Squeeze Control for Android (support thread)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello Wayne,

thank you for your reactivityv ! I too discovered Michael's data files plug-in recently, thanks to one of the guys at Audiophonics, a major French retailer in the Hifi area. I suspected something like what you describe was at work with PDFs' handling, but didn't think the plug-in itself was to be incriminated. Good enough that you and Michael will consider including a small mod into your next update. This PDF display feature is not fundamental to a control point such as Squeeze Ctrl, however, it contributes to making Roon superfluous in the LMS ecosystyem despite Roon's impressive musical database integration.

The one thing I'm still puzzled at is that TXT files do display alright within the Squeeze Ctrl UI, and I've observed (at least on my new Huawei tablet) that when I tap a TXT filename from w<ithin Squeeze Ctrl, a request is initiated to run a 3rd-party text display app (an Android pop-up opens and I get a choice of HTML Viewer, WPS Text, or Chrome), and of course the file itself is downloaded by LMS from the server in the background. This made me think that the PDF issue was an Android integration issue for Squeeze Ctrl, rather than a handshaking issue with Michael's plug-in in LMS..... The invocation process seems strictly identical for both TXT and PDF files, yet only the TXT files can be displayed....

Anyway, thank you again for having responded so quickly, keep up the good work !

Best regards
JLT

Actually I think you're mistaken about how txt files are shown. On my phone, the contents of the txt file is just shown within Squeeze Ctrl instead of using an external app.

Text files work because the base Squeezebox system already has a defined method for apps to receive and display long pieces of text, so LMS can just read the text file and directly send the contents to the app, and I guess Micheal took advantage of that for the plugin.

For pdf's LMS cannot read the file so it has to send a link to it for the app to open and that is not part of the base Squeezebox system.

Gilles Gamesh

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm using Daphile on an Intel NUC. Your app is very efficient but I have a problem: I can't find any button to shutdown my server. I can't understand. I used orange squeeze and I had this elemantary option. I have to open Chrome and close Daphile manually, by Web interface. Any idea ? Thanks for your job.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm using Daphile on an Intel NUC. Your app is very efficient but I have a problem: I can't find any button to shutdown my server. I can't understand. I used orange squeeze and I had this elemantary option. I have to open Chrome and close Daphile manually, by Web interface. Any idea ? Thanks for your job.
I have an update in beta right now that has that exact function in the server page in preferences. I going to wait a little to see if there are any reports of problems before I fully release it.

You can opt-in to the beta with this URL: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.angrygoat.android.squeezectrl

Gilles Gamesh

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
I have an update in beta right now that has that exact function in the server page in preferences. I going to wait a little to see if there are any reports of problems before I fully release it.

You can opt-in to the beta with this URL: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.angrygoat.android.squeezectrl

Hi again,

Unfortunately, the server crash when I'm trying to shutdown. So I have to restart it in My browser. No gain for now. With Daphile, The command shutdown the server and the NUC. When I restart, Squeeze Ctrl doesn't find the server quickly. It takes few attempts. Any idea ?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi again,

Unfortunately, the server crash when I'm trying to shutdown. So I have to restart it in My browser. No gain for now. With Daphile, The command shutdown the server and the NUC. When I restart, Squeeze Ctrl doesn't find the server quickly. It takes few attempts. Any idea ?

There's no way for Squeeze Ctrl to send a command to shutdown the actual machine, by that I mean it can't send a linux shutdown command. It can only send the shutdown command for LMS.

When you restart the server, it takes time to boot up and load on the software and until LMS is running, there's no way for Squeeze Ctrl to find the server.

Gilles Gamesh

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
Too bad... You can't send the shutdown's command by sending the request by html ? Or emulate the command ? Or something else ? A lot of daphile users would be very interested in using your app if that kind of command were natively implemented.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Too bad... You can't send the shutdown's command by sending the request by html ? Or emulate the command ? Or something else ? A lot of daphile users would be very interested in using your app if that kind of command were natively implemented.
Daphile may use open source software for most of the functionality, but the parts that are proprietary are closed and there is no public API or documentation for developers. I don't have a spare machine to install it, so unless someone can tell me the exact command to send through http to shutdown the system, there's nothing I can do.

Besides I doubt that one feature would really sway that many users since music servers are typically never shutdown.

frank1969

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I just bought Squeeze Ctrl to connect to my (web based) Squeezebox Server installation of LMS (latest build) - but I can't.
i checked the server is working and I can conenct via web-interface AND via "Squeezer" App (Android) - this works fine.
I can also connect to my LOCAL LMS-installation via WLAN on my home network - but not to the internet installation.

I went to "options" and added the server manually with
adress 212.xxx.xxx.xxx
port 9000
and the login information - but it always says "no player found"

Doing the same with "squeezer" it works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just bought Squeeze Ctrl to connect to my (web based) Squeezebox Server installation of LMS (latest build) - but I can't.
i checked the server is working and I can conenct via web-interface AND via "Squeezer" App (Android) - this works fine.
I can also connect to my LOCAL LMS-installation via WLAN on my home network - but not to the internet installation.

I went to "options" and added the server manually with
adress 212.xxx.xxx.xxx
port 9000
and the login information - but it always says "no player found"

Doing the same with "squeezer" it works fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Are players connected to the internet server?

frank1969

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Another problem:
I can see nearly no album covers, just the default Icon. When in browse the library on the lms Interface I can see ALL covers.

Browsing with Squeeze Ctrl I See a few only. Eg I searched for a popular artist and it showed a list of about 100 albums I own. For the first 20 or 30 albums (sorted chronologically it showed EVERY cover, on the further 70 or 80 it showed NONE). I there any limitation? In Web Interface I See ALL covers (btw: I have them included in mp3 files and additionally a folder.jpg in every Filder)

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Another problem:
I can see nearly no album covers, just the default Icon. When in browse the library on the lms Interface I can see ALL covers.

Browsing with Squeeze Ctrl I See a few only. Eg I searched for a popular artist and it showed a list of about 100 albums I own. For the first 20 or 30 albums (sorted chronologically it showed EVERY cover, on the further 70 or 80 it showed NONE). I there any limitation? In Web Interface I See ALL covers (btw: I have them included in mp3 files and additionally a folder.jpg in every Filder)
Just wait. Since your server is on the internet, the covers will take longer to load.

frank1969

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Just wait. Since your server is on the internet, the covers will take longer to load.

No, that seems not to be the reason unfortunately. I'm now waiting for 24 hours - not a single cover has loaded.
Also if I check "new music" - no covers shown.

BUT if I browse it ALSO over the internet with the lms web interface (from my smartphone calling the server by http://212.xxx.xxx ) EVERY cover is shown immediately... :(
Where does Squeeze Ctrl. the cover infos take from? Also from artwork.db placed in C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache ?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
No, that seems not to be the reason unfortunately. I'm now waiting for 24 hours - not a single cover has loaded.
Also if I check "new music" - no covers shown.

BUT if I browse it ALSO over the internet with the lms web interface (from my smartphone calling the server by http://212.xxx.xxx ) EVERY cover is shown immediately... :(
Where does Squeeze Ctrl. the cover infos take from? Also from artwork.db placed in C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache ?
Run a full library rescan. Artwork not showing is a symptom of library corruption.

frank1969

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Run a full library rescan. Artwork not showing is a symptom of library corruption.

Meanwhile I did the full library rescan - nothing changed.
Still I see ALL covers when I use "LMS web interface" or "SqueezePlay" - and I see neraly NO cover when I use SqueezeCtrl.
So there should be no library corruption (even for I see them with the "original" LMS products.

So I guessed if LMS Wev interface and SqueezePlay have another "ressource" to keep the images from?

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile I did the full library rescan - nothing changed.
Still I see ALL covers when I use "LMS web interface" or "SqueezePlay" - and I see neraly NO cover when I use SqueezeCtrl.
So there should be no library corruption (even for I see them with the "original" LMS products.

So I guessed if LMS Wev interface and SqueezePlay have another "ressource" to keep the images from?
Covers are pulled from the server using a URL built from the numerical ID of the album. It doesn't point to a specific file.

Do you have a password set on that server? If so, disabled it and see if that works.

Also, what version of LMS are you using?

heavyweather

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have an elderly relative living with me who when using Squeeze Ctrl repeatedly selects the wrong player from the player selector. I was wondering if you could add some settings options which will simplify things for her and others, and make my life a little less bothersome.

Firstly, it'd be useful to provide an option to hide the server menu at the top of the screen. Just to avoid confusion.

Next, it'd make things much easier if I could edit the player selector on her copy of Squeeze Ctrl to exclude those players I don't want her to select. Which will prevent the music system in my home office suddenly bursting into life when I'm on a conference call.

Lastly, could you provide an option to make the player selector menu a little larger. Something easier on the eye for those whose eyes are no longer as sharp as they were.

Thanks for considering the requests. I hope they make some sort of sense.

Last edited:

losinj

Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm considering buying a cheap Android tablet to run Squeeze Ctrl. Currently I have it on my Android phone, which has 4GB RAM. Is there a minimum RAM requirement? The tablet at the top of my shortlist has 2GB, but I don't plan on using it for much else as I'm happy to carry on using my laptop for everything else. (I did trial it on the laptop, but I since prefer the idea of a tablet.)

Brilliant app, BTW! Seems more powerful, has fewer bugs (haven't noticed any yet :)) and is more friendly than a couple of others I've tried - and one of those wasn't free.

wayne@angrygoat

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm considering buying a cheap Android tablet to run Squeeze Ctrl. Currently I have it on my Android phone, which has 4GB RAM. Is there a minimum RAM requirement? The tablet at the top of my shortlist has 2GB, but I don't plan on using it for much else as I'm happy to carry on using my laptop for everything else. (I did trial it on the laptop, but I since prefer the idea of a tablet.)

Brilliant app, BTW! Seems more powerful, has fewer bugs (haven't noticed any yet :)) and is more friendly than a couple of others I've tried - and one of those wasn't free.
There isn't a minimum RAM requirement for the app and Android limits how much rmemory an app can use anyway, no matter the amount of device RAM.

Squeeze Ctrl automatically adjusts it's memory usage to the amount of ram it has access to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34