Memory Booster and Task Killer?

biggroc85

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Advanced Task Killer and just heard about Memory Booster and wanted to know A what you guys think of Memory Booster and B do I need to use both?

Thanks

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
from what I read it's pretty much systempanel but it lets you program when to shut down apps; which many ppl been asking for in systempanel.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anybody actually use the app and have some feedback?

Would this be like adjusting the minfree settings but without requiring root?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Having more memory free on a Linux OS doesn't necessarily equate to better performance. If you remove something from memory that the OS needs 30 seconds later, you've just slowed performance, because it takes time for the OS to reload what you just removed. Android is very good at managing memory and, unlike BB, WinMob, and other OS's will reuse allocated memory when necessary.

Having a bunch of empty memory sitting around saves nothing, except in a very specific case. Take a look at the following article for more info:

http://www.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-minfree-settings-improving-androids-multi-tasking

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Having more memory free on a Linux OS doesn't necessarily equate to better performance. If you remove something from memory that the OS needs 30 seconds later, you've just slowed performance, because it takes time for the OS to reload what you just removed. Android is very good at managing memory and, unlike BB, WinMob, and other OS's will reuse allocated memory when necessary.

Having a bunch of empty memory sitting around saves nothing, except in a very specific case. Take a look at the following article for more info:

http://www.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-minfree-settings-improving-androids-multi-tasking

I hear what you are saying, but my experience with the droid x is the complete opposite.

any time the droid x gets below around 55mb of memory it slows to a crawl.
this is repeatable on the 2 DX's we own.
when using a task killer and killing off unnecessary apps like amazonmp3, skype, cityid., etc etc) and the phone regains that memory, thus bringing it above 55mb, the phone returns to "mostly" normal speed.

as far as apps that are needed, I don't see many people killing off system files/apps.
the phone doesn't NEED skype to run, or city id or any of the other ton of bloatware that is installed on it.
linux doesn't need it nor does the droid x need it.
so there is nothing wrong with killing that stuff off.

In my experience, the phone and o/s do not do a good job at managing the memory.
as a matter of fact, there is a big write up by someone who goes into detail about how to more aggressively manage your memory (root required) and specifically talks about keeping it above 60mb to for optimal performance.
My stock set up does not do this..

net - memory mgmt. via task killers are valid and necessary (at least when it comes to the DX)

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, but my experience with the droid x is the complete opposite.

any time the droid x gets below around 55mb of memory it slows to a crawl.
this is repeatable on the 2 DX's we own.
when using a task killer and killing off unnecessary apps like amazonmp3, skype, cityid., etc etc) and the phone regains that memory, thus bringing it above 55mb, the phone returns to "mostly" normal speed.

as far as apps that are needed, I don't see many people killing off system files/apps.
the phone doesn't NEED skype to run, or city id or any of the other ton of bloatware that is installed on it.
linux doesn't need it nor does the droid x need it.
so there is nothing wrong with killing that stuff off.

In my experience, the phone and o/s do not do a good job at managing the memory.
as a matter of fact, there is a big write up by someone who goes into detail about how to more aggressively manage your memory (root required) and specifically talks about keeping it above 60mb to for optimal performance.
My stock set up does not do this..

net - memory mgmt. via task killers are valid and necessary (at least when it comes to the DX)

I agree, really wish someone comes up with an app that automatically goes through the froyo system to kill apps with one click.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12