Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

Redmark53

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Wayne,
Sorry for the slow reply; I have been trying many things to get this to work. Yes, I tried restarting the server. Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server. After much fiddling with various buttons, the centre screen of Squeeze Control was magically populated with content, and I was able to play both radio and MP3 music, accessing mysqueezebox.com and my local server. That lasted about ten minutes, until I pushed the wrong button and the program shut down. "Sorry the program has to close." After that, it crashed about six more times, then went back to the same message, "invalid clientid." My LMS is running on a NetGear ReadyNAS II, and I thought maybe that was the problem, so I installed LMS on my Windows 7 PC. Squeeze Player and Squeeze Control both find the server on the PC, but same message, "invalid clientid." I have run out of ideas to try. What next?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Wayne,
Sorry for the slow reply; I have been trying many things to get this to work. Yes, I tried restarting the server. Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server. After much fiddling with various buttons, the centre screen of Squeeze Control was magically populated with content, and I was able to play both radio and MP3 music, accessing mysqueezebox.com and my local server. That lasted about ten minutes, until I pushed the wrong button and the program shut down. "Sorry the program has to close." After that, it crashed about six more times, then went back to the same message, "invalid clientid." My LMS is running on a NetGear ReadyNAS II, and I thought maybe that was the problem, so I installed LMS on my Windows 7 PC. Squeeze Player and Squeeze Control both find the server on the PC, but same message, "invalid clientid." I have run out of ideas to try. What next?

Wow, that's really strange. Are you running the Kobo's stock OS or are you using a custom ROM? Have you tried rebooting the device? Did you mess with any developer/hidden settings on the device?

I was going to say that maybe you don't have enough RAM, but the Kobo has 1Gb, which should be just fine unless you have something running in the background eating up memory.

Dave Woods

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just want to say nice job on the latest update. Used it for a few days and love the swipe left and right to go from now playing to playlist and back to main menu.

Stefan Kaczor

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for a great app, which seems to include all the features other squeezebox apps don't :) However, it would be really nice if the Keep screen on feature didn't just apply to docking or charging, but always if the app is open (ie not just running in the background). The app Squeeze Commander can do this, so it must be possible :)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for a great app, which seems to include all the features other squeezebox apps don't :) However, it would be really nice if the Keep screen on feature didn't just apply to docking or charging, but always if the app is open (ie not just running in the background). The app Squeeze Commander can do this, so it must be possible :)

Just submitted an update that adds this option.

Steelguitarguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought Squeeze Control a couple of days ago and it has definitely enhanced my Squeezebox listening experience. Thanks for a great app.

One suggestion for an update: When I plug a device into the Line-in input on the Squeezebox, a Line In option shows up on the main menu of the Squeezebox, but does not show in Squeeze Control. Also, when I am operating a device using the line-in input, I can no longer control Squeezebox volume with the mobile app.

Is there any way of building this function into the app, or is there a way to access Line-in on the app that I?m missing?

Jerry

Steelguitarguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought Squeeze Control a couple of days ago and it has definitely enhanced my Squeezebox listening experience. Thanks for a great app.

One suggestion for an update: When I plug a device into the Line-in input on the Squeezebox, a Line In option shows up on the main menu but does not show in Squeeze Control. Also, when I am operating a device using the line-in input, I can no longer control Squeezebox volume with the mobile app.

Is there any way of building this function into the app, or is there a way to access Line-in on the app that I?m missing?

Jerry

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

One suggestion for an update: When I plug a device into the Line-in input on the Squeezebox, a Line In option shows up on the main menu but does not show in Squeeze Control. Also, when I am operating a device using the line-in input, I can no longer control Squeezebox volume with the mobile app.

Is there any way of building this function into the app, or is there a way to access Line-in on the app that I’m missing?

Jerry
Just tried the Line-In on my Squeezebox Boom. The Line-In item shows up in the Current Playlist which is actually where it shows up on the Squeezebox too. If you had other tracks on the playlist when you plug a device into the Line-in, you can switch between it and the other tracks.

Volume also worked fine. Try looking in Settings > Audio. My you had fixed the audio to a certain level when something is plugged the line-in. On my boom, I couldn't hear anything from the line-in and the volume controls didn't seem to work until I increased the line-in level.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been having an issue with recent versions 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 -- they aren't properly keeping the app active in the background (icon/info in notification area disappears, app disappears from list of running apps). This doesn't seem to happen when the phone is plugged into a power source, only on battery. It usually happens within a few minutes of running the app.

I am often using the phone (or just have it sitting here) with Squeeze Commander running in the background. With this latest problem, my music no longer pauses when I phone call comes in and I have to scramble for a volume control.

Hopefully this can get fixed. I've reverted to Orange Squeeze in the meantime.

I'm on a Motorola Droid Maxx running KitKat, BTW.

Steelguitarguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just tried the Line-In on my Squeezebox Boom. The Line-In item shows up in the Current Playlist which is actually where it shows up on the Squeezebox too. If you had other tracks on the playlist when you plug a device into the Line-in, you can switch between it and the other tracks.

Volume also worked fine. Try looking in Settings > Audio. My you had fixed the audio to a certain level when something is plugged the line-in. On my boom, I couldn't hear anything from the line-in and the volume controls didn't seem to work until I increased the line-in level.

Thanks for the quick reply. Just checked it out. On my radio the Line-in option is only on the main menu, nothing shows up in Current Playlist either on the radio or on the app. The only thing showing on Current Playlist in the app is the song being played. Any other options for accessing Line-in on the app?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Just checked it out. On my radio the Line-in option is only on the main menu, nothing shows up in Current Playlist either on the radio or on the app. The only thing showing on Current Playlist in the app is the song being played. Any other options for accessing Line-in on the app?

Can you control the line-in from the LMS's web interface? If you can't, then there's no way for Squeeze Control to work with it either.

For the Boom the server actually uses a plugin to control the line-in. The plugin is installed by default, but it could be deactivated. Maybe the Radio is the same way?

Steelguitarguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Can you control the line-in from the LMS's web interface? If you can't, then there's no way for Squeeze Control to work with it either.

For the Boom the server actually uses a plugin to control the line-in. The plugin is installed by default, but it could be deactivated. Maybe the Radio is the same way?

In LMS when I go to the Settings/Plugins page there’s a line there for Line In (v1.0) with a note “Line In for Boom.” Under Music Source on the web interface, the choices are mysquuezzebox.com and my local server. I don’t see an option for switching to Line anywhere on the LMS interface.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
In LMS when I go to the Settings/Plugins page there’s a line there for Line In (v1.0) with a note “Line In for Boom.” Under Music Source on the web interface, the choices are mysquuezzebox.com and my local server. I don’t see an option for switching to Line anywhere on the LMS interface.

I seems like the Radio's Line-In may not be controllable remotely.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been having an issue with recent versions 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 -- they aren't properly keeping the app active in the background (icon/info in notification area disappears, app disappears from list of running apps). This doesn't seem to happen when the phone is plugged into a power source, only on battery. It usually happens within a few minutes of running the app.

I am often using the phone (or just have it sitting here) with Squeeze Commander running in the background. With this latest problem, my music no longer pauses when I phone call comes in and I have to scramble for a volume control.

Hopefully this can get fixed. I've reverted to Orange Squeeze in the meantime.

I'm on a Motorola Droid Maxx running KitKat, BTW.

Actually this sounds more like a Wifi problem. My guess is that when the device is on battery power the Wifi goes into low power mode after a while causing the connection to drop. When that happens Squeeze Control will try to reconnect, but if it can't do so after while it will give up and since the app is already in the background it will exit.

Did you upgrade to KitKat recently? Was it right before version 1.3.3 of Squeeze Control?

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...that is certainly something to consider. It has been over a month since I updated to KitKat (12/19), but with the holidays and all I wasn't around using my Squeezeboxes as much and may not have noticed anything.

I just looked at my advanced WiFi settings (which I don't think I have since updating to KitKat). I see that "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" is set to Always (as I always have done). I also see that "Wi-Fi optimization (minimize battery usage when Wi-Fi is on)" is checked. I don't recall doing that...and it would seem to be the prime suspect. I have unchecked that setting, and at least in my (brief) testing, it seems to have resolved the problem (I'll post back if it turns out not to be the case).

Thanks!

UPDATE: Unfortunately, I was too early with my optimistic report. It's now done the disappearing act a couple of times, even after rebooting to make sure the WiFi setting change "took." Any other ideas about things I can try from my end?

I prefer Squeeze Control, but the ability to stay in background and pause what's playing when a call comes in is a key feature for me; this is still working with Orange Squeeze.

Last edited:

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm...that is certainly something to consider. It has been over a month since I updated to KitKat (12/19), but with the holidays and all I wasn't around using my Squeezeboxes as much and may not have noticed anything.

I just looked at my advanced WiFi settings (which I don't think I have since updating to KitKat). I see that "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" is set to Always (as I always have done). I also see that "Wi-Fi optimization (minimize battery usage when Wi-Fi is on)" is checked. I don't recall doing that...and it would seem to be the prime suspect. I have unchecked that setting, and at least in my (brief) testing, it seems to have resolved the problem (I'll post back if it turns out not to be the case).

Thanks!

UPDATE: Unfortunately, I was too early with my optimistic report. It's now done the disappearing act a couple of times, even after rebooting to make sure the WiFi setting change "took." Any other ideas about things I can try from my end?

I prefer Squeeze Control, but the ability to stay in background and pause what's playing when a call comes in is a key feature for me; this is still working with Orange Squeeze.
I looked through my internal change log for Squeeze Control and there are no changes since 1.3.0 that would affect the connection stability.

If the app is in the foreground, but idle, would it disconnect after a few minutes?

Can you try putting the app into the background, then leaving the notification panel and keep an eye on the Squeeze Control item. Before it disappears, does it say "Reconnecting" first?

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Wayne,

I looked through my internal change log for Squeeze Control and there are no changes since 1.3.0 that would affect the connection stability.

Yes, definitely weird. As discussed above, the timing in relation to the KitKat upgrade makes me question whether it was an inadvertent side effect of the app update or something related to the OS upgrade at the root of things. Looking back, though, I do believe that I used versions prior to 1.3.3 with KitKat and didn't experience the problem. Squeeze Control has always been rock solid, so it would have been noticed.

I If the app is in the foreground, but idle, would it disconnect after a few minutes?

I didn't think so -- and it seems to perhaps take longer to disappear that way -- but yes, it does happen with the app in foreground and screen off.

Can you try putting the app into the background, then leaving the notification panel and keep an eye on the Squeeze Control item. Before it disappears, does it say "Reconnecting" first?

I can't do that -- the app won't disappear if the screen is on. It only happens when the screen is off (whether turned off manually or by the system timeout) and running on battery.

Last edited:

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Wayne,

Yes, definitely weird. As discussed above, the timing in relation to the KitKat upgrade makes me question whether it was an inadvertent side effect of the app update or something related to the OS upgrade at the root of things. Looking back, though, I do believe that I used versions prior to 1.3.3 with KitKat and didn't experience the problem. Squeeze Control has always been rock solid, so it would have been noticed.

I didn't think so -- and it seems to perhaps take longer to disappear that way -- but yes, it does happen with the app in foreground and screen off.

I can't do that -- the app won't disappear if the screen is on. It only happens when the screen is off (whether turned off manually or by the system timeout) and running on battery.

So it basically only happens when the screen turns off? I have a Nexus 5 (kitkat) and I don't see this behavior. Android definitely lowers it's power use whenever the screen goes off, but I wonder if the Android build for the Droid Maxx is more aggressive with the power saving than the Nexus 5's.

BTW, in Squeeze Control > Preferences > User Interface there's an option to Use Media Buttons. Try enabling it if you haven't and enable lock screen controls too. Maybe if Squeeze Control registers itself as a media controller, the system will give it a bit more resources.

Also, did you change any setting in your phone's Developer Options?

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
So it basically only happens when the screen turns off? I have a Nexus 5 (kitkat) and I don't see this behavior. Android definitely lowers it's power use whenever the screen goes off, but I wonder if the Android build for the Droid Maxx is more aggressive with the power saving than the Nexus 5's.

Could be -- battery life is a key selling point for the Maxx (and it is excellent). I don't have any power saving settings turned on. Yes, it only happens with the screen off as far as I can tell.

BTW, in Squeeze Control > Preferences > User Interface there's an option to Use Media Buttons. Try enabling it if you haven't and enable lock screen controls too. Maybe if Squeeze Control registers itself as a media controller, the system will give it a bit more resources.

OK, I've done that (neither were previously checked). I'll update when I see what impact this has. UPDATE: unfortunately this didn't fix. I should also have mentioned that I've gone so far as to uninstall and reinstall the from scratch (a settings save/restore function might be a nice feature to add in a future update :))

Also, did you change any setting in your phone's Developer Options?

Just the option to stay awake when charging.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira