Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Works well on one player, but I have a Simple question: how do I change players?

Tap the player name on the footer, this will open a menu which will let you switch players and control other aspects of the current player.

Or... for a shortcut, just tap and hold the player name to popup a player list.

nguyer

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi there! I just bought this app and it's pretty nice. One thing I would really like though is the ability to change the MAC address that the app reports to my LMS. Is there a way to manually set that somewhere?

Thanks!

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! I just bought this app and it's pretty nice. One thing I would really like though is the ability to change the MAC address that the app reports to my LMS. Is there a way to manually set that somewhere?

Thanks!

Sorry no, the MAC address is randomly generated on first install to give it the best chance of being unique. However, I can see how it can be handy in some cases. I'll add the ability in a future update.

nguyer

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry no, the MAC address is randomly generated on first install to give it the best chance of being unique. However, I can see how it can be handy in some cases. I'll add the ability in a future update.

Thank you! That would be awesome! Actually it would be most useful in SB Player but I currently have SB Player set to get its MAC from Squeeze Control, so setting it either place would be fine.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it is random chance, gremlins, or (more likely) something you addressed in the update, but after using 1.3.5 for a few days it appears that the problem I was having with 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 (app disappearing when on battery and screen off) has been fixed. So I'm back to using Squeeze Control.

I have one minor UI request: would it be possible to vertically extend the "Now Playing" dropdown that shows current track info? As it stands now I typically have to scroll to see all the lines of content, even when they would fit on one screen if this dialog/display component were enlarged to fit the screen.

Thanks again.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it is random chance, gremlins, or (more likely) something you addressed in the update, but after using 1.3.5 for a few days it appears that the problem I was having with 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 (app disappearing when on battery and screen off) has been fixed. So I'm back to using Squeeze Control.

I have one minor UI request: would it be possible to vertically extend the "Now Playing" dropdown that shows current track info? As it stands now I typically have to scroll to see all the lines of content, even when they would fit on one screen if this dialog/display component were enlarged to fit the screen.

Thanks again.
The drop down was sized to fit landscape orientation (I was too lazy to make it detect available space). I'll look into auto sizing it based on available space.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

I have SB Player and Squeeze Control on an Acer Liquid Z3 running Android 4.2.2 and some mp3 podcast files which I download or stream from the internet play too fast. If I play them in another software player they are fine.

Examples of these mp3s here NPR: Car Talk Podcast - CastRoller or here Europe1.fr - On va s'g?ner

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers, Nicholas.
How are you streaming those podcasts to SB Player from the internet?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

I have SB Player and Squeeze Control on an Acer Liquid Z3 running Android 4.2.2 and some mp3 podcast files which I download or stream from the internet play too fast. If I play them in another software player they are fine.

Examples of these mp3s here NPR: Car Talk Podcast - CastRoller or here Europe1.fr - On va s'g?ner

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers, Nicholas.

I just downloaded an mp3 from each of the sites you mentioned. I put them on my server and played them through SB Player and they played at the correct speed. I'm not sure what caused the problem you're experiencing.

niconum

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I've tried downloading them to the SD card in the phone and also streamed them directly using the Search function from the Squeeze Control main menu (while connected to mysqueezebox.com...if that makes any difference). (I did a search for "Car Talk" and then chose "recent episodes" in the search results)

I haven't tried running them from my local LMS server. I'll try that and let you know if it makes any difference.

I played around with settings like the Output Sampling Rate and Codec Control but couldn't solve it. I'll copy paste what I see in the debug screen while playing them. Maybe that will give us a clue?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've tried downloading them to the SD card in the phone and also streamed them directly using the Search function from the Squeeze Control main menu (while connected to mysqueezebox.com...if that makes any difference). (I did a search for "Car Talk" and then chose "recent episodes" in the search results)

I haven't tried running them from my local LMS server. I'll try that and let you know if it makes any difference.

I played around with settings like the Output Sampling Rate and Codec Control but couldn't solve it. I'll copy paste what I see in the debug screen while playing them. Maybe that will give us a clue?

I connected to mysb searched for Car Talk, selected recent episodes, and played the latest one and it played at normal speed (the banjo tune in beginning sounded fast, but it wasn't it just had a fast tempo). Do you have another android device you could try?

niconum

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Still the same problem when listening to the mp3s from my local LMS.

Sounds like it might be related to the specific hardware and/or Android revision I'm using then. What's weird is that it only seems to be some mp3s (64kbps cbr?) and not others.

Yes I can try another Android device on Saturday and I'll let you know. Thanks.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Still the same problem when listening to the mp3s from my local LMS.

Sounds like it might be related to the specific hardware and/or Android revision I'm using then. What's weird is that it only seems to be some mp3s (64kbps cbr?) and not others.

Yes I can try another Android device on Saturday and I'll let you know. Thanks.

It definitely sounds like a specific hardware/Android revision problem. Still, it's a little hard to believe that any hardware/software would have problems with a 44.1kHz 16bit 64kbps CBR mp3. That's about as plain as it comes.

I've been testing on a Nexus 7 (2013).

BTW when the podcast is playing, on the top section of the debug screen, does it say mp3 16/44.1 for the format?

niconum

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Ah shoot...well a Nexus 7 2013 is precisley what I was planning to test with this weekend.

Yes, it says Format: mp3 16/44.1 in the Server Messages section.

I may have to try an alternative rooted O/S. The frustrating thing is the downloaded mp3 will play fine on the device in, say, Google Play Music (the app with the headphones as a logo).

Cheers.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Ah shoot...well a Nexus 7 2013 is precisley what I was planning to test with this weekend.

Yes, it says Format: mp3 16/44.1 in the Server Messages section.

I may have to try an alternative rooted O/S. The frustrating thing is the downloaded mp3 will play fine on the device in, say, Google Play Music (the app with the headphones as a logo).

Cheers.

That is really strange. On the debug screen, whenever you start a track, you will see two lines in the Server Messages section that starts with "strm-s". Can you tell me what exactly what those two lines are for the affected podcasts? Those two lines indicate the setup info for the stream that the player is receiving from the server. It's unlikely that the server is sending incorrect info, but I just want to make sure.

The Music player app likely uses a different part of the API than SB Player. The Music player is most likely using an older part of the API where the app just hands off the music file/stream to the system and the system plays it, while SB Player uses a newer API that was added to android 4.1, which allows the app to just use the system to decode the music data without playing it. It's possible that the version of android you are using may not have implemented this newer API correctly.

A possible workaround to this problem maybe to turn off mp3 support in advanced settings. If you are connected to a local LMS, this will force LMS to transcode the stream to a different format before sending it to the player. After you change the setting, make sure you disconnect and reconnect for the setting to take effect. I don't think this will work for MySqueezebox though.

niconum

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.

Thanks for your digging.

While streaming the latest mp3 from the Car Talk web site (with "Use MP3" set to ON), the Server Messages section says

strm -q
strm -q
setd: name query
std: 4
aude
audg: volume 50,50)
strm -q
audg: volume (50,50)
strm-s: frmt:m endn:1 as:3 trns:0 dur:10
flgs:?
strm-s:in Thres:20 outThres:1 rGain:1.00
audg: volume(50,50)

Switching "Use MP3" to OFF and streaming a downloaded Car Talk mp3 from my LMS still exhibits the problem of the audio playing too fast and sounding lke a chipmunk.

Interestingly, though, I did a test of Squeeze Control using Squeeze Player and that works ok so there does seem to be a problem with SB Player, the newer sound API and some types of mp3s on my platform.

I would love to fix the problem because, as you know, SB Player allows me to connect directly to mysqueezebox.com (unlike Squeeze Player which will only connect via my home LMS).

Cheers.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Switching "Use MP3" to OFF and streaming a downloaded Car Talk mp3 from my LMS still exhibits the problem of the audio playing too fast and sounding lke a chipmunk.

You probably didn't disconnect after you switched off "Use MP3". It doesn't matter anyway, since I realized that LMS cannot transcode mp3 to anything else.