Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

dipsqueezectrl

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I have now only suspended the server rather than shutting it down. That means that waking it up with WOL takes only 4 seconds instead of 20. But even then Squeeze Ctrl does not connect. It seems that it only connects if the server is already running when Squeeze Ctrl starts. Is this intended behavior or a bug?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok I just ran a test. I initiated a connection in the app while LMS is stopped, then I started LMS and the app connected once LMS was fully running. So it is not a bug in the app. My guess is that when your hardware wakes up from sleeping it resets it's network connections which is what causes the app to stop the connection process.

dipsqueezectrl

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for testing, but this is not exactly the problematic scenario. When I simply stop LMS and Squeeze Ctrl and then start Squeeze Ctrl and finally start LMS it also connects in my system. The problem happens if
1. the computer running LMS was completely shutdown and is woken up by Squeeze Ctrol sending a WOL request AND
2. Squeeze Ctrl was not running before or was really terminated. That means the device running Squeeze Ctrl should be restarted for testing when the server runinng LMS is shutdown.

This is the typical scenario for me in the morning since both, the computer running LMS and the table running Squeeze Ctrl (and SB Player) are both turned off during night.

In this scenario when starting Squeeze Ctrl it sends the WOL request and the computer running LMS as well as LMS are started but Squeeze Ctrl never connects. Only when I click on "connect" the connection is established at once.

I have now written a script (using Automagic) which, when started, checks if LMS is running (by sending a HTTP request) and if it is running it simply starts Squeeze Ctrl. If LMS is not running the script sends a WOL request, waits until LMS is running and then starts Squeeze Ctrl. In this way the connection is always successfully established.

So to me it still looks like Squeeze Ctrl simply does not try to connect to LMS after having sent a WOL request. Either it does not try at all or at least not long enoght in this senario. Can you also test the above scenario to look if there is a problem in connection with a connection after a WOL request? Thereby, the above second condition seems to be important. I have the impression that the server timeout set in Squeeze Ctrl is only used when Squeez Ctrl tries to REconnect to a previously connected server to which connection was lost. However, if Sqzeeze Ctrl tries to connect the first time after a restart of the device running Squeeze Ctrl it seems that it tries to connect only very shortly (although I have set the server timeout to 30 seconds). And if it cannot connect immediately (which is the case if the server is still booting after a WOL request) it gives up.

If you have WOL not configured you could at least test to completely shutdown the computer running LMS and the device running Squeeze Ctrl, then to start this device, then to start SqueezCtrl and while Squeeze Ctrl tries to connect to start the computer running LMS. In my system Squeeze Ctrl only tries to connect for about 2 seconds and then gives up. This means that the connection is not established since it takes about 20 seconds for the server to boot and to start LMS.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for testing, but this is not exactly the problematic scenario. When I simply stop LMS and Squeeze Ctrl and then start Squeeze Ctrl and finally start LMS it also connects in my system. The problem happens if
1. the computer running LMS was completely shutdown and is woken up by Squeeze Ctrol sending a WOL request AND
2. Squeeze Ctrl was not running before or was really terminated. That means the device running Squeeze Ctrl should be restarted for testing when the server runinng LMS is shutdown.

This is the typical scenario for me in the morning since both, the computer running LMS and the table running Squeeze Ctrl (and SB Player) are both turned off during night.

In this scenario when starting Squeeze Ctrl it sends the WOL request and the computer running LMS as well as LMS are started but Squeeze Ctrl never connects. Only when I click on "connect" the connection is established at once.

I have now written a script (using Automagic) which, when started, checks if LMS is running (by sending a HTTP request) and if it is running it simply starts Squeeze Ctrl. If LMS is not running the script sends a WOL request, waits until LMS is running and then starts Squeeze Ctrl. In this way the connection is always successfully established.

So to me it still looks like Squeeze Ctrl simply does not try to connect to LMS after having sent a WOL request. Either it does not try at all or at least not long enoght in this senario. Can you also test the above scenario to look if there is a problem in connection with a connection after a WOL request? Thereby, the above second condition seems to be important. I have the impression that the server timeout set in Squeeze Ctrl is only used when Squeez Ctrl tries to REconnect to a previously connected server to which connection was lost. However, if Sqzeeze Ctrl tries to connect the first time after a restart of the device running Squeeze Ctrl it seems that it tries to connect only very shortly (although I have set the server timeout to 30 seconds). And if it cannot connect immediately (which is the case if the server is still booting after a WOL request) it gives up.

If you have WOL not configured you could at least test to completely shutdown the computer running LMS and the device running Squeeze Ctrl, then to start this device, then to start SqueezCtrl and while Squeeze Ctrl tries to connect to start the computer running LMS. In my system Squeeze Ctrl only tries to connect for about 2 seconds and then gives up. This means that the connection is not established since it takes about 20 seconds for the server to boot and to start LMS.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

I'm telling you the problem is not on Squeeze Ctrl's side. It waits the standard period of time for an HTTP timeout when it tries to connect no matter if it's connecting for the first time or reconnecting.

What I am saying is that when your server wakes up from sleeping, it resets it's network hardware (which is a reasonable thing to do to make sure the hardware is in the correct state for system startup). I'm talking about an automatic reset by the hardware or OS, not LMS. Resetting would instantly drop any pending incoming connections, hence Squeeze Ctrl dropping the connection almost exactly when the system wakes up.

FYI Squeeze Ctrl sends a WOL packet (as long as the MAC address of the server is known) before every connection attempt even if the server is already running. A WOL packet has no effect if the server is running, so it's simpler to just send it every time instead of trying to detect if a server is running.

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have had the tablet mode running on my zettaly avi but I lost the tablet mode somehow after resetting the device and reinstalling squeeze ctrl. Where in the settings would I select it? I also can't see the option to (re) purchase it. Thank you

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have had the tablet mode running on my zettaly avi but I lost the tablet mode somehow after resetting the device and reinstalling squeeze ctrl. Where in the settings would I select it? I also can't see the option to (re) purchase it. Thank you

Open the app menu (the 3 dots, or a hardware button) and select Change Mode.

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi thank you I used to have a double pane layout where on the left hand side there was the main menu and on the right hand side was a now playing screen. I have not been able to retrieve this layout after reinstalling. It's not under the three dots.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi thank you I used to have a double pane layout where on the left hand side there was the main menu and on the right hand side was a now playing screen. I have not been able to retrieve this layout after reinstalling. It's not under the three dots.
Are you sure? Squeeze Ctrl has never been able to show the layout you described. That's the layout of the official Logitech app.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually yeah I mean the layout I have now is identical to the one on my phone just the lines from the library consuming all the space.
I mean this view.

Do you have a tablet or a phone? The view from the picture is part of tablet mode, which is only available on tablets, unless you fiddle with the screen density of your phone. If you are using a tablet, open the 3 dots menu, scroll to the bottom and select "Change Mode"

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a seven inch tablet with a resolution of 1024x600. The three dots only give another phone view. There is no option to purchase tablet view in the menu nor in the play store. I had the tablet mode before but it had disappeared with the latest update and I don't know how to get it back.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a seven inch tablet with a resolution of 1024x600. The three dots only give another phone view. There is no option to purchase tablet view in the menu nor in the play store. I had the tablet mode before but it had disappeared with the latest update and I don't know how to get it back.

Does the "three dots" menu have a "Change Mode" item?

If it does, what happens when you select that item?

If it doesn't, did you adjusted the screen density of the tablet? Or maybe you had adjusted it prior to the reset?

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi and thank you. Selecting the three dots menu results in an alternative view with a giant display of the Album covers of each track. It does not look like a tablet mode at all.
I have not altered the screen resolution but have reset the tablet and installed all apps anew.
What happens if I delete the app and install from play store again?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi and thank you. Selecting the three dots menu results in an alternative view with a giant display of the Album covers of each track. It does not look like a tablet mode at all.
I have not altered the screen resolution but have reset the tablet and installed all apps anew.
What happens if I delete the app and install from play store again?
That is tablet mode, just a different view than the one you mentioned. When you're in that view, open the player menu and at the bottom, select Full View.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
yep that was it! Thank You!

But why are the layout options located in so many different places?

I don't think two places qualifies as "many". Those two controls are separate, because internally they do very different things. Tablet mode was added to the app months after the app became available. It required a very different layout architecture, so to minimize the chance of breaking the existing app, instead of modifying the existing layout to accommodate tablet mode I added a new layout and provided a method to switch between them.

jeffstake

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi Wayne.
I am having the same problem again. When I click on the triangle to the right of "Server" (within Squeeze Control) I get a list of "New Server" 8 times. It fixed itself last time, but is not doing so this time.
thanks
jeffstake

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane