I'm looking at switching to verizon, since they have the best coverage where I live. But their plans are a lot more expensive than the legacy tmobile plan I'm on currently. It seems that I should be able to rely on gv for free calls and texts as long as I have data coverage. Is it reliable enough that between 3g and wifi I'll be able to make and receive calls and texts the same as if I were using minutes? Does verizon even offer data only plans? Anything else I need to know about gv?
    07-04-2010 10:26 AM
    Verizon does not offer data only plans on these devices. The incoming calls from Google Voice are free - not outgoing.

Also, keep in mind, anytime you don't have 3G you won't be able to use it, so sometimes indoors @ certain places and such, you won't get your SMS.
    07-04-2010 10:30 AM
    Where I live and where I go in North Carolina I am connected to 3g 100% of the time, even in my basement or in the warehouse basement at work.

If you are using a minutes plan that has a family and friends plan, just add your Google Voice phone number to that list and you grant yourself unlimited minutes when sending a call out or getting an incoming call from your Google Voice number.
    07-04-2010 10:50 AM
    I don't understand the posters point that if you don't have signal you won't get messages?

I've not tried sending myself messages in google voice with my phone off to see what happens when I turn it on.

I do not use the voice part of google voice, so cannot comment. The voice mail part is great as I get an sms that lets me listen to the VM in a few seconds. Texts come quickly, as fast as the rest of the family on verizon txt plans.

You also can send and receive texts from your computer with google.com/voice which is great while sitting at a laptop or work.
    07-04-2010 10:54 AM
    Is google voice reliable enough to go to data only plan?
    2 problems with your question:

1. GV is reliable but it isn't VOIP. It uses minutes unless you use it with a VOIP solution or F&F.
    2. As mentioned above, you can't get data only from VZW.
    07-04-2010 03:14 PM
    GoogleVoice calls are still normal voice calls using voice minutes. They just get forwarded through Google using a forwarding number in order to be displayed as your GV number. So data only, you'll be billed at the ~45cents per minute rate for calls.
    07-04-2010 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD