on the device, add an option to the popup to display additional info concerning why the songs may not be showing up.

- (Enhancement) While in playlist multi-add mode, if a Fave is tapped do not close the left-side sliding panel. This will allow you to quickly add multiple Faves to the playlist.

- (Enhancement) When downloading album art for a song, do not embed the album art into all songs in the album if the album name is undefined or if the album contains more than 25 songs (which could indicate that the songs in the album are being grouped together because the album name was undefined).

- (Enhancement) Add a Close button to the Song wiki popup. The back button will still close this popup.

- (Bug Fix) If you displayed the mini-player and immediately viewed Faves or Playlists, the background would be overly transparent (too difficult to read).

Last edited:

Audemars02

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
DanPLC;3593843d/player/reference/com/google/android/youtube/player/package-summary[/url said:
)..

- (Enhancement) When downloading album art for a song, do not embed the album art into all songs in the album if the album name is undefined or if the album contains more than 25 songs (which could indicate that the songs in the album are being grouped together because the album name was undefined).

What if an album has 30 songs, or if it's a double album with 50 songs, for example. Does this mean that it won't work for the whole album? Maybe offer a pop up option to ask if the user wants to do that?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What if an album has 30 songs, or if it's a double album with 50 songs, for example. Does this mean that it won't work for the whole album? Maybe offer a pop up option to ask if the user wants to do that?

I may land up tweaking the value (maybe to 50), but for right now it's 25 which should be good for most albums. Or maybe I'll add a popup like you suggested if the song count is high.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The big $1.50 sale is ending tomorrow! Tomorrow the price is going up to $3.99. So grab it while you can at this amazing bargain price.

And for everyone who grabbed it during the sale, thanks a lot for supporting the app. If you get a minute, please leave a review in the Play Store / Amazon App Store. It's really appreciated!

lairdchris

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Any chance of getting my problem with the album art (no results for any album) fixed?

Chris

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Any chance of getting my problem with the album art (no results for any album) fixed?

Chris

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk

It's going to be hard since I can't recreate the issue. At some point I may try to re-implement Google image searching (in addition to Bing). But until then, I'm not sure there's anything I'll be able to do to resolve your issue, which I suspect is related to your locale.

lairdchris

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be hard since I can't recreate the issue. At some point I may try to re-implement Google image searching (in addition to Bing). But until then, I'm not sure there's anything I'll be able to do to resolve your issue, which I suspect is related to your locale.

I can successfully load album art when I'm connected via VPN to a foreign server, so it's really a locale issue.

I've created a log file of a search, and as you can see, the image URLs are somehow invalid. If I take one of them, start it with "http://" and remove the "&qu" at the end, I get the desired image. Maybe a substring operation off by 3 characters?

Hope I can help with this information.

Chris

Attachments

• musicplayer.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 1

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I can successfully load album art when I'm connected via VPN to a foreign server, so it's really a locale issue.

I've created a log file of a search, and as you can see, the image URLs are somehow invalid. If I take one of them, start it with "http://" and remove the "&qu" at the end, I get the desired image. Maybe a substring operation off by 3 characters?

Hope I can help with this information.

Chris

Thanks! That's definitely helpful. Yes it does seem to be off by 3 characters somehow. I'll investigate and see if I can figure out why.

By the way, how did you pull your log? I would have asked for it, but it shouldn't be possible to pull app logs if you're running Android 4.1+ (which most people are these days). The only other way would be if you're rooted.

lairdchris

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm a professional developer myself and I know how to use Eclipse :)
And my Nexus is rooted anyway...

It would be great if you could solve it. I've been using Remix to update my music collection with album art on the fly.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm a professional developer myself and I know how to use Eclipse :)
And my Nexus is rooted anyway...

It would be great if you could solve it. I've been using Remix to update my music collection with album art on the fly.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

I have a theory about what's causing your issue. Can you email me at hedami DOT support AT gmail DOT com so I can send you a test APK to try out?

gekko59

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I will try it, because I am always looking for the swiss army knife of audio players that does precisely what I need, and has a great UI.

Features that I know I need:
Sync with iTunes playlists (I use a Mac at home and like the playlists I've set up on it and want to sync them). For now I use iSyncr to do this.
Access cloud-based services (such as Google Play Music, or Spotify, or Amazon). For now I have to use dedicated app
Gapless play with configurable cross-fade (Poweramp is what I'm using now, mostly because of this)
Plays standard playlists (Poweramp has its own format and I hate that)
Can play Audible audio books (and others) with the same bookmarking/last position memory as Audible app has
Can sync with Feedly or other rss aggregation service so I can play podcasts (I use BeyondPod)
Configurable skip ahead and skip back -- I like to skip forward 1 minute and back 20 seconds
Nice big juicy buttons for pause/play, access to playlists, and skip ahead/back/next/prev that are easy to see in the car or while on my armband while I work out
Can perma-set shuffle. Poweramp assumes sequential play and I have to access menus to get it to shuffle. I would like to set the play style
Can lock rotation separately from the device setting

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Q

I will try it, because I am always looking for the swiss army knife of audio players that does precisely what I need, and has a great UI.

Yeah give it a try to see if it works for you.

Sync with iTunes playlists (I use a Mac at home and like the playlists I've set up on it and want to sync them). For now I use iSyncr to do this.

The only playlists my app supports are the standard ones stored in the Android media database. I don't anticipate adding iTunes syncing. But if you have another app that syncs them to your device, my app should pick them up.

Access cloud-based services (such as Google Play Music, or Spotify, or Amazon). For now I have to use dedicated app

If Google or Amazon ever opens up their APIs, I'll definitely investigate adding them. But I doubt they will because then people wouldn't be driven to their respective music stores.

Gapless play with configurable cross-fade (Poweramp is what I'm using now, mostly because of this)
Gapless may be something I add one day (for Jellybean or later only).

Plays standard playlists (Poweramp has its own format and I hate that)
As mentioned above, my app already does this.

Can play Audible audio books (and others) with the same bookmarking/last position memory as Audible app has
If Audible books are in standard MP3 format, then they'll play. If they're in a proprietary format, they probably won't. Music Player (Remix) supports all audio formats supported natively in Android (see the FAQ on the app's Help screen for details).

Can sync with Feedly or other rss aggregation service so I can play podcasts (I use BeyondPod)
I don't anticipate adding this type of feature. The app's main purpose is always going to be playing and organizing music/audio. I don't plan on duplicating functions like podcast downloading that other apps do very well.

Configurable skip ahead and skip back -- I like to skip forward 1 minute and back 20 seconds
If you long tap the top of the album art, fine-tuned controls (5/30/60 seconds) will appear.

Nice big juicy buttons for pause/play, access to playlists, and skip ahead/back/next/prev that are easy to see in the car or while on my armband while I work out
The album art are the music controls. The controls are very large and easy to use in the car (do it every day myself!)

Can perma-set shuffle. Poweramp assumes sequential play and I have to access menus to get it to shuffle. I would like to set the play style
When selecting any item (album, artist, etc.) to play, you can go into the "..." menu next to the item to select "Shuffle".

Can lock rotation separately from the device setting
I had this feature in the webOS version of the app; however in Android I didn't see the need since it's so easy to lock rotation on the device. If someone wants to use my app only in portrait or landscape, locking rotation on the device while they're using the app seems like the easiest thing to do.

noseph

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Dan, I have changed KitKat ROMs on my Galaxy Nexus (from CM-Remix to Vanir) and some how in the process I am unable to now play acc (m4a) files. MPR finds the files but tells me that the player does not support this type of audio file. Any suggestions?

EDIT: updated to the latest Vanir ROM and issue is resolved.

Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.5.3 has been released and should be available soon in the Google Play Store and Amazon App Store.

Here's the changelog:

- (Enhancement) When sharing the currently playing song, if the user previously viewed the song's YouTube video using the inline YouTube player, use that video link in the shared text. Otherwise search YouTube for the song's YouTube video link.

- (Enhancement) On devices that can't support the inline YouTube viewing feature (i.e. devices like the Amazon Kindle that don't have Google's YouTube app), when selecting 'View YouTube video' and an error occurs, ask the user if they have the official YouTube app installed. If they say no, disable inline YouTube viewing and launch the device's default YouTube player. Inline YouTube viewing can be re-enabled in Preferences.

- (Bug Fix) The artist/song info on the standard notification was being cut off on certain tablets. Also improved the display of the album art on the standard notification.

- (Bug Fix) In some other countries outside the USA (like Germany), album art downloading would always fail.

- (Bug Fix) App would sometimes crash while on the Now Playing screen on devices with low memory.

- (Bug Fix) App would sometimes crash randomly.

- (Bug Fix) App would sometimes crash if music tag editing failed and the app was closed immediately afterwards.

- (Bug Fix) The borders around the album art on the Now Playing screen were not uniform on some KitKat devices. Also the Chromecast button was not perfectly aligned with the top of the album art.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.5.4 was released to fix a crashing bug introduced in 1.5.3 that manifested when the "basic lockscreen controls" option is enabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar