Text app with group capability

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
We're transitioning from iPhone to Android (Samsung Galaxy Nexus). We want to text to a group where each reply is sent back into the group. We have tried several apps where you can address multiple people, but the replies come back outside the group. The only one we've found that handles this so far is Powow, but it requires that the group members text to a unique phone number (created when the group profile is setup). We're hoping to find something that more or less mimicks the iPhone since the other group members are using the iPhone. Thanks
Pete

Last edited:

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You didn't mention the apps you've tried. Have you tried Kik?
Thanks. I haven't tried Kik; it appears to be an IM app not an SMS/MMS app that I'm looking for. These are the ones I've tried so far:
  • Go SMS Pro
  • Handcent SMS
  • GroupMe
  • Powow

Update: We've managed to get Go SMS Pro and Handcent to handle group texting with limitations. They both seem to have an odd and annoying characteristic. When receiving a message it first arrives in a thread from the person sending it and eventually gets moved over to the group thread. Go SMS Pro moves it over automatically with a delay of a minute or two whereas Handcent requires you to touch a button called 'Download' in the thread before it gets moved. We haven't figured out how to make incoming messages land directly into the group thread. Anyone having success with an app that does group texting well with iPhone users?
Pete

Last edited:

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
As an update, Go SMS Pro seems to have stopped receiving group text messages as a group. Not sure what happened; maybe an update to app?
Pete