Hello,

Anyone know if you can set up "push" in k-9 mail?

I can get it to sync my messages and folders every hour on an IMAP connection, however it would be cool if it would PUSH messages to me as they hit my inbox.

I believe MailDroid can do this. I emailed k-9 support, haven't heard back.

M
    07-07-2010 02:13 PM
    Hello,

Anyone know if you can set up "push" in k-9 mail?

I can get it to sync my messages and folders every hour on an IMAP connection, however it would be cool if it would PUSH messages to me as they hit my inbox.

I believe MailDroid can do this. I emailed k-9 support, haven't heard back.

M
    yes, MailDroid does this.
    07-07-2010 02:49 PM
    Hello,

Thanks! Was wondering if K-9 mail could support this though.

M
    07-07-2010 03:56 PM
    Yes, K-9 Mail does push. Works great!

Go into your account settings and scroll down and tap on "Folders to check with push", then select your desired setting. I have mine set to All.
    07-07-2010 06:35 PM
    So does this mean it will push and poll?
    07-08-2010 08:21 AM
    So does this mean it will push and poll?
    K-9 and MailDroid are the two IMAP Idle Push clients available. They do both push and pull depending on the mail server.

1. IMAP supports push and POP3 does not support push
    2. Some IMAP don't even support Idle
    3. Hotmail is starting to support ActiveSync
    4. POP3 servers in general support pull

You should use either k-9 or maildroid depending on which one works for you.
    07-08-2010 08:26 AM
    Hello,

So here are my settings:

Account Settings: (IMAP Connection)
    Folder Poll check: 1 hour
    Folders to check with Poll: 1st class
    Folders to check with Push: All

Incoming Mail Server settings:
    Poll when connecting for Push (checked)
    Refresh Idle Connection (every 24 minutes)
    Max Folders to check with Push (10 Folders)

I don't seem to be getting mail messages pushed to my device. I only recieve messages when it Poll's, which is every hour.

I am assuming this should work, as far as my mail server goes, since it worked on MailDroid from the same mail server. If it's K-9 that can not, then that's another story.

Thanks for your help.
    07-08-2010 09:02 AM
    Hello,

So here are my settings:

I don't seem to be getting mail messages pushed to my device. I only recieve messages when it Poll's, which is every hour.

I am assuming this should work, as far as my mail server goes, since it worked on MailDroid from the same mail server. If it's K-9 that can not, then that's another story.

Thanks for your help.
    I can not speak for K-9 since I don't use it and I am biased. However, look at comments in the marketplace as some people I know state that they don't get email pushed. Having said that, many users love k-9 and say push works great :-)

Both are very good products, you just need to choose the one that works best for you and your mailserver.
    07-08-2010 09:12 AM
    um.. what does it mean by push?
    07-08-2010 10:36 AM
    um.. what does it mean by push?
    1. Push e-mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2. IMAP IDLE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-08-2010 11:44 AM
    Hello,

So here are my settings:

Thanks for your help.
    Try setting your "Folder Poll check Frequency" to Never. I typically only run a poll once an hour and set push to never.

I set Poll Check to never and Folders to check with push to All and it's working good for me.
    07-08-2010 12:20 PM
    Hello,

So here are my settings:

Thanks for your help.
    Those are my settings and push works just fine for me. I don't know what else to tell you.
    07-08-2010 12:24 PM
    One question that hasn't been asked yet, what provider are you getting your imap connection from? If it isn't gmail then the provider your using then it's possible the server you are using doesn't support the idle command.
    07-08-2010 12:30 PM
    It is my school email, though the push option worked just fine with MailDroid. I thought the Push feature was identical on K-9 and MailDroid.
    07-08-2010 12:41 PM
    It is my school email, though the push option worked just fine with MailDroid. I thought the Push feature was identical on K-9 and MailDroid.
    Idle Push is one technology, but it may be implemented differently...our code is not the same.
    07-08-2010 12:46 PM
    So with these settings...

Will this allow me to receive email instantly as soon as it is sent to my email address? I'm currently using Rogers yahoo email.
    09-07-2010 11:56 PM
    I love k9. Iam using imap email and was not getting my mail till I installed it. I poll every 10 minutes.
    09-08-2010 01:07 AM
    Hello,

So here are my settings:

Thanks for your help.
    New to K-9 mail and trying to follow some of these tips for set up. What am I missing that my "Push folders" is not active (I cannot select it) in my account settings???
    10-22-2011 06:43 PM
    I stumbled on this thread because i am having the exact same problem. I have my Hotmail account set up to 'Push' but the only time i get emails is when i manually refresh the inbox or i wait 15 mins for the inbox to poll.

Can anyone who is successfully getting emails pushed (ie. receiveing them moments after sending them automatically) please post your settings or any tips you did in order to receive emails automatically? It would be much appreciated, thanks
    10-29-2014 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD