Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

Dave Woods

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
More of an SB Player question, but how does it handle USB DACs attached as an audio device? Does it still dither? Will it even output to the non-default device?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
More of an SB Player question, but how does it handle USB DACs attached as an audio device? Does it still dither? Will it even output to the non-default device?
Yes it will still have to convert to 16 bit because it uses the system's audio subsystem and Android does not yet support 24bit audio. No it will not output to the non default audio device.

siffland

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I am using the newest version of Squeeze Control and am no longer able to drill down in the menu beyond the artist (to see albums and individual songs). This was not an issue in older versions (i do not know what version this started happening in). I just installed Orange Squeeze to verify it is not my Squeezeboxserver (with is version 7.5.4 running on FreeBSD and the web interface/orange squeeze and squeezebox commander all work fine). But i like you product the best and they is why i purchased (i just refunded orange squeeze, it works fine but i like squeeze controls interface better) it so any assistance would be great.

So i tap on my music and can see artists but when i tap on the artist, it does nothing. These are the errors that show up in my server logs:

Code:
[14-07-12 10:30:59.3219] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [10:30:59.3215] Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 569.
[14-07-12 10:30:59.3231] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [10:30:59.3228] Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 641.
[14-07-12 10:30:59.3237] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [10:30:59.3234] Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 667.

Thanks,

sean

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I am using the newest version of Squeeze Control and am no longer able to drill down in the menu beyond the artist (to see albums and individual songs). This was not an issue in older versions (i do not know what version this started happening in). I just installed Orange Squeeze to verify it is not my Squeezeboxserver (with is version 7.5.4 running on FreeBSD and the web interface/orange squeeze and squeezebox commander all work fine). But i like you product the best and they is why i purchased (i just refunded orange squeeze, it works fine but i like squeeze controls interface better) it so any assistance would be great.

So i tap on my music and can see artists but when i tap on the artist, it does nothing. These are the errors that show up in my server logs:

Code:
[14-07-12 10:30:59.3219] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [10:30:59.3215] Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 569.
[14-07-12 10:30:59.3231] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [10:30:59.3228] Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 641.
[14-07-12 10:30:59.3237] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [10:30:59.3234] Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/squeezeboxserver/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 667.

Thanks,

sean
The minimum LMS requirement of Squeeze Control have always been version 7.7. While it may have worked with older versions of LMS I have never tested it on those versions and thus cannot guarantee that it would work.

A user recently reported the same problem while using the current version of LMS and fixing that problem may have caused the problem to appear on older versions of LMS. I'll take a look at the relevant code when I have a chance, but since I don't plan on re-testing Squeeze Control with older versions of LMS it's unlikely that the problem you're experiencing will be fixed.

My recommendation is to upgrade to a newer version of LMS.

Update: Since 1.3.7 Squeeze Control uses a command option that was added to LMS in 7.6, so you will need to be using at least 7.6 for Squeeze Control to work correctly. The user that had the same problem fixed it by upgrading to 7.6.

Last edited:

nickhudson2000

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi.
I have been using your app for a while now and really like it but I have just tried setting up the Wake On Lan feature and cannot get it to work. In the server settings menu I have set the MAC address of my PC and checked the WOL box but it won't wake the PC. The PC is set up for remote WOL and my original Duet controller wakes it ok when i try it from there. I have also installed a dedicated WOL app onto my nexus 7 which also works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong or do i need to set anything else?
Nick

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi.
I have been using your app for a while now and really like it but I have just tried setting up the Wake On Lan feature and cannot get it to work. In the server settings menu I have set the MAC address of my PC and checked the WOL box but it won't wake the PC. The PC is set up for remote WOL and my original Duet controller wakes it ok when i try it from there. I have also installed a dedicated WOL app onto my nexus 7 which also works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong or do i need to set anything else?
Nick
On the newer versions of Squeeze Control you shouldn't even need manually create a server definition to use WOL in most cases. The app will automatically find the Mac address of any discovered server and send a WOL signal before trying to connect.

If you do want to manually define a server, then make sure that the Mac address is correct and that you have chosen that server definition as the one to use. Also after waking up, it may take a bit of time for the server to become responsive and first connect attempt from Squeeze Control may not work.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Would it be possible to add a settings backup/restore feature to Squeeze Control? I've had to do quite a few device resets/swaps lately and manually setting up the app each time would have been easier with such a function -- there are a lot of options in the app these days (which is a good thing!),

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Would it be possible to add a settings backup/restore feature to Squeeze Control? I've had to do quite a few device resets/swaps lately and manually setting up the app each time would have been easier with such a function -- there are a lot of options in the app these days (which is a good thing!),
I think I disabled the Android's auto backup feature for Squeeze Control. I can probably just re-enable it.

Fritz Brause

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!
I think this is by a good margin the best Squeezebox control app.
Yet I have a feature request:
Vertical swipe = volume control
Would it be possible to add that feature to the Now Playing screen?
btw: if I move the volume slider (too) fast the interface responds, but the volume stays the same.
Fritz

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yet I have a feature request:
Vertical swipe = volume control
Would it be possible to add that feature to the Now Playing screen?
I'll add this option to the next update, but only in phone mode. The Now Playing screen for tablet mode is a little complex and it might be confusing.
You'll have to enable it in Preferences > User Interface
btw: if I move the volume slider (too) fast the interface responds, but the volume stays the same.
Every volume change request sends a command over the network, so to cut down the number of network requests, the volume slider (and the position slider) has a rate limiter that only sends a request every third of a second. Also, the server has to respond to these requests and if you move it too fast the server may not be able to keep up.

Fritz Brause

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the volume control works great, for me a very convenient feature. That was incredibly fast ;-).
Stupid question: I wanted to try out the tablet mode, but on phones (I have a lg g2) there is no option for the in-app purchase?
Fritz

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the volume control works great, for me a very convenient feature. That was incredibly fast ;-).
Stupid question: I wanted to try out the tablet mode, but on phones (I have a lg g2) there is no option for the in-app purchase?
Fritz
Yes the in-app purchase option for Tablet Mode is only available when you're using a tablet. There is no reason to offer the option on phones since the tablet mode layout will not work correctly on phones.

gklainer

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to show the number of the track in the playlist view? if not, that would be a nice enhancement to an already excellent app. Thanks.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to show the number of the track in the playlist view? if not, that would be a nice enhancement to an already excellent app. Thanks.
No there isn't.

Edit: The Now Playing screen already shows the total tracks in the title and I don't feel that it's necessary to also have it in the playlist view.

Last edited:

Fritz Brause

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Battery use of the SB Player is very high. After listening for 1hour I have battery usage: 42%SBPlayer, 16%Display, 13%Android OS, 6%Android System. Is this normal? (lg g2 kitkat 4.4.2)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Battery use of the SB Player is very high. After listening for 1hour I have battery usage: 42%SBPlayer, 16%Display, 13%Android OS, 6%Android System. Is this normal? (lg g2 kitkat 4.4.2)
Yes it's normal. Streaming audio apps all tend to have high battery usage since they're using both the network and the cpu as long as audio is playing. It will be especially bad if the audio requires resampling by SB Player since that's a cpu intensive process.

Mp3, aac, and ogg files will likely be easier on the battery since SB Player uses the system's decoder (most likely written with more efficient native code and may have hardware help), but the other formats are decoded internally by SB Player. The difference though is probably negligible with today's cpu and I'd expect the battery usage from network use will mask any observable difference.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The latest update added the backup option. However, since I don't buy my own apps I doubt that it would work on my devices. If anyone ever has the opportunity to try it, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Fritz Brause

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried the WIMP app and it has a lot less battery drain (>50% less).
Fiddling around with PowerTutor2 it became clear that it is mainly due to the fact, that Wifi is used to download a whole song and then paused (relying on the built in android media server also seems to be battery friendly). I guess with the squeezebox protocol that is not possible? (because of the synchronization feature?)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante