Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

SlimPvC

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
And here's another happy user... Chromecast now works fine (only starts when initiated by user).
Thanks for your effort in solving this,

Peter

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I am happy to confirm that after the recent update chromecast problem is gone.
Thanks a lot wayne@angrygoat :)

And here's another happy user... Chromecast now works fine (only starts when initiated by user).
Thanks for your effort in solving this,

Peter

I'm about to publish an update that fixes a few bugs and also uses the latest support libraries from Google. I wanted to make sure that the new libraries did not bring back the Chromecast problem.

Would you mind trying out the beta version? Just use this link to opt-in and you be able to update to the beta: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....angrygoat.android.squeezectrl&token=YtCOpBw3

If anyone else wants to try it out, feel free, it's an open beta. However, it is limited to 1000 users.

jwittmann

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this great app. I use it daily.

Just one question: Is there any chance that you also provide an app for the Samsung galaxy Gear S2 and S3?

Best regards,

Jörn

renebk

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

Happy user of the Squeeze Ctrl :) I am using it actively in the home entertaintment setup, having a dedicated tablet to do the control part. One thing I would really like, is a tile based presentation of content. Using Tidal as main source, it would be a great thing to have a presentation similar to what is seen in other native apps with more candy to the eyes:)

Is this something possible to do - or under consideration?

Regards, René

SlimPvC

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Just to let you know: today suddenly, SqueezeCtrl could not connect to my server anymore. It has worked fine until yesterday. Don't know what's changed. I've opted out of the beta test and will install the stable version, see if this fixes it.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you know: today suddenly, SqueezeCtrl could not connect to my server anymore. It has worked fine until yesterday. Don't know what's changed. I've opted out of the beta test and will install the stable version, see if this fixes it.

Beta version you were using was already promoted to production, so opting out of the beta would not do anything.

SlimPvC

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting. Reverting back to 'stable' did solve the problem, but I had to wait until I was no longer a beta-tester. (Also reinstalled the test version but then still had this problem - until Play Store did not see me as a tester any longer).
Don't know what could've happened... strange coincidence possibly. But it's solved now.
Let me know if you need any more testing in the future.
Bye

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

Happy user of the Squeeze Ctrl :) I am using it actively in the home entertaintment setup, having a dedicated tablet to do the control part. One thing I would really like, is a tile based presentation of content. Using Tidal as main source, it would be a great thing to have a presentation similar to what is seen in other native apps with more candy to the eyes:)

Is this something possible to do - or under consideration?

Regards, René
On a tablet, there is a "tile" interface for albums for on a local server. I don't have any plans for something similar for the apps.

hegerber

May 5, 2017
Visit site
Solved it. Just had to get rid of the start-up picture.

I never get to enter my mysqueezebox.com credentials. It seems to log in to mysqueezebox.com without asking for username or password and I don't get to choose any players. I have tried to deregister and reconnect multiple times without luck. At the top it just says Squeezebox acoount. Any ideas? I have Galaxy S7 with android 7.0 in Norway.

Last edited:

Richard Kimber

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I have Squeeze Ctrl on a Samsung Tab S. If I turn the display off and after some time turn it on again, Squeeze Ctrl frequently (but not always) has broken the connection. It then takes a while to reconnect. I don't have this issue with any other app, so I wondered if there was some preference setting that I'm missing. Also, it seems to want to check for Tablet Mode each time and this takes about 5 secs. I'm surprised it should take so long and that it needs to be done more frequently than just when the app is first started.

Any suggestions on these issues?

Apart from the above, I'm very happy with Squeeze Ctrl and find it extremely useful.

Richard Kimber

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I think your tablet is putting the wifi to sleep when you turn the display off. There should be an option to turn that off.

But that doesn't happen with other apps. For example the weather app I use just updates its display whenever I bring it to the foreground. Why should it go to sleep just with Squeeze Ctrl?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The weather app only checks when it shows up, while Squeeze Ctrl needs to maintain a constant connection to work. Also the connection speed can depend on the response speed of the server. LMS is not the most robust server.

When Squeeze Ctrl is taking a while to connect, try manually disconnecting and immediately hit the connect button.
It will probably connect right away. Sometimes LMS can be a little slow to respond.

Last edited:

redrum69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I love the app as my go to for my beloved SB's. I have a couple of questions/reguests specific to my situation. please forgive me if it has been covered, or it is already in the app but I haven't discovered it.

Background - I have two servers in two different locations, "home" and "camp". Home has 5 SB's, camp has 2.

1) I find that when I travel from home to camp, or visa versa, I cannot "connect" to the server at that location unless I go into preferences->manage servers, and choose the radio button for the location (under found or saved). Should it be automatic?

2) I use sync alot. Example - if I am working outside I might sync "garage" with "outdoor", and maybe "workshop" too. But, I want to make sure I unsync "outdoor" when I am done so I am not playing the outdoor speakers at 11PM if I am in the garage or basement. I leave the amps or booms on. I would love to see either/both:
a) an unsync all. maybe on the manage players menu selection (at top or bottom of list of players)
b) from the pullup at the bottom (between volume and rew/fwd) a selection for sync. I don't use repeat, shuffle, etc.
I can navigate to sync and unsync but it's alot of operations. To be able to sync or unsync all/individual on the same page would allow me to sync, say 3 by sync all (syncs 5), then unsync the two I don't want.
c) even better would be sync favorites (common sync profiles), but now I am getting out of control :)

Thanks for a sweet app.
Jim

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
1) I find that when I travel from home to camp, or visa versa, I cannot "connect" to the server at that location unless I go into preferences->manage servers, and choose the radio button for the location (under found or saved). Should it be automatic?
This behavior is correct. Squeeze Ctrl always tries to connect to the last used address first, regardless what server discovery finds. If the connection fails then it will ask you if you want to choose another server. For the vast majority of cases, this can speed up the connection by a few seconds since server discovery takes 2-3 seconds.

One way around this is to assign the same IP address to the servers at home and at camp.

You don't have to go into preferences to change the selected server. Just tap the header in the blank space between the icons where there's a little "down" arrow.

2) I use sync alot. Example - if I am working outside I might sync "garage" with "outdoor", and maybe "workshop" too. But, I want to make sure I unsync "outdoor" when I am done so I am not playing the outdoor speakers at 11PM if I am in the garage or basement. I leave the amps or booms on. I would love to see either/both:
a) an unsync all. maybe on the manage players menu selection (at top or bottom of list of players)
b) from the pullup at the bottom (between volume and rew/fwd) a selection for sync. I don't use repeat, shuffle, etc.
I can navigate to sync and unsync but it's alot of operations. To be able to sync or unsync all/individual on the same page would allow me to sync, say 3 by sync all (syncs 5), then unsync the two I don't want.
A sync/unsync all button is a good idea and shouldn't be too hard to add, though it wouldn't save you any taps in your specific example.

Proposed method: 1 tap on sync all button to open menu of players to sync to, 1 tap to choose the player to sync to, 2 taps to choose the players to unsync, 1 tap on the unsync button = 5 taps.

Current method: 3 taps to choose the players to sync, 1 tap on the sync button, 1 tap on the player to sync to = 5 taps.

Of course, I get what you mean, and if you are syncing more players it will save taps.

c) even better would be sync favorites (common sync profiles), but now I am getting out of control :)
Sync favorites is an interesting idea, but the implementation would be a lot more involved and not something I feel like tackling right now, but I'll put it on the back burner.

BTW, you can double tap the space on the bottom between the volume and playback buttons to open the Player Manager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20