Who's using Google Voice as your primary text

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a no text plan but added on the 250/mo for $5 on Verizon. If I were to drop that and use GV exclusively for text would it be a lot of work to get those I text to use my GV contact and not the phone number?

Once I started a string of msgs I assume that would keep the string on my GV number but if they just txt me from their contacts it would probably use my VZW number right?

Just looking to knock a few bucks off my monthly service so I can get data added to the misses phone. Thanks

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
from my experience, your contacts WOULD have to use your GV number for them to come to your GV inbox. if not then it will be deducted from your text message count.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I can probably get the ppl I text most to add the number...the rest would be a few cents here and there I guess.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
yes! I wonder if it might be easier to just give contacts the google voice number and have the voicecalls fwd to the cell number?

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
yes! thats the idea. (thats what i do) you can edit your voicemail greeting and everything. also the number is nice to have incase you dont know what the other persons service provider is for texting. also GV sends email and/or text messages to you when you have a new VM or call or SMS or whatever

remmus2k

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess its great if you have a ton of phones.

I just have a cellphone so it seems useless to me. Glad to know people are adopting it.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm just trying to find a free sms text alternative to the $5/mo since I'm already giving them $30/mo for data

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I do this and it works great.....we downgraded from a high text plan and i still keep the 250 plan, for others who might text (I might be able to get rid of this, too)...

I've given people my GV # more now (only people I text with - older family, i keep them using my VZW #)....

They do have to text back to your GV #, of course.......if you want to send PIX messages, though, you can't use GV. You'll have to use VZW, but I believe you'll just pay the per/message fee (which if you don't do it very often, will be much less that $5 a month) - your actual transfer of the picture should be covered in your data plan, I believe.

dandrumheller

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep - I'm doing this now too. I just used my new aria as an excuse to send a message to all my normal use contacts that I was switching over to google voice, and to call and text via that number. The adoption has been a little spotty so far (it's only been a couple weeks though) but when someone texts me on my regular number, I just respond via google voice. That usually gets them to catch on to add the new number to their contacts if they didn't already.

Works great! Good luck.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I mentioned my Google Voice in my default voicemail greeting when I was changing over. I also emailed all my contacts and put it on my email signature.
My transition was great.

Now I use my Google Voice number for everything and hardly ever give out my regular number.
I canceled my unlimited text plan ($20/month) and added my Google Voice number to my calling circle. On Google Voice's settings I had my Google Number show on my caller ID anytime I got a call. Because of this I got unlimited free minutes on any incoming calls plus I used GV dialer app to call out and that calls your Google Voice number first, then rings back to connect the calls. So I got a plan of 900 minutes and only used 40 in my first month I got my Incredible.
Downside to this is that you don't get to see who's calling on your phone, but you can enable call screening on your Google Voice settings and get the audio prompt when you answer.

Since then I removed that setting since I dont get close to using my minutes, but I still use it for everything.
If you set up groups and group voice greetings it works great.
Transcription is a spotty, but I love Google Voice.
I even made it my default voicemail service on my phone. Now I dont have to call any number to retrieve messages.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85