New Speed Dial Widget - Sign

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
New Speed Dial Application - Sign ***Now $0.99***

We just released our first app, a speed dial widget, Sign. We would love to get everyone's feedback and comments. Here's a brief description.

Sign is a unique, gesture based speed dialer for Android which lets you call or text your friends by simply drawing a gesture (signing) directly from your home screen.

Unlike other speed dial options such as direct dial icons or quick dial widgets, you don?t have to worry about accidentally calling somebody just because you inadvertently bump your phone?s screen. Sign is still extremely fast, fun, easy to use, and best of all, you decide how to activate a text or phone call. Simply assign a gesture to any contact. To make a call or text, all you have to do is activate the widget and Sign right from your home screen. Simple and secure, it?s easy to use without even looking at your phone to find contacts or phone numbers.

We developed an enhanced recognition engine to provide a more accurate, consistent, and reliable system to recognize the gestures you assign to your contacts. Sign lets you assign single OR multi-stroke ?Signs? to the people you call or text most often.

The free version, Sign Lite, has a limit of 3 Signs

qrcodeSignLite.png

and the full version ($1.99) has unlimited Signs

qrcodeSignFull.png

Give it a try and let us know how you like it. If you have any issues with it at all, please send an email to simplyapplied@gmail.com, we'll respond quickly to fix any issues. Also, we have quite a few ideas for future updates, but suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,

Simply Applied

Last edited:

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I was actually looking for a new speed dial type of app here recently. I settled on Speed Dial Old School, which is just what i was looking for. A speed dial that would let you assign a contact to a number on the dial pad and just press "call".

this one sounds interesting though, I'll give it a shot with the light version and see how it works.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Just installed it and so far I really like it. I've only assigned 2 contacts right now but the option for call or text right there on the screen is nice. Seems really quick and responsive as well. Initial thoughts are definitely positive.

I was thinking it would be a pain to have to assign a unique symbol or letter for each contact, but given the fact that you can use the same letter ,for example, and then it brings up all the possible matches, that works out nicely. Overall the initial setup of contacts would be a pain but then this app could be quite useful. Upgrading to the pro version is almost a given unless you only have 3 contacts in your phone book..lol

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Give it a shot, we're definitely interested in your thoughts, whether you like it or not. This is our first app, so all feedback is extremely beneficial. If you have any specific issues, send us an email and we'll try to fix it. We tested it on a bunch of different phones, but not all of them. That's one of the difficulties in programming for Android.

Anyways, hope you like it. Thanks!

Edit: Just saw your reply. Thanks for the feedback.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I did notice that if you select the "text" option, and you have multiple contacts with the same symbol.. like drawing an "m" for example..that it wont give u the option to select which contact you want to text like it does when u have "call" selected. It just randomly selected one of those contacts and opened the sms app.

Im on a droid.

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't do that for the text. The thought was that accidentally calling the wrong person was much more of a nuisance because you have to scramble to hang up before it actually dials them. So that was implemented as a safe guard. With the text, you just hit back and re-Sign it. Definitely a good thought though and we'll consider adding that in a future update because I can't think of a good reason why it doesn't do that. The programmer may have had a reason and I'll have to discuss it with him.

If you have multiple contacts with similar signs, the app does allow for multiple strokes, so you can use the first and last initial or add another identifying stroke which would hopefully alleviate the problem. It would also potentially speed up the process since you wouldn't have to select which person you meant to text.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Can't get it to work on my Evo. I downloaded it, set the options, and can open the app. But when I click on the person outline icon at the top right, none of my contacts are displayed. It's just a blank screen, whether I choose "View All" or "View Assigned."

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it on my EVO. Not bad so far. I was originally looking for an icon dialer, where I just touch a picture, but this seems pretty easy. You have the grey top and bottom, but in the middle you see everything on the screen that is underneath. You could have the option of a plain white, or other color screens. Or you could have an option to use whatever background the user has, minus all the icons and Sense Weather widget, etc. For the widget can you add text with the icon as an alternative also? If I think of any other suggestions I will let you know. I am going to test it a little more before I buy, but it does look very promising.

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't get it to work on my Evo. I downloaded it, set the options, and can open the app. But when I click on the person outline icon at the top right, none of my contacts are displayed. It's just a blank screen, whether I choose "View All" or "View Assigned."

Meyer...sorry you're having problems. We've tested with several EVOs and once we worked out a small bug with Sense, it seemed to work on those. If you don't mind helping us debug the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Just send an email to simplyapplied@gmail.com and we'll send you back some easy instructions that should help us identify the issue.

Thanks!

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it on my EVO. Not bad so far. I was originally looking for an icon dialer, where I just touch a picture, but this seems pretty easy. You have the grey top and bottom, but in the middle you see everything on the screen that is underneath. You could have the option of a plain white, or other color screens. Or you could have an option to use whatever background the user has, minus all the icons and Sense Weather widget, etc. For the widget can you add text with the icon as an alternative also? If I think of any other suggestions I will let you know. I am going to test it a little more before I buy, but it does look very promising.

Thanks for the feedback. We are definitely planning on incorporating some customization for the widget and for the "screen" in the future. Glad you like it though!

Also, one thing I found with the icon dialers/direct dial icons was that I would accidentally hit them from time to time and call people without meaning to. I accidentally called my pregnant wife a couple of times at about 2 in the morning and that's what led to the idea of creating something that wouldn't be so easy to accidentally call people

Last edited:

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Sign works as advertised on my INC. The whole concept of this app was really well thought out and the implementation perfect. Don't try to slow it down by adding features that do not enhance the original purpose, to quickly and accurately dial or text.

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Sign works as advertised on my INC. The whole concept of this app was really well thought out and the implementation perfect. Don't try to slow it down by adding features that do not enhance the original purpose, to quickly and accurately dial or text.

BallCoach...Thank You. We spent a fair amount of time trying to think it through and make it as simple and easy to use as possible.

Although the primary focus was developing a reliable gesture recognition system, we definitely want it to be quick and responsive, since that's the purpose of a speed dial app.

We appreciate the input!

FuManChuu

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure this is my kind of speed dial (although admittedly, it functions better than anything I've tested thus far) but the polish, and the non-gimped Lite version are commendable.

Keep up the great development.

EDIT: Would certainly like to be able to default call/text. I would use this 99 times to text versus once to call, so having to hit text each time i launch the widget would grow old.

EDITEDIT: Also, the difference between call and text may be a bit too subtle... you can barely tell which one is selected.

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure this is my kind of speed dial (although admittedly, it functions better than anything I've tested thus far) but the polish, and the non-gimped Lite version are commendable.

Keep up the great development.

EDIT: Would certainly like to be able to default call/text. I would use this 99 times to text versus once to call, so having to hit text each time i launch the widget would grow old.

EDITEDIT: Also, the difference between call and text may be a bit too subtle... you can barely tell which one is selected.

Thanks, and two great suggestions. I had already talked with the programmer about increasing the text size on selected buttons based on a couple other comments and we will do that. Also, we really like the idea of letting the user choose the default for call/text, so we are going to implement that this week also.

Glad you like it and happy to hear it is working well. Hopefully the "gesture" based concept will grow on you over the course of a few days.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps make the "text" and "call" buttons text not necessarily "bigger" to show which one is selected, but rather change the color of the font? Just a thought. Either way this app shows some serious promise! keep up the good work!

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Chill...that's a good suggestion and actually, early on we actually had them as different colors, but the question was which one was activated, the "blue" one or the brighter "white" one? So we went with a size difference instead - we just need to bump up the font on the "selected" one a little bit. Hopefully that will make it a little more clear.

Thanks!

As an aside, does anyone here have an HTC Desire? One of the comments someone left was a problem with the Desire not showing the full menu. They didn't send an e-mail so we can't determine what the actual problem was, i.e., a resolution issue or something else. If anyone has a Desire, please let us know if you have any issues. Thank you.

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, using a free app called ShootMe (Johan Cloetens), which worked great, I was able to upload some new screenshots. These do a better job of indicating how you Sign from the homescreen than the ones in the market.

I apologize in advance for the size, I really resized them a couple of times but it isn't shrinking them when I post them here.

The contact list with assigned gestures
Screenshot3-1.png

A single stroke Sign on the homescreen
Screenshot2-1.png

A multi-stroke Sign on the homescreen
Screenshot1-1.png

Multiple gestures within one Sign
1234-1.png

Call confirmation
Screenshot4-1.png

The settings screen
Screenshot5-1.png

Contact Assignment Screen
Screenshot6.png

Last edited:

simplyapplied

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
A quick note - We've had mostly positive reviews so far and only one significant bug identified - Sign currently only syncs with Google contacts, so if you use EAS/3rd party contact lists, these currently do not show up in the list of contacts you can assign a gesture to. This is a known issue that the programmer is working to implement a fix. If you have this issue and want us to keep you updated, send us an e-mail at simplyapplied@gmail.com and we will let you know as soon as that problem has been resolved.

Also, if you have any suggestions, please let us know. We are currently working on an update to implement a few suggestions we've already received. The primary change will be Kollock's suggestion above to allow the user to set either call OR text as the default action. Hopefully that will reduce how often you have to select one or the other. We are also going to make the selected button more distinguishable.

Thanks to everyone who has tried it out and for all of the comments/suggestions!

SA

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laogui32