Can someone give me an estimate of how much data usage Google Maps uses? For instance, if you are using Google Maps to navigate, say, 1hr drive time, how many MBs will you have used?
    07-02-2010 03:17 PM
    Oh wow, using Google Maps with GPS active will have your battery dead in an hour anyway. :P But I do recall on my old Sony Ericsson phone that displayed data transfer that it downloaded about ~750 kB every time you load a new area or zoom in/out. If it's anywhere around there, usage could be 1MB per ten seconds or per minute, depending on zoom level. This is all guesswork though, you should probably use a bandwidth monitoring app such as the recently mentioned Net Counter or something similar.

EDIT: Oh, and using Layers (like the satellite imagery) is likely to have a huge impact on data usage. Something to keep in mind. Above "guesswork" is assuming you are using the Satellite layer.
    07-02-2010 06:10 PM
    But since anyone using an EVO in the US is on Sprint, and has unlimited data, it hardly seems to matter.

As for the battery, that's what car chargers are for.
    07-02-2010 09:54 PM
    But since anyone using an EVO in the US is on Sprint, and has unlimited data, it hardly seems to matter.

As for the battery, that's what car chargers are for.
    But not everyone has an Evo or Sprint or unlimited data.
    07-02-2010 10:21 PM
    Anyone? I saw this, but wonder if there is real life experience to go with that...

Update: A Google rep wrote to us, stating that while Navigation requires a data connection to plot its routes, search, and make detours and re-routes. But, once you’ve been driving a while, “as long as you don’t stray from the route, you will continue to get voice guidance even without a data connection.”
    Google Navigation is a Total GPS Replacement – As Long As You’re Connected Clanmaster's IT11 Blog
    07-03-2010 09:37 AM
    Yeah, that's true. It'll still tell you where to go just the maps won't refresh if you stray off of the route. It caches the data of where you are headed and keeps it even if you drop connectivity.
    07-03-2010 10:45 AM
    Not sure there is anyway to get a completely accurate reading on the amount of data. May want to check this thread out and see if that program would help. Netcounter
    07-03-2010 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD