04-20-2017 11:27 PM
83 1234
tools
    And the answer is no. Still need to turn on the equalizer for music to play gaplessly.

Posted via Android Central App
    02-12-2014 06:59 PM
    So any of you who are still complaining about this bug in version 5.4.1409N, there's a "send feedback" link right in the settings that let's you send Google and email about the app. I already sent and told them the gapless bug is still there (unless you turn on the equalizer). I urge everyone to send in reports complaining, maybe they'll get around to fixing it if enough people complain.
    02-13-2014 07:29 AM
    Not sure if I'm just missing something or what, but even with the Equalizer on I'm still not getting gapless playback. It's less of a gap, but it's still there. I'm using a Galaxy S3... are there other settings I should be turning on/off? Anything with the cache?

Thanks for your help... I would hate to switch to Spotify.
    02-25-2014 12:45 PM
    Not sure if I'm just missing something or what, but even with the Equalizer on I'm still not getting gapless playback. It's less of a gap, but it's still there. I'm using a Galaxy S3... are there other settings I should be turning on/off? Anything with the cache?

Thanks for your help... I would hate to switch to Spotify.
    I have these two options checked:

Gapless playback of music from Google Play-1h9ewml.png

I'm not sure how it works/doesn't work on the S3. I know people have been reporting different behavior with different phones. I'm using a Nexus 5 and with those settings turned on (and the equaliser on) I can get gapless playback. Hope this helps.
    02-26-2014 07:06 AM
    Since i'm the keeper of this thread and it's biggest fan, just a short message to say I received a small Google Play Music update today, v5.4.1413N this version now fixes gapless playback without having to use the equalizer. Tested it on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", the Who's "Quadrophenia" and Tool's Lateralus (2 songs of Parabol and Parabola that play gaplessly). All is well, for now.
    03-06-2014 03:59 PM
    Sadly this update did not fix this problem for me and Google doesn't even return email responses. Horrible customer service. I am going to have to cancel them and go with Spotify or someone else. They are leaving me no choice here.

03-06-2014 06:41 PM
    Sadly this update did not fix this problem for me and Google doesn't even return email responses. Horrible customer service. I am going to have to cancel them and go with Spotify or someone else. They are leaving me no choice here.

What phone do you have? Forgot to mention I'm on a Nexus 5, I know different phones behave differently with this app.

03-07-2014 05:53 AM
    I have the HTC ONE M7 and have been trying to gain gapless playback through the Google music app for months. I fell onto this thread and turned off beats audio and installed the app 'equaliser' and I had the option of equaliser shown in Google music. The gap has reduced but still present. I heard that if I was on the Google edition Rom I would have gapless but I'm not sure, if Nexus owners are also having issues.
    03-08-2014 03:12 AM
    What phone do you have? Forgot to mention I'm on a Nexus 5, I know different phones behave differently with this app.

Moto X. And that right there shows the problem with however Google is doing things. Spotify doesn't have this issue. It works on my phone right. So why shouldn't Google Music too? If they can't make their own product work with their own OS, while other companies can, that's pretty incompetent.
    03-08-2014 12:44 PM
    This infuriating problem is still not fixed for my Nexus 4 running 4.4.2. I don't know about earlier versions. I sent GPM feedback but of course haven't gotten any response.
    03-24-2014 04:41 AM
    Can anyone link me to an equaliser app that works for this issue? (preferably for the HTC One.) There are so many on the Play Store and I've come across a number that don't work.
    03-27-2014 05:10 PM
    This infuriating problem is still not fixed for my Nexus 4 running 4.4.2. I don't know about earlier versions. I sent GPM feedback but of course haven't gotten any response.
    They promised me a response in 48 hours and it's been 12 days. Worst service ever. Google is horrible in this regard and I do not understand why. Someone needs to be fired. They need better tech support management.

03-29-2014 01:17 AM
    I've had this issue for ages with my HTC One (M7) - don't know how I missed this thread in my searches.

I believe the fact that all audio on the M7 is routed through the Beats Equaliser is what is breaking the gapless playback (as it'll be bypassing the stock Android audio API that allows for gapless playback). That's my theory anyway, as it does seem to work fine on the Google Play Edition version of the M7 (which doesn't have Beats software equaliser). There's no way of activating the Android stock equaliser on the M7 that I can see either.

No way I'm rooting it though and missing out on all the nice HTC rom touches.

I've reported it multiples times within the app but I'm not sure who's problem it is to fix - Google or HTC...
    03-31-2014 04:58 AM
    I just had to give props to your choice of albums there. You obviously know what's up. Cheers
    04-12-2014 01:23 PM
    Since i'm the keeper of this thread and it's biggest fan, just a short message to say I received a small Google Play Music update today, v5.4.1413N this version now fixes gapless playback without having to use the equalizer. Tested it on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", the Who's "Quadrophenia" and Tool's Lateralus (2 songs of Parabol and Parabola that play gaplessly). All is well, for now.
    Nicee
    04-12-2014 01:25 PM
    I've had this issue for ages with my HTC One (M7) - don't know how I missed this thread in my searches.

I believe the fact that all audio on the M7 is routed through the Beats Equaliser is what is breaking the gapless playback (as it'll be bypassing the stock Android audio API that allows for gapless playback). That's my theory anyway, as it does seem to work fine on the Google Play Edition version of the M7 (which doesn't have Beats software equaliser). There's no way of activating the Android stock equaliser on the M7 that I can see either.

No way I'm rooting it though and missing out on all the nice HTC rom touches.

I've reported it multiples times within the app but I'm not sure who's problem it is to fix - Google or HTC...
    I'm seriously considering ditching sense. Even though I love blink feed and zoe, I'm pretty sure I'll find something third party that does the trick. What I can't find is something that works completely with my google music and I use my phone mostly as a personal music player more than anything. This is a joke , the so called boom box that can't play music gaplessly. HTC or google fix this. Why does Poweramp play gaplessly and google music cannot on my HTC One.
    04-15-2014 05:21 AM
    I'm seriously considering ditching sense. Even though I love blink feed and zoe, I'm pretty sure I'll find something third party that does the trick. What I can't find is something that works completely with my google music and I use my phone mostly as a personal music player more than anything. This is a joke , the so called boom box that can't play music gaplessly. HTC or google fix this. Why does Poweramp play gaplessly and google music cannot on my HTC One.
    I know it's frustrating. I don't even know the proper channel to raise bugs with Google. Seems like it works on Nexus devices but is flaky on others.
    04-16-2014 07:43 AM
    I've noticed the ViperOne ROM for the HTC One ([ROM][APR 17] ViperOne 6.1.0 | 1.54.401.5 | Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 | Venom Tweaks, VenomPie, Venom Hub, Theming, Icon Packs, OTA Updates and more! - Support for all variants - xda-developers) has a "SoundEnhancer" feature that includes the BeatsAudio as an option but also has custom equalisers. I wonder if these custom equalisers bypass whatever sound APIs the HTC One uses by default and would therefore get gapless playback working?

I'd love to hear from someone who's using ViperOne; I don't think I'm quite ready to go rooting my device right now
    04-24-2014 04:30 AM
    OK so...with the new Android 4.4.3 and Google Play music v5.5.1514O gapless playback now seems to work without having to turn on the equalizer (on the Nexus 5 anyway). YMMV.

Edit: I take it back. It's still broken.

It's as if i'm fixated on this one bug that Google will never fix.
    06-04-2014 03:35 PM
    Hi mzanette. What equalizer app are you using? I can't seem to find the one that looks like your screenshot. Thanks.
    06-09-2014 03:30 PM
    Rooted HTC One users... Installed ViPER4Android Audio Effects and gapless is now working!! So ******* stoked. I've been dealing with this damn issue for so long...
    Philip Belcher likes this.
    06-09-2014 03:56 PM
    Hi mzanette. What equalizer app are you using? I can't seem to find the one that looks like your screenshot. Thanks.

It's the built in equalizer for Google Play Music app. Under Settings->Equalizer
    06-11-2014 12:00 PM
    Thanks. Apparently HTC has disable the built in EQ on my phone. If anyone is still having gapless playback issue even with the EQ on I recommend trying VIPER4ANDROID I mentioned above. Only catch is you have to be rooted. I was ready to switch to iPhone (I still might when 6 comes out), but this solved the gapless issue. Pretentious album snobs need gapless!!
    06-12-2014 12:21 PM
    Thanks. Apparently HTC has disable the built in EQ on my phone. If anyone is still having gapless playback issue even with the EQ on I recommend trying VIPER4ANDROID I mentioned above. Only catch is you have to be rooted. I was ready to switch to iPhone (I still might when 6 comes out), but this solved the gapless issue. Pretentious album snobs need gapless!!
    I don't think it's even pretentious album snobs, I mean this is 2014, gapless playback of music should be a given. I used to have an iPhone from 2008-2012 and I had gapless playback back then. Makes no sense that Google can't get it right. For listening to live albums it's a must. Luckily I have this workaround solution with the equalizer on.
    06-13-2014 08:40 AM
    You know the drill, a new version of Google Play Music drops, and I play Tool's Parabol and Parabola back to back to see if gapless playback works without having to turn on the Equalizer.

Play Music Version: 5.6.1609P
    Phone: Nexus 5
    Android version: L preview build
    Gapless playback status : WORKS

Yes, I don't know if it's due to the new version of Google Play Music alone, or the combination of Music running on Android L preview, but gapless playback once again works without having to use the Equalizer.
    07-08-2014 09:11 AM
83 1234