Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

perstromgren

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I would like to use Squeeze Control on my Nexus 9 tablet, but it does not seem to work at all. I can't do anything when the first screen (with the help text) come up. Not even hit "close"!

Is there anything I can check? My tablet runs 6.0.1.

Per

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I would like to use Squeeze Control on my Nexus 9 tablet, but it does not seem to work at all. I can't do anything when the first screen (with the help text) come up. Not even hit "close"!

Is there anything I can check? My tablet runs 6.0.1.

Per
Go to your tablet's system Settings > Apps and tap to gear on the top left. Select "Draw over other apps" and turn them off for one by one until Squeeze Ctrl works. One of those apps is probably preventing you from hitting the close button.

perstromgren

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but second time installation worked fine anyway! Perhaps I made different choices in the dialog popups, but I don't really care.

The app looks really robust and "real"! It solves a long standing problem controlling my Squeezebox family with my Nexus 9! Kudos!

Per

streifenleopard

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Is there a limit of 500 songs for downloading a playlist? It just occurred to me as Squeeze CTRL asked for confirmation to download 500 songs when I wanted to download a playlist containing 7000 titles...

Last edited:

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Is there a limit to 500 songs for downloading a playlist? It just occurred to me as Squeeze CTRL asked for confirmation to download 500 songs when I wanted to download a playlist containing 7000 titles...
No, there's no limit to how many downloads can be queued. It asks for confirmation whenever you try to add lists of more than 20 items. Downloading a lot of songs can take a lot of bandwidth and can really tax the server.

The queued items are put into a database, so technically the number of items is limited to how much storage space an app is allowed to use (I think there is a limit, but I don't remember what it is). It should be a really large number though.

Serindu

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Am I missing something in trying to get music to download to an SD Card? The dialog box that allows me to specify what folder to store music in when downloading seems to always use a path relative to the existing Music folder.

For example, I determined the SD Card path was something like "/storage/4DCC-653F/Music". When I started downloading music it all went to "/storage/emulated/0/Music/storage/4DCC-653F/Music" which was, obviously, not what I wanted.

Is there a way to get the music to download to the SD Card instead of internal storage?

Thanks.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something in trying to get music to download to an SD Card? The dialog box that allows me to specify what folder to store music in when downloading seems to always use a path relative to the existing Music folder.

For example, I determined the SD Card path was something like "/storage/4DCC-653F/Music". When I started downloading music it all went to "/storage/emulated/0/Music/storage/4DCC-653F/Music" which was, obviously, not what I wanted.

Is there a way to get the music to download to the SD Card instead of internal storage?

Thanks.
You can't download directly to an SD card because the app uses Android's built-in downloading system and that system does not allow downloading to an SD card.

Serindu

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. That's too bad. However, I learned about the "adopted" mode for SD Cards in Marshmallow which resolves the problem for me.

WickyUK

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Wayne, I like the app and use LMS 7.9 (Windows) as a server and Squeeze Ctrl in "Full View" mode on an Android WiFi Tablet as a controller.

I have one simple nagging issue which I would appreciation clarification:
When looking at the "Current Playlist" drop down menu there are 4 options:
Download Playlist
Save Playlist
Clear Playlist
Delete Songs

My query is simple.
I assume the "Delete Songs" option is actually "Remove Songs from Playlist" and not actually delete the song ?

I also noticed that if you choose the square icon to the right of a song in the playlist, there is an option called "Remove from Playlist"

Could you please advise on the above.
If my understanding is correct then I would suggest a simple modification:

Simply rename the menu item on the drop down "Current Playlist" menu from "Delete Songs" to "Remove Songs from Playlist" and on the next page rename "Delete" to "Remove"

Regards
Wicky

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Wayne, I like the app and use LMS 7.9 (Windows) as a server and Squeeze Ctrl in "Full View" mode on an Android WiFi Tablet as a controller.

I have one simple nagging issue which I would appreciation clarification:
When looking at the "Current Playlist" drop down menu there are 4 options:
Download Playlist
Save Playlist
Clear Playlist
Delete Songs

My query is simple.
I assume the "Delete Songs" option is actually "Remove Songs from Playlist" and not actually delete the song ?
You are correct.

I also noticed that if you choose the square icon to the right of a song in the playlist, there is an option called "Remove from Playlist"
The items on that menu come from the server and that option is the "official" way of removing songs from the playlist. The "Delete Songs" item in the drop down just provides a quicker way to delete multiple songs. You can also remove a song by swiping it.

Simply rename the menu item on the drop down "Current Playlist" menu from "Delete Songs" to "Remove Songs from Playlist" and on the next page rename "Delete" to "Remove"
Grammatically, "Delete Songs" is still correct since you are deleting songs from the playlist. Since that item only appears on the menu for the playlist, it is implied that the operations are only performed on the playlist. However, I do see that "Remove" would sound less permanent. "Remove Songs from Playlist" is too long though, it may have problems fitting on phone screens and I don't want the phone and tablet modes to have a different title for that item. I'll probably just change the word "Delete" to "Remove".

VikingOy

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. That's too bad. However, I learned about the "adopted" mode for SD Cards in Marshmallow which resolves the problem for me.

Can you please elaborate on this? Did you or did you not find a way to download to an SD card?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Can you please elaborate on this? Did you or did you not find a way to download to an SD card?
From what I understand about "adopting" an SD card, the card essentially extends the main memory of the device, but you can no longer remove it (physically you can remove it, but it will cause errors)

So the answer to your question is, "sort of". If your need for the music to go into the SD card is only because your device memory is full then adopted mode would work. However, if you want to download the music to the card so that you can use it on other devices too, then adopted mode would not work.

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Any plans to enable control of squeezebox before phone is unlocked? Just simple commands like play,pause, track forward, track backward and volume? Ipeng have just made such a feature, but it is only for iphone. I really like the feature because the phone becomes more of a remote. It is annoying to unlock phone every time control of the squeezebox is needed. Otherwise thanks for a great product!

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Any plans to enable control of squeezebox before phone is unlocked? Just simple commands like play,pause, track forward, track backward and volume? Ipeng have just made such a feature, but it is only for iphone. I really like the feature because the phone becomes more of a remote. It is annoying to unlock phone every time control of the squeezebox is needed. Otherwise thanks for a great product!
That feature has always been available to this app. Just go to Preferences > General and enable Always Connected. It's on by default, but you probably denied the app permission to be exempt from battery optimizations when the app first started which turns off that setting.

VikingOy

May 10, 2014
Visit site
On my Galaxy S7Edge with the S-View cover this does not work. I have enabled "Always Connected" but still Squeeze Ctrl fails to show up on the lock screen....

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
On my Galaxy S7Edge with the S-View cover this does not work. I have enabled "Always Connected" but still Squeeze Ctrl fails to show up on the lock screen....
Check your device's notification settings, you may have blocked Squeeze Ctrl's. Also if Samsung's S-View requires specific support by the app, then it will not work. Squeeze Ctrl will not support proprietary extensions.

Update: Did some googling and as far as I can tell, S-View does need direct support by the app and Samsung hasn't released the API for it.

Last edited:

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've found that sometimes it works - sometimes not. Haven't been able yet to see a pattern in this...
S-view probably can only show 1 or 2 notifications at the same time. If Squeeze Ctrl isn't the at top of the notification list it may not show in S-view. What happens when you show your lockscreen without s-view?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos