Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a problem with 1.7.1: when browsing My Music > Artists, I get nothing --where I should see a list of albums for the artist. Other browsing of my library (e.g., the Albums menu) works as expected. Just sideloaded a saved copy of 1.7.0 and it works fine, so it is something that changed in the most recent app update.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I'm not experiencing this problem and I tested on both a Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.4) and a Nexus 5 (Android 5.1) while connecting to server running 7.7.5 and a server running 7.8.1. Try reinstalling the new version. Any list that shows albums goes through the same code, so there really is not reason why one list of albums will show while another doesn't.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm running 7.9, as I have been for months (I know you don't support it). I have reinstalled 1.7.1 and the problem persists. I am seeing it on both my Samsung S6 phone running Lollipop and a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 tablet on KitKat. Sideloading 1.7.0 fixes the problem on both.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm running 7.9, as I have been for months (I know you don't support it). I have reinstalled 1.7.1 and the problem persists. I am seeing it on both my Samsung S6 phone running Lollipop and a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 tablet on KitKat. Sideloading 1.7.0 fixes the problem on both.

Just tried it on a server running 7.9 and in works fine. Both Album Artists and All Artists work, though when I changed the browse mode on the server to just show 'Artist', the Artist item didn't even show up in Squeeze Ctrl.

I'm testing with build 1428327734 of 7.9.

Update:
Ok, I looked at what the server was sending Squeeze Ctrl and it looks like it doesn't even send the 'Artist' item. I think it's a bug in the server.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Strange. That is the build of 7.9 I am using. It is obvious that something in my LMS configuration is interacting with some change between 1.7.0 and 1.7.1. I have always used Single Configurable List of Artists and haven't changed the advanced browse modes. I'll investigate further.

I do notice that it is definitely just a display issue -- even though I can't see an albums list when I browse to an Artist, if I use the drop-down menu I can add to the current Playlist and all the artist's albums/tracks show up there.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I noticed something else: if I browse to an artist and select "Save to Favorites", after confirming the action the list of albums for the artist suddenly appears. The same thing happens if I select "Artist Information" (I have Michael Herger's Music & Artist Information plugin installed). This doesn't stick, though -- if I back out and then select the same artist, I get no album list.

Is it possibly related to library size? I have 2563 albums with 36472 songs by 675 (album) artists -- not huge, but not small.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I noticed something else: if I browse to an artist and select "Save to Favorites", after confirming the action the list of albums for the artist suddenly appears. The same thing happens if I select "Artist Information" (I have Michael Herger's Music & Artist Information plugin installed). This doesn't stick, though -- if I back out and then select the same artist, I get no album list.

Is it possibly related to library size? I have 2563 albums with 36472 songs by 675 (album) artists -- not huge, but not small.

It's shouldn't be size since it works when you browse the full list of albums.

When you browse the artist, if you tap the "A-Z" button, does anything show up in the jump list?

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
It's shouldn't be size since it works when you browse the full list of albums.

Yeah...just grasping at straws there.

When you browse the artist, if you tap the "A-Z" button, does anything show up in the jump list?

Nope. Only thing that happens when clicking the button is that the "gutter" to the left (where the alphabet would be if there was a list of albums) appears/disappears.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Only thing that happens when clicking the button is that the "gutter" to the left (where the alphabet would be if there was a list of albums) appears/disappears.
Ok, I was hoping that maybe it's just some sort of redrawing problem, but it looks the server is returning an empty list. The server probably doesn't like something in the command the app is sending.

Is your album sort method set to Artist,Year,Album? When I tried changing to that, the server returned an empty list. The other two methods worked fine.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Bingo. I have always had my sort set that way. Changed it to Album and the albums list appears.

I ran some tests and the server is returning the correct data, so the problem must be with how the app is processing that data. However, that part didn't change from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1, so I don't why it worked in 1.7.0. I'm going to have to dig a little deeper.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, makes sense that the data is being sent, as it appeared properly after a "Save to Favorites" or "Artist information" command.

Thanks as always!

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, makes sense that the data is being sent, as it appeared properly after a "Save to Favorites" or "Artist information" command.

Thanks as always!

It actually turns out to be about the 'A-Z' list. When there is an a-z list, the main list doesn't get drawn until the data for the a-z list returns. However, when you're sorting by artist,year,album, there is no a-z list since the order is no longer alphabetical so I don't send the command to retrieve that list. In 1.7.0 I checked if there is supposed to be an 'a-z' list and if not I would draw the list immediately. In 1.7.1 I moved a statement down by a couple of lines and that check is no longer done so the list never gets drawn.

When you save a favorite, the list is reloaded and the reload procedure is slightly different so that bug is not encountered.

brausebirne

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
Thanks for this nice app!
I have one little problem: I'm running the latest version of LMS (7.9) and the app is not able the show my saved playlists. Squeeze Commander and Squeezer can do it, Orange Squeeze can't.
I can save playlists with Squeeze Ctrl but they don't appear. Squeeze Commander can also show and play the lists saved with Squeeze Ctrl...

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi!
Thanks for this nice app!
I have one little problem: I'm running the latest version of LMS (7.9) and the app is not able the show my saved playlists. Squeeze Commander and Squeezer can do it, Orange Squeeze can't.
I can save playlists with Squeeze Ctrl but they don't appear. Squeeze Commander can also show and play the lists saved with Squeeze Ctrl...

Ok, I tested it and there is a problem. Squeeze Ctrl will show the playlists, but the list display has an alignment problem and the first playlist item is hidden under the filter bar. Try adding a few more playlists and you should be able to see the later ones. I'll fix this in the next update.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I updated the app but unfortunately the lists with the playlists is still empty.

First let me say that I do not officially support ver. 7.9 of LMS since it is a developmental branch. This means that it will be continuously changing and making sure that Squeeze Ctrl will work with it would be like hitting a moving target.

Having said that, I did try Squeeze Ctrl with a recent build (1428327734) and the list of playlists works fine. Are you using a recent build of 7.9? Do you have any plugins that affect the playlists? Have you tried rescanning (a full rescan can fix a lot of problems) or restarting your server?

If Orange Squeeze can't read the playlists either, then maybe the problem is with the server.

As to why Squeeze Commander and Squeezer can read the playlists, I suspect those two access the server using a slightly different method than Squeeze Ctrl (in fact I'm pretty sure that's the case for Squeeze Commander) and that method bypassed the bug in the server.

brausebirne

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I use the extended search to filter some artists which don't shall appear in the artist list (e. g. artists from audiobooks). They appear in an extra catagory.
I saved the search and got another library. When I select this new library everything works like I want it except the playlists in your app. If I select the complete library the playlists appear also in Squeeze Ctrl.
I hope you can fix it.

Btw. I use the version 7.9.0-1431440256.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I use the extended search to filter some artists which don't shall appear in the artist list (e. g. artists from audiobooks). They appear in an extra catagory.
I saved the search and got another library. When I select this new library everything works like I want it except the playlists in your app. If I select the complete library the playlists appear also in Squeeze Ctrl.
I hope you can fix it.

Btw. I use the version 7.9.0-1431440256.
I think the Library Views feature does not work with playlists yet, because playlists won't show up in the browser interface either when you're using a library view.

Squeeze Commander talks to the server using an older protocol that bypasses these new features so the playlists will still show up.