Smart Keyboard Pro or Better Keyboard?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I use smart keyboard pro. It's amazing. I don't use auto text often, but when I do it seems pretty accurate. Not as accurate as the Froyo keyboard, but def. close. Plus, if you're on a 2.1 device or higher, it's full multi touch.

Tried better keyboard, seemed just a skin of the stock keyboard so I didn't keep it.

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
i use Smart Keyboard Pro (paid) and I like it very much. Dev posts updates frequently. Works well. User-definable dictionary.

aviduser

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Blackberry and I depend heavily on auto text - it's a combination of laziness and the need to type quickly: I want to tap a "b" and have it type "be", tap "asap" and have it type "ASAP", or tap "sig" and have it type in my 4-line signature. I can tell you that Smart Keyboard Pro does what I need.

One note though...compared to the BlackBerry, it is missing a couple of things:
1) Variables: You could put a "%b" in the autotext and it would backspace...very handy in certain situations. There are other variables that would put in your phone number, date, etc.
2) SmartCase: You could tell the BlackBerry to type in the text exactly as you entered it or to apply standard case rules like capitalizing the first letter of a sentence. For example, I have an auto text in Smart Keyboard Pro for "chk -> check". Unfortunately, it will always use the lower case spelling for "check" because that's how I created it. With 'SmartCase', I could tell the BlackBerry to capitalized if it was the first word in the sentence.

Steve

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I have the native HTC keyboard (duh), the Droid X, Smart Keyboard Pro and Swype. I like Smart the best right now with the Android skin (never got the hang of Swype). The Droid X keyboard is a close second - and would be #1 if it did an auto cap of the "i". Can't believe it misses that!

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Blackberry and I depend heavily on auto text - it's a combination of laziness and the need to type quickly: I want to tap a "b" and have it type "be", tap "asap" and have it type "ASAP", or tap "sig" and have it type in my 4-line signature. I can tell you that Smart Keyboard Pro does what I need.

One note though...compared to the BlackBerry, it is missing a couple of things:
1) Variables: You could put a "%b" in the autotext and it would backspace...very handy in certain situations. There are other variables that would put in your phone number, date, etc.
2) SmartCase: You could tell the BlackBerry to type in the text exactly as you entered it or to apply standard case rules like capitalizing the first letter of a sentence. For example, I have an auto text in Smart Keyboard Pro for "chk -> check". Unfortunately, it will always use the lower case spelling for "check" because that's how I created it. With 'SmartCase', I could tell the BlackBerry to capitalized if it was the first word in the sentence.

Steve

I've been trying to find out about auto-text, since I may get a G2 tonight. I'm a BlackBerry auto-text power user, as I was with SideKick before BB. I have hundreds of abbreviations of common words stored in my auto-text dictionary. This, in conjunction with a physical keyboard, enables me to enter text very fast, and I'm reluctant to give it up. So-called predictive text and auto-suggest are no substitute. So, to make sure I understand, the Smart Keyboard Pro app does auto-text, but it just doesn't do SmartCase, is that correct? And no other app does both? I think I can live without SmartCase.

Does Smart Keyboard Pro work across the platform, in email, browser, etc? Does it not do substitutions where it shouldn't, such as in Google's search box or URL entry?

Ubizmo

barryhen

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i used to use auto-text as an avid blackberry user for about 9 years...just recently jumped ship to droid inc, and started using Swiftkey...no need for auto-text anymore, its predictive text and pattern recognition is unreal! i have been able to type out full sentences of responses for work in less time than i used to take doing the same on my BB...i have tried every keyboard out there for droid, from the HTC one, to better keyboard, swype, and SwiftKey is by far the best one...give it a try for a day or two...you may be surprised as I was...

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I also came from numerous blackberry devices before coming to Droid. I love the Smart Keyboard Pro and I bought the paid version a day after getting the free version.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I prefer Smart Keyboard. My suggestion is to try both and make your own decision. It seems like everyone has a their own personal preference.

Leafgreen

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Meh, neither. I absolutely loooove Ultra Keyboard. I just spoke this post from the the app. Support is great on a facebook page that you can access from a link on their android Market page.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7