07-10-2012 03:29 PM
52 123
tools
    I have really enjoyed using Signs for the last 48 hours or so and it is definitely a keeper. All of my Company contacts if they don't have names associated are showing up as "work" at the beginning of the list as the other poster mentioned. I have 10 or 12 contacts Signed now, basically the ones that were on the HTC picture dial widget. I agree that there is a limit as to how many I can remember but as long as I keep it systematic that could be a lot more than any other speed dialer holds.

Keep up the good effort and I will look forward to the fixes.
    07-08-2010 04:39 PM
    I have really enjoyed using Signs for the last 48 hours or so and it is definitely a keeper. All of my Company contacts if they don't have names associated are showing up as "work" at the beginning of the list as the other poster mentioned. I have 10 or 12 contacts Signed now, basically the ones that were on the HTC picture dial widget. I agree that there is a limit as to how many I can remember but as long as I keep it systematic that could be a lot more than any other speed dialer holds.

Thanks! Happy to hear its a keeper . I'll definitely keep everyone updated on the Company contacts issue.
    07-08-2010 04:43 PM
    We will look at a better solution for that - maybe the ability to start typing the name would work to narrow the list. Folders might work, but I'm not sure how easily that could be implemented without complicating the process since a majority of users probably don't have the contacts separated into folders. We'll definitely research it.
    Is there any way you could simply integrate a 'create sign gesture" into the default conact list ? that way I could utilize the built-in groupings of the contact list to find someone, and simply 'add sign gesture' just as if I was addin them to favorites or calling them.

That would also mean you don't have to develop a new interface, just tie into the contact extensions (assuming android lets you).

Out of curiosity, how many speed dials would you need to create? I'm asking because I don't know how many speed dial Signs I could remember.
    Ahhh and here lies the beauty of your app...
    Granted I've not tested this just yet, I sort of got turned off as soon as I couldn't identify my contacts, but from what I read, if you assign multiple people with the same gesture you get a list to choose from... I would be creating a single gesture per company, which might have 2-5 people per... approx 10-15 companies at most is what I was thinking. At least that's how my contacts are set up in Google right now.. it's easy to open contacts.. sort by group, select a company and then choose a person.

Your app would let me click a widget, draw gesture and then pick a person. Much easier to do IMO.

And no worries on checking the thread.. I've got it set up for Subscriptions
    07-08-2010 11:51 PM
    Is there any way you could simply integrate a 'create sign gesture" into the default conact list ? that way I could utilize the built-in groupings of the contact list to find someone, and simply 'add sign gesture' just as if I was addin them to favorites or calling them.

That would also mean you don't have to develop a new interface, just tie into the contact extensions (assuming android lets you).

Ahhh and here lies the beauty of your app...
    Granted I've not tested this just yet, I sort of got turned off as soon as I couldn't identify my contacts, but from what I read, if you assign multiple people with the same gesture you get a list to choose from... I would be creating a single gesture per company, which might have 2-5 people per... approx 10-15 companies at most is what I was thinking. At least that's how my contacts are set up in Google right now.. it's easy to open contacts.. sort by group, select a company and then choose a person.

Your app would let me click a widget, draw gesture and then pick a person. Much easier to do IMO.

And no worries on checking the thread.. I've got it set up for Subscriptions
    We originally looked at having the Sign entry tie directly to the contact screen, but it really wasn't feasible.

The app does currently offer a confirmation selection if there is more than one Sign identified for a contact. That was input as a "safety confirmation" feature to prevent misdials in the event two signs were too similar. It wasn't specifically designed so that multiple contacts from the same company could have the same sign. At this time, it is limited to only showing two options when it recognizes more than one gesture because the intent was to create individual signs for each number. So from that perspective, it is unlikely that the app is going to recognize more than 2 signs at any one time.

Currently we are implementing a couple of smaller feature changes, along with attempting to resolve the issue with non-google contact lists - Exchange Active Sync contacts not showing up in the Sign contacts. Those are currently the highest priority due to the number of people specifically affected by those issues.

However, while those issues are being addressed and incorporated, I will spend some time trying to develop a simple, effective way to make the app more business-friendly. I originally developed it and designed it with the focus being on it being used for personal interactions and didn't put any real thought into business uses. The key will be to make changes which maintain the primary focus of the app as currently designed while making it work in a business environment.

The features we are discussing could potentially be pretty significant changes to how the app actually gathers the contact information and how it would have to allow for the user to make selections from multiple contacts within a specific company. Simply making minor tweaks might partially solve the problem, but they may not go far enough. In fact, some of what you describe would almost have to be performed in a completely separate app because the way Sign is programmed would have to be completely altered to make it look at the company first, then the contacts.

I will keep y'all updated with what I come up with.

I do want to thank you for the input, it has been very beneficial and made me realize that there are so many different factors that need to be considered when designing and developing an app. I can't say whether or not we'll come up with an acceptable solution to the specific issues you've raised because it is a balancing act to keep the app simple to use, lightweight, quick and responsive for the vast majority of people vs. attempting to meet the needs of specific individuals.
    07-09-2010 01:08 AM

Here's a few things to also keep in mind about how Sign identifies gestures which can help you differentiate between similar gestures.

Sign looks at the number of strokes within the total gesture, it looks at the order in which the strokes are made, and it also considers the direction the stroke is made. For example, there are 6 potential ways to draw a V that should all be identified differently.
    07-09-2010 01:50 AM
    For anyone whose premium version of Sign has stopped working overnight or today, please download the update in the market. The issue has been identified and corrected. Thank you very much to those people who informed us of the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    07-12-2010 07:21 AM
    UPDATE:

A quick update on the status of the fix for Sign not syncing with non-Google contacts. The programmer has resolved the issue and Sign is able to pull in non-Google contacts including EAS and other 3rd party contact databases. He is still in the process of optimizing it so that it runs efficiently; however, once he has that done, we will be uploading it to the market. Hopefully we'll have the updated version in the market at some point this weekend or early next week at the latest. Just a heads up for anyone who has been waiting for this issue to be resolved. We appreciate your patience.

SA
    07-21-2010 02:36 PM
    Just a heads up that it appears the EAS contacts issue has been resolved. The new version was uploaded to the market this morning. If you are still unable to see your contacts or if you experience any other issues, please let us know so we can resolve the issue.

In addition to fixing the EAS issue, there are a few other features added to the new version.

* The user can now set the default action to either call or text, depending on which they do more often
    * Sign now works as an app in addition to the original widget, allowing users to add Sign to alt-home/launcher docks (ADW Launcher, Launcher Pro and others).
    * Sign now identifies the Company/Organization name for contacts with no first/last name specified
    * Several UI/graphics-related changes

We're excited about the new update, and hope you enjoy Sign. The QR Codes for the full and lite versions are shown below.

Sign - Full Version ($1.99)
    Unlimited Contacts

Sign Lite (Free)
    3 Contacts

Simply Applied
    07-29-2010 08:20 AM
    Just a heads up that it appears the EAS contacts issue has been resolved. The new version was uploaded to the market this morning. If you are still unable to see your contacts or if you experience any other issues, please let us know so we can resolve the issue.

In addition to fixing the EAS issue, there are a few other features added to the new version.

* Sign now works as an app in addition to the original widget, allowing users to add Sign to alt-home/launcher docks (ADW Launcher, Launcher Pro and others).
    * Sign now identifies the Company/Organization name for contacts with no first/last name specified
    Nice fixes.. those two were enough to push me into the "Buy" category now The only minor item I'd like to see is a better implementation of how to choose a contact.. one long list of everyone's numbers seems a little 'odd'. I'd much rather have a single list of individual people/places and then once selected given a list of 'which number'.. but it's only done once so it's somewhat minor.

Off to make an app purchase....
    simplyapplied likes this.
    07-31-2010 09:53 AM
    DG:

Thanks for buying Sign! Also, funny that you mention that long list because I specifically added that to the list of future updates a week or so ago. One benefit of the long list is that it still shows the "Signs." However, it is tedious to scroll through the entire list. What I would like to see is similar to what you have described with each name being shown once, and you click on the name to see the numbers. It adds a click, but it shortens the scrolling, so it is likely more efficient.

My thought on showing the "Signs" was to have the name of the person slightly highlighted, indicating a Sign had been assigned to that contact. Then, when you open the name, it shows the list of numbers and the associated Sign(s).

Anyways, thanks again and thanks for the suggestion. Its definitely something we are looking at adding in the future.
    07-31-2010 10:34 AM
    Were really excited about the recent review of Sign from the team at Best Android Apps Review, a great resource for discovering new apps. Some highlights from the review!

Saves plenty of time and effort

Faster and more efficient

beautiful implementation

Go read the full review of Sign and other apps at their website: Best Android Apps Review.
    08-02-2010 08:29 AM
    Just wanted to post an update with a couple of reviews that we missed earlier.

This earlier review by mic_888 on xda was from shortly after the release in July.

xda developers

For those not familiar with the xda Developers website/forum, its another great resource (like Android Central!) for all things Android and Windows Mobile. Definitely check it out, especially if you have any questions or problems with your Android or Windows Mobile device.

Also, Android Phone Geek posted a great review of Sign last week, that we somehow missed. David Wasserman, aka The Android Phone Geek, does a great job of providing keen insight into the Android community and we’re really happy that he took the time to try out Sign and provide a fantastic review.

Anyways, wanted to pass these along and thank both mic_888 and David for their reviews.
    08-13-2010 08:04 AM
    Just a heads up that we are in the process of upgrading the graphics on Sign.

Click here to see a larger version on our blog.

We are also working on some other exciting updates, so keep an eye out for more information in the coming weeks.
    12-25-2010 12:05 PM
    We were finally able to get the graphics incorporated and updated in the market in the last few days. In addition to revising the graphics, we also added a feature to go directly to the homescreen after a call is ended. Hopefully this will prevent accidental misdials from the Call Log screen.

We aren't done adding features - we're going to implement some user control over the recognition, allow the user to save multiple Signs for each number to improve the recognition, add email, add the ability to assign gestures to apps or other shortcuts, etc. As always, we welcome suggestions, but these are just some of the features we are going to be working on over the next several weeks/months.

Here's a few screenshots - its tough to get the timing down to get the actual "Signs" in the screenshot, but there's a few.

01-22-2011 01:05 PM
    This looks like a great app! Can't wait to buy it! Thanks
    simplyapplied likes this.
    01-22-2011 03:51 PM
    Thanks Chrisy! We've still got a ways to go to add all of the features we are planning, but we're pretty excited with the re-design (minus a few tweaks we'll make in the next update). We hope you enjoy using it!
    01-22-2011 04:09 PM
    It's really nice to see a dev taking the time to make update posts here!
    01-22-2011 04:42 PM
    Chrisy:

Thanks! We're fully committed to making Sign one of the absolute best apps on the market. There have been some growing pains and its been a slower process than we hoped, but we are going to continue to make improvements. The main challenge is to add functionality while keeping it quick and easy to use.
    01-23-2011 11:03 AM
    Check out the latest review for Sign from PocketNow. He discusses Gesture Search and GestureCall before talking about Sign just after the 5 minute mark.

Just as an update, we're currently in the process of allowing multiple Signs for each contact which is the first step in allowing the Sign to dictate whether its a call or text. Also, we're looking how to improve the opening speed as well as add the ability to open apps/shortcuts.
    05-31-2011 04:58 PM
    The most recent update to Sign is now available, and its faster than ever. Version 2.3.6 speeds up the time to launch the app and also allows Sign to be opened/used even when other apps are already open. With the optional "Quick Startup" option enabled, Sign can be accessed through the notification bar at all times. Quick Startup also means Sign opens immediately - no hesitation.

We know people are concerned about battery life issues and having processes running in the background slowing the phone down; however, we specifically designed the Sign Quick Startup to prevent impacts to the battery life or phone performance. In fact, our testing indicates that Quick Startup doesn't use any additional battery power or have any impact on the phone's performance.

We've also updated the Settings menu and tweaked graphics to improve the overall appearance, as well as fixed some reported bugs with the assigned gestures database which was causing issues on some phones.

Give it a try - the Quick Startup makes a big difference in the time to activate the app and its very convenient to have Sign accessible even when other apps are open.

We still have a lot of updates planned, so stay tuned. If you have any comments or issues, just shoot me an email at chris@simplyapplied.com.
    06-30-2011 03:31 PM
    In celebration of the 4th of July, we've temporarily reduced the price from $1.99 to $0.99. The lower price is currently available in the Android Market and we're waiting for approval from the Amazon Appstore.
    07-05-2011 10:47 AM
    Sign is still on sale for $0.99 in the Android Market and Amazon Appstore. However, in an effort to make Sign even better for our users, we're considering removing the 3 contact limit from the free version (Sign Lite) and making it ad-supported. Let us know what you think.

Click Here to vote.

Thanks!
    07-11-2011 02:18 PM
    Sign is one of Gizmodo's Deals of the Day today. Pick it up for $0.99.

Also, we're going to be doing a cool giveaway in the coming weeks, so follow us on Twitter @simplyapplied to keep tab.

Finally, we still want to hear from Sign Lite users on whether they want the 3 contact limit removed. Vote here.
    07-21-2011 04:34 PM
    Simplyapplied, have a question for your speed dial app.

i just got a HTC Mytouch 4g, i am looking for a speed dial app that cal handle maybe 99 speed dials does your app do that? or do you even have a site for the app i can look at for more details?

thanks Mark
    10-07-2011 08:34 AM
    Simplyapplied, have a question for your speed dial app.

i just got a HTC Mytouch 4g, i am looking for a speed dial app that cal handle maybe 99 speed dials does your app do that? or do you even have a site for the app i can look at for more details?

thanks Mark
    Mark:

Sign can handle an unlimited number of speed dials. The biggest restriction on the number of contacts is your ability to remember the Signs for that many contacts.

Our website is Welcome Simply Applied

There's also alot of information about how Sign works HERE

Also, as a quick update, we are currently testing the next update which will include Dynamic Sign Recognition which determines whether you want to call or text a contact based on the location you start drawing the Sign. This will remove the need to select Call or Text.

Thanks,

SA
    10-07-2011 09:02 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD