Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Deezer Plugin

Have now changed over to Squeeze CTRL from Squeeze Control. All good! Something interesting that is happening on the Samsung Galaxy S5 when I have controls enabled on the lock screen is that a mini player is visible and functional on the window of the smart cover that I use with the phone. Quite useful. But it has a glitch... whilst it displays the correct song title it keeps on showing the artist incorrectly. In fact, the same artist for every track so far in the last half an hour. Not a big problem at all, just interesting to note.

Cheers, David

When Squeeze Ctrl is running it broadcasts the current song a few different ways to lockscreens, smart watches, bluetooth controls, etc. I'll need to see if one of those methods has a glitch that is preventing the artist from changing. It could also be a glitch specific to Samsung. What Android version is the phone running?

DavidBulluss

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Wayne,
Android 5.0

This morning it is working correctly. I have not restarted the phone since the glitch showed up, or the server, or LMS, but the Squeeze Box touch units have been turned off overnight. Now that it is working correctly I note that it is actually the album name that was not changing. It was a self named album that it was stuck on yesterday, hence I thought it was artist name being reported.
Interesting thing is that the album name it was reporting for all songs has not been played for a very long time. Random error. Will let you know if it happens again.

Cheers, David

Shozzer

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site

Hi Wayne

I have a little problem which I cannot seem to resolve by fiddling with the settings. On a couple of devices (2 Radios) I have switched the Music Source to MySqueezebox.com which has worked fine. However, when I want to switch them back to the local server there is no Music Source option so they are stuck in MySqueezebox.com! The only way that I have been able to switch them (I am currently away from home) is to log on to the web app on the server to transfer there. How can this be resolved within the app?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Hi Wayne

I have a little problem which I cannot seem to resolve by fiddling with the settings. On a couple of devices (2 Radios) I have switched the Music Source to MySqueezebox.com which has worked fine. However, when I want to switch them back to the local server there is no Music Source option so they are stuck in MySqueezebox.com! The only way that I have been able to switch them (I am currently away from home) is to log on to the web app on the server to transfer there. How can this be resolved within the app?

You need to be connected to both your local server and mysqueezebox.com for the Music Source option to show up.

dipsqueezectrl

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi Wayne,
In the now playing window the album title is horizontally scrolling when it is too long to be displayed. In contrast the track title is not scrolled but it is wrapped into two lines. Unfortunately the second part of the wrapped line is overlapped by the next line showing the album title. Could you please also horizontally scroll the track title. I wanted to upload a Screenshot but couldn't figure out how. Thanks a lot.
Dieter

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wayne,
In the now playing window the album title is horizontally scrolling when it is too long to be displayed. In contrast the track title is not scrolled but it is wrapped into two lines. Unfortunately the second part of the wrapped line is overlapped by the next line showing the album title. Could you please also horizontally scroll the track title. I wanted to upload a Screenshot but couldn't figure out how. Thanks a lot.
Dieter
I prefer the wrapped title, but it is not supposed to overlapped the album. There should be enough space for at least 2 lines of text. What device are you using?

dipsqueezectrl

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
You can see less than the half of the wrapped line. I have Squeezectrl also installed on my Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Here I have the same problem. Only the upper half of the wrapped line is readable. On this phone I have also set the system font size to large.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You can see less than the half of the wrapped line. I have Squeezectrl also installed on my Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Here I have the same problem. Only the upper half of the wrapped line is readable. On this phone I have also set the system font size to large.
Ok, I'll have to check and see what I can do about it.

dipsqueezectrl

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I just check back. On my Tab you see only about 20% of the second line (only the very top of the letters). On the phone you see about the upper half of the letters.
Thanks for checking. And I would also prefer two lines over horizontally scrolling.

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,
I bought both the Squeeze Ctrl and the SB player app.
Squeeze Ctrl is working very well, thank you for this app.
I have a Synology NAS running LMS 7.9.
I have several questions/issues:
a. Am I correct with the following assumptions? The SB player app integrated itself into Squeeze Ctrl, its task is merely to offer the choice for the local Android device to function as music output. There is no further interface for SB player as such.
b. Is there any possibility to automatically copy the settings and the currently playing list etc. from other output devices to the local android device? (in my case a Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 Pro) I have zero interest in having different playlists etc. because I listen only to one device.
c. the real issue: each time I start to play a playlist locally on my tablet it stops after one song and can't be restarted. Either nothing happens at all or I get a report that SB player has stopped working. This does not happen with DS Audio.
Thank you for any help!

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
a. Am I correct with the following assumptions? The SB player app integrated itself into Squeeze Ctrl, its task is merely to offer the choice for the local Android device to function as music output. There is no further interface for SB player as such.
You are correct that there is no playback interface for SB Player. It is however a little more than just a way to output music on the local device. The app functions as a full fleged Squeezebox player with almost all the functions including synchronization, replaygain, and crossfading. Also it's not really "intergrated" with Squeeze Ctrl, it is a standalone app that can function without Squeeze Ctrl (you can control it from any Squeezebox remote). Squeeze Ctrl merely has options designed to better work with it.

b. Is there any possibility to automatically copy the settings and the currently playing list etc. from other output devices to the local android device? (in my case a Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 Pro) I have zero interest in having different playlists etc. because I listen only to one device.
There are plugins on the server that can do that. I use one called Switch Player.

c. the real issue: each time I start to play a playlist locally on my tablet it stops after one song and can't be restarted. Either nothing happens at all or I get a report that SB player has stopped working. This does not happen with DS Audio.
Thank you for any help!

You can't really compare DS Audio with SB Player, since DS Audio is not a Squeezebox player. Are you trying to play music from your own local library or are you playing and internet stream? What format is music? Next time if the app crashes, and you have an option to submit a crash report, please do so. It will help me diagnose any problems.

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for getting back. I have not forgotten you but I have changed devices and am now operating a Moto G.
SqueezeCTRL works well and so does SBplayer which, however, has been sidelined as I do not use my phone often to play music when I'm at home.
I have seen a possibility to download songs to the device in SBplayer through a download manager. Great!
One question though: If I download a playlist, will the playlist be visible as a playlist in other music players? I can see the files only. How do I go about it when I don't have access to my WLan? Can the downloaded music still be played through SBplayer?
Can I find an overview over downloaded music somewhere (ie an entry into the start menu or an overlay icon)?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for getting back. I have not forgotten you but I have changed devices and am now operating a Moto G.
SqueezeCTRL works well and so does SBplayer which, however, has been sidelined as I do not use my phone often to play music when I'm at home.
I have seen a possibility to download songs to the device in SBplayer through a download manager. Great!
One question though: If I download a playlist, will the playlist be visible as a playlist in other music players? I can see the files only. How do I go about it when I don't have access to my WLan? Can the downloaded music still be played through SBplayer?
Can I find an overview over downloaded music somewhere (ie an entry into the start menu or an overlay icon)?
SB Player cannot download songs, it can only play music streamed through the network. Squeeze Ctrl is the one that can download songs. It does not download the playlist file, it just queues the songs in the playlist for download in the Download Manager. When you start downloading, there is an option to create a playlist containing the downloaded songs.on the device. The playlist is created in Android's media library so basically any player should be able to read it. I know Google Play Music sees it.

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
SB Player cannot download songs, it can only play music streamed through the network. Squeeze Ctrl is the one that can download songs. It does not download the playlist file, it just queues the songs in the playlist for download in the Download Manager. When you start downloading, there is an option to create a playlist containing the downloaded songs.on the device. The playlist is created in Android's media library so basically any player should be able to read it. I know Google Play Music sees it.
Thank you for your reply. The playlist on my device is empty (Moto G XT 1039 Android 6 CM 13 Stock Music Player). I will have to try with another player.
While this seems great at first glance, I find it sad that you cannot organise this playlist in the correct order. It does not seem to create a playlist according to the completion of the download etc. which would be excellent - at least that is what it looks like under "recently added". I could not specify the order in which it downloads.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. The playlist on my device is empty (Moto G XT 1039 Android 6 CM 13 Stock Music Player). I will have to try with another player.
While this seems great at first glance, I find it sad that you cannot organise this playlist in the correct order. It does not seem to create a playlist according to the completion of the download etc. which would be excellent - at least that is what it looks like under "recently added". I could not specify the order in which it downloads.
You need to enable the option to create a playlist: Preferences > Song Download > Create Playlist

When you add a playlist to the download queue, it will add the songs in the same order as they are in the playlist. The songs will download in that order unless you manually download individual songs first. The playlist created device will have the songs added to it in the same order as they are download.

JamesSauter

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Squeeze Control for about 2 years now. Bought for both my Note3 and the tablet app for my Note 12.2

Thank god someone made an app for Android that's at least as good, if not better than iPeng was for iOs.

I dumped my iphone a few years ago, and switched to Samsung. Never going back!!!

Like I said, I bought both apps about 2 years ago, and I'm glad to pay again for them now. No need whatsoever for any refunds for me. I know how much work has to go into keeping something like this up and running, not to mention upgrades and keeping up with Android updates.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK. I PERSONALLY GREATLY APPRECIATE IT

As we all know the Squeezebox hardware is "End Of Life" and has become the ugly stepchild of Logitech. It's unfortunate that Slim Devices was so far ahead of the curve with streaming audio. I think it was just too early... Logitech bought them and it was still too early. It took too long for the consumers to seriously start adopting the system. Logitech gave up and was moving towards bluetooth as the next big cash cow.
Bluetooth sucks... and now everyone is starting to fall in line with streaming after Logitech has moved on. It's a real shame to see Slim Devices die off, as they were one of the driving forces in the audio streaming world.
R.I.P. Slim Devices

However, Logitech can kiss my *** for bailing on all of its customers!!!

After investing pretty heavily in Squeezebox products, I want to keep them alive and running. Well, my units at least.
My current list of devices is:
1 Transporter2
1 Boom
3 Classics
3 Radios
5 Duets

As you can see, I don't plan on switching to Sonos any time soon.

I did however buy a Chromecast Audio today to play with. I figure for $35 who cares if it sucks.

Got it set up and playing in less than 1 minute. A decent little player so far.

Now for my questions...

In both Squeeze Control and Squeeze ctrl, you have a mirror icon that does see the Chromecast unit... connects... and let's you adjust the volume. However the Chromecast is not actually playing, or mirroring the audio. The Squeezebox I am connected to is working perfectly, but the Chromecast unit is not playing. I have tried both local server files as well as Pandora local and via mysqueezebox.com

Please explain what I'm doing wrong.

Also, if possible, can you get your software to INCLUDE Chromecast devices into the player list?

I understand your program is specifically for Squeezebox devices. However with them dieing off, and the Chromecast being a very inexpensive replacement, it could be in your best interest as well.

If so, this would be awesome, as ppl would be able to use their entire local music collections with both devices.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong with the mirroring, and if adding Chromecast as a player is possible at some point.

Thanks again for a great app !!!!!

James Sauter

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

JamesSauter

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Looks like I just found a decent solution.
CASTBRIDGE

It was pretty easy to install the plugin right inside the Logitech Media Server (settings) add-ons.
Took me a few minutes, as I have never used the add-on tab before, and didn't want to mess anything up.

The only downfall I see is... Since the LMS program, does not recognize the Chromecast unit as an actual Squeezebox unit, it will not let me use Squeeze Control or CTRL to stream Pandora to the Chromecast at all. It gives me an error saying that I need to have a paid Pandora account to use this feature. Of course I do have a paid account, but since Logitech does not have the Chromecast unit in my list of registered Squeezebox devices, It's not letting me stream to it.

So, still no all-in-one solution yet....

If anyone is interested, CastBridge is as simple as turning on a checkbox inside LMS

forums.slimdevices.c o m/showthread.php?104614-Announce-CastBridge-integrate-Chromecast-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2cast)&highlight=castbridge

Squeeze2Cast – Chromecast bridge - User Guide

1 Introduction
1.1 What Is It?
This program (squeeze2cast - sq2c for short) allows Chromecast renderers to be used and controlled from LMS as regular squeezebox devices. It acts as a proxy between LMS and Chromecast renderers. It scans the local network for renderers and creates an instance of an LMS software player for each renderer found.

It can run on any computer running Windows or Linux. OSX and ARM versions may also be available. For speed reasons, it is better to be co-located with LMS, but this is not essential.

1.2 How it Works
Sq2c receives commands and audio streams from LMS. All commands sent by LMS are transformed into Chromecast commands. Timing (position) information is taken every second from the Chromecast renderer so the LMS cursor might go back and forth a bit as LMS first tries to guess the position and then “match” it with what it receives.

Audio streams are buffered and forwarded to the Chromecast renderer, without changing the audio coding format except for pcm where a bit of sample re-arranging can be done. For buffering it creates two local files, which can be as large as the original files sent by LMS (there are ways of limiting the size of these files if required).

Gapless, Smart Transition (fading in and out) and multi-player synchronisation are not available. ReplayGain partially work if pcm audio is sent by LMS (see note below)

README on volume management: Chromecast devices have the notion of “media session” which is a unique session established per each track playback. The Chromecast volume can be controlled either globally, or per “media session”. These are independent volume levels and the actual volume is the combination of the two. The solution used by sq2c is to use the global volume so that a change of volume made from another controller (eg. The Android or iOS apps) can be reflected in LMS. In case the volume is too loud across the LMS range, it is possible to scale it through the “media session” volume using the parameter <media_volume>

README on firewall: The application squeeze2cast-xxx (where xxx depends on the platform) must be allowed to go through the firewall of the machine it runs onto. It opens a port (usually 49152, but that can be configured with <upnp_socket> option. In Windows, set an entry for squeeze2cast-win in the control panel. On other machine, have a look at your firewall settings.

2 Chromecast bridge Plugin
The simplest way to use sq2c is to install the “Chromecast bridge” plugin on the system running LMS. If this is not practical and you need to install it on another computer, see Section 3 below.

2.1 First Steps
i. Go to the Settings, Plugins page on the LMS GUI.

ii. Go to 'Additional Repositories' near the bottom. If this is not available, there should be an option to enable third party plugins. Tick this, and press 'Apply' at bottom right.

iii. Add the following line to the list of additional repositories:

sourceforge.n e t/projects/lms-plugins-philippe44/files/repo-sf.xml

Restart LMS.

iv. You should now find that there is a section called “Philippe's squeezecenter plugins” listing the Chromecast plugin Tick this to make it available on the next LMS restart, and restart LMS.

v. Go to the Settings, Advanced page on the LMS GUI and select the Chromecast bridge entry.

vi. Turn on all your Chromecast devices.

Tick the ’Start the Bridge’ tickbox, choose the executable for your platform if more than one is available and tick ‘Apply’ at the right-bottom of the page. As the ‘autosave’ option is ticked by default, a configuration will be generated automatically after ~30s, just wait and refresh the page to see it. You can optionally force configuration file generation by ticking ‘Generate’.

From that point, you might be lucky and have sq2c and your players working with all built-in defaults, but it is highly recommended to follow the steps below once you have a configuration file created.

vii. Make sure the ‘Start the Bridge’ tickbox is unticked

viii. Edit the parameters if you need to (you can, for example, change the name of the player).

ix. Save these values and restart the plugin by ticking the 'Start the Bridge' tickbox and press 'Apply'.

x. The parameters on the plugin settings screen include most of those in the configuration file. See Section 5 for details of each configuration file parameter. You can edit the configuration file manually if you really need to.

xi. If you get stuck, read Section 4 which may help you to choose different options.

When ‘autosave’ is ticked, the configuration will be saved with an updated list of players at each network scan (see scanning option to change period). It is also possible to manually update your configuration file at any time by ticking ‘Generate’ (whether ‘Start the Bridge’ is ticked or not).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463