Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
This is the official support thread for Squeeze Control for Android.

Squeeze Control has been republished as Squeeze Ctrl after the former app was removed from the Play Store.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....angrygoat.android.squeezectrl&token=fWv4PLRI

For current owners who wish to purchase the republished version, email or pm me your order number and I will refund your original purchase. It looks like Google will only let me refund orders as old as late October 2013 and this limit will probably slowly move forward too.

Also, the licensing system within the original app is still functional and refunding the app will probably cause the existing app to stop working.

If you bought tablet mode, I will need the order number of that purchase as well to refund it.

Intents for use with Tasker:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...le-for-Android&p=804591&viewfull=1#post804591

Squeeze Control has been removed from Google Play due to Google's idiotic belief that the display of album covers requires the content owners authorization.

For current owners who need to sideload the app, the APK is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ma4qIIb20ALWVPblcwYmVUbzQ/view?usp=sharing

This apk will never be updated.

For anyone who feel that the removal was unfair and would like to protest, I would recommend flagging the "Google Play Music" app as inappropriate with the following reason "This app is not authorized to publish album covers on behalf of the original content or brand owner"

Last edited by a moderator:

gg48gg

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this app and happy to support. I do have a question...

How do I get pandora, etc to show up under My Apps in your app? I see them in my web control via a browser, and can play pandora, etc on my players, however, I don't see them under My Apps in the Squeeze Control app.

I am using two squeezeslave players running on windows 7 machines. No hard players. Thanks.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this app and happy to support. I do have a question...

How do I get pandora, etc to show up under My Apps in your app? I see them in my web control via a browser, and can play pandora, etc on my players, however, I don't see them under My Apps in the Squeeze Control app.

I am using two squeezeslave players running on windows 7 machines. No hard players. Thanks.
It should automatically show up in My Apps. Try restarting your server. You might also try logging in the MySqueezebox.com. Maybe you had it disabled in the My Apps settings there. Changes to the settings on MySB takes a bit of time to propagate to the local server.

Also does it show up in App Gallery?

Klaus Binder

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought the squeeze controller for my nexus 7. It does recognize my server but refuses to connect. I tried creating a new server,... Nothing I am stuck at the login page.
I don't have the latest squeezserver as there had Ben issues in the past with the updates on Linux. Any. Suggestions?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought the squeeze controller for my nexus 7. It does recognize my server but refuses to connect. I tried creating a new server,... Nothing I am stuck at the login page.
I don't have the latest squeezserver as there had Ben issues in the past with the updates on Linux. Any. Suggestions?

What do you mean by login screen? Are you referring to the login popup dialog or the login screen that shows up the first time you connect to mysqueezebox.com? The login dialog should only show up if you enabled security on your squeezebox server. If you do not have a mysqueezebox.com account then you need to turn off "Use MySqueezeBox" in Preferences -> Servers.

Squeeze Control should at least be able to connect to older versions of Squeezebox server back till 7.5.4. I just can't guarantee that everything works with older versions because I haven't tested it.

Dennis Mutsaers

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I?ve just bought squeezecontrol and it looks like a nice app. However, I noticed that the icons from 3rd party plug-ins/apps are not shown on the main menu, i.e. Trackstat, Sugarcube, CustomBrowse. Is this something that can be changed/added/fixed?

Last edited:

cram_cram

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm using SqueezeControl with my Google Nexus 7 for quite some time already. Since the latest upgrades (tablet mode) I can't fast forward within a song anymore. When I start fast forwarding, the music stops for some miliseconds, I move the slider to another part of the song, as soon as I let the slider go the song continues where it actually has been. So no fast forwarding. On the Squeezeboxes itsself it works, so it can't be a server error.

Dennis Mutsaers

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm not able to select some artists using "My Music", "Artist", "Artist Name". It just waits & waits & waits and then quits. Is this a known issue? (Selecting the same artist in i.e. Orange Squeeze does not exhibit this behaviour). I hope you can help...

Jocke W

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm not able to select some artists using "My Music", "Artist", "Artist Name". It just waits & waits & waits and then quits. Is this a known issue? (Selecting the same artist in i.e. Orange Squeeze does not exhibit this behaviour). I hope you can help...

Hi all
I am experiancing similar problems

When I try to open certain maps or playlists the program locks and the nothing happens exept for the swirling cirkel. After that if I return backwards I am unable to open any *maps at all, the only solution I found is to close and restart the app. It's always the same maps or playlists not any random phenomen. All my music is either flac or wav files and the maps that are causing problem does not contain anything special from the ones that workAny ideas would be appreciated.

I am running squeezebox control on samsung GT-N8010 android 4.1.2
Logitech mediacenter is on a synology DS413j
Cheers Jocke

hoffsta

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've just started using this app on a Nook Color tablet. Aside from the performance issues due to the age of the Nook, the app is pretty good. I'm used to using iPeng on my iPhone so there are a few things that bug me about the UI but mostly I can get used to them. One feature I'd really like to see implemented would be some way to customize the items that appear on the Home menu. On my SqueezePlay software players, I can add and remove items, such as adding Pandora & Mog while removing Extras & App Gallery, etc. It would be great if this feature could be implemented on Squeeze Control.

Dave Woods

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an Android tablet (Nexus 7 2013) and the app. I quite like it it.

Im a longtime iPeng user (one of my players *is* actually an ipad running ipeng) and miss the lyrics plugin support.

Also in regards to SBPlayer... USB Audio support needs to be added for bitperfect 24/96 playback. I'd rather use an Android as a player since I can connect a USB DAC to it, yet it can still charge via QI induction. The only app I know of that does is USB Audio Recorder Pro.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just bought an Android tablet (Nexus 7 2013) and the app. I quite like it it.

Im a longtime iPeng user (one of my players *is* actually an ipad running ipeng) and miss the lyrics plugin support.

Also in regards to SBPlayer... USB Audio support needs to be added for bitperfect 24/96 playback. I'd rather use an Android as a player since I can connect a USB DAC to it, yet it can still charge via QI induction. The only app I know of that does is USB Audio Recorder Pro.

Well bit perfect 24/96 audio is really up to Google and probably the device manufacturers. Currently there is no way of sending raw 24bit audio into the system. USB Audio Recorder Pro does it by writing a custom USB driver and bypassing the system. I don't have the resources to do something like that and doing so will probably cause other problems like not being able to react to other audio sources on the device, like pausing when a phone call comes in.

Another problem is that to support crossfading and gapless playback, all output audio has to be of the same format which means that if the output is set to 24/96 every music stream has to be resampled to 24/96 and most devices are not fast enough to do a 44.1 to 96 resample in realtime. I've tried a 44.1 to 48 resample on a Galaxy Nexus with two different resamplers (one is faster) and neither could keep up all the time. The faster one can just about do it when the app is in the foreground, but once it goes in the background or the screen turns off, it starts to stutter. (BTW, I used the slower one in SB Player for better sound quality). It might be possible if I used a resampler written in native code, but then I'll run into possible compatibility issues with future hardware changes and I'd rather not deal with that.

Dave Woods

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. As a long time iOS user, Android is a bit of an adjustment and in many ways it seems its not as polished or as featured as iOS, even if it does offer more freedom. In terms of 16/44 material (which most of my music is), will it at least bypass the Android mixer if a USB DAC is attached (replay gain and crossfade disable of course)? My main use is on a tablet with a beefier CPU as a potential Logitech Touch replacement should mine ever die.

Redmark53

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I purchased SB Player and Squeeze Control for my Kobo arc tablet, running Android 4.1.1. Both apps loaded fine and SB Player finds my Logitech Media Player server (v. 7.7.3). Squeeze Control opens to a red-toned screen with controls on the upper right and across the bottom. But the middle of the screen is just blank red with the message:
ERROR
Network Error: invalid clientid
This is strange, because SB Player finds my server. Also, I am able to use the Logitech Squeezebox app on the same tablet to run the radio, connecting through mysqueezebox.com. At this point the app is completely useless and does nothing. What is wrong?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. As a long time iOS user, Android is a bit of an adjustment and in many ways it seems its not as polished or as featured as iOS, even if it does offer more freedom. In terms of 16/44 material (which most of my music is), will it at least bypass the Android mixer if a USB DAC is attached (replay gain and crossfade disable of course)? My main use is on a tablet with a beefier CPU as a potential Logitech Touch replacement should mine ever die.

Not sure what happens if a USB DAC is attached, I haven't gotten a chance to try it. From looking around the web, it seems that 48kHz can pass thru to a USB DAC, which seems to indicate that it would bypass the Android mixer. So 16/44 would probably work the same way.

BTW Crossfade and replay gain is applied to the audio in SB Player before sending it into the system, so even if you're using an USB DAC, they should still work. The latest version of SB Player (just released), has the option to allow you to output 48kHz audio. It would let you go higher too, but it seems that Android is limited to 48kHz right now. As a side note, I think the more recent devices actually use a DAC with native sampling rate of 48kHz, at least that is the case with the Nexus 7 (2013) and the Nexus 5.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I purchased SB Player and Squeeze Control for my Kobo arc tablet, running Android 4.1.1. Both apps loaded fine and SB Player finds my Logitech Media Player server (v. 7.7.3). Squeeze Control opens to a red-toned screen with controls on the upper right and across the bottom. But the middle of the screen is just blank red with the message:
ERROR
Network Error: invalid clientid
This is strange, because SB Player finds my server. Also, I am able to use the Logitech Squeezebox app on the same tablet to run the radio, connecting through mysqueezebox.com. At this point the app is completely useless and does nothing. What is wrong?

Have you tried restarting the server? An "invalid clientid" error means that LMS is complaining about the id the app is sending with every command, but that id is assigned by LMS when the connection is initiated. Basically it's something that shouldn't happen unless there's a problem with the server or the network connection.

Are you using auto server discovery to connect or did you manually define a server?

SB Player connects to the server using a completely different protocol, so the fact that it connects doesn't mean much when discussing controller apps.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I was just wondering if there's a way to shuffle the current playlist. It's probably obvious, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Just tap the area with the player in the foot bar to open the player menu. From there you can set Repeat, Shuffle, Sleep, switch players, change the background for the player, and set a player as default.