Android messaging service

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok so first came blackberry with bbm then came apple with imessage where is androids answer to the other messaging services? Will we ever see this? Why havent we seen this yet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google needs to unify these three products -

Google Talk
Google+ Messenger
Google Voice

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
yjedy2e8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's called Google Talk.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

What i mean is have it intigrated on the messaging app and have it advertised like bbm and imeeage is...i never hear anything about gtalk

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
What i mean is have it intigrated on the messaging app and have it advertised like bbm and imeeage is...i never hear anything about gtalk

So you want novelty crap basically stuff that serves absolutely no purpose cool buy an iPhone or BlackBerry

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So you want novelty crap basically stuff that serves absolutely no purpose cool buy an iPhone or BlackBerry

So bbm and imessage is novelty crap? Bbm is what is actually keeping rim running and who doesnt like imessage?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes novelty what is its purpose its still a messaging client all it does is allow messages to bb's or ijunk cool if you are looking for elitist crap I can text my friends because I have unlimited texts as do most people I can use gtalk to hit up people I can use gvoice to call if I so choose I mean really what are you looking for bragging rights because its certainly not functionality

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes novelty what is its purpose its still a messaging client all it does is allow messages to bb's or ijunk cool if you are looking for elitist crap I can text my friends because I have unlimited texts as do most people I can use gtalk to hit up people I can use gvoice to call if I so choose I mean really what are you looking for bragging rights because its certainly not functionality

Theres really no bragging rights to be had since 2 other major platforms have there own "novelty crap" as you are putting it....i really dont see why u would get against having it..if u wouldnt like it then dont use it. So im guessing if you had a blackberry you wouldnt us bbm or wohld disable imessage if you had ios?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Wait did you just say bb is a major platform lmfao let's not stretch the truth here. As far as your novelty messengers what can they do that messenger or gtalk can't please enlighten us

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Are you seriously downplaying the functionality of BBM and iMessage?

While BlackBerry and iOS/OS X users have a unified messaging platform, you're sitting there using SMS, Google Talk, and Google Voice. lol.

Wait did you just say bb is a major platform lmfao let's not stretch the truth here. As far as your novelty messengers what can they do that messenger or gtalk can't please enlighten us

Wait. (Google+) Messenger too? That's four.

Using Google Voice, can I send a group message out to multiple parties and have access to all of the replies?

Using Google Voice, can I send an MMS from my phone?

Using Google Talk, can I send a group message?

Using Google Voice, can I receive confirmation that the other party read my message?

BBM and iMessage are FAR from novelties.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you seriously downplaying the functionality of BBM and iMessage?

While BlackBerry and iOS/OS X users have a unified messaging platform, you're sitting there using SMS, Google Talk, and Google Voice. lol.

Wait. (Google+) Messenger too? That's four.

Using Google Voice, can I send a group message out to multiple parties and have access to all of the replies?

Using Google Voice, can I send an MMS from my phone?

Using Google Talk, can I send a group message?

Using Google Voice, can I receive confirmation that the other party read my message?

BBM and iMessage are FAR from novelties.

I never use the Google Talk, +, voice things either.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Gtalk can do group messaging I use it but its more of a chat feature. G+ messenger I use all the time for random chit chat and development rooms. I don't use gvoice but know it can do quite a bit but my original reference to messenger was actually meant for the MMS SMS app which with 4.2 supports group messaging also. But again what do these others offer that Google does not I'm confused

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Gtalk can do group messaging I use it but its more of a chat feature. G+ messenger I use all the time for random chit chat and development rooms. I don't use gvoice but know it can do quite a bit but my original reference to messenger was actually meant for the MMS SMS app which with 4.2 supports group messaging also. But again what do these others offer that Google does not I'm confused

I must have missed the Google Talk update that allowed group messaging.

What BBM and iMessage offer over Android's multiple messaging options is unification.

In the case of iMessage especially, iMessage works on all iOS devices and is now on OSX. On the iOS devices, the integration is seemless. One messaging app.

With iMessage, iOS users can get their messages on their iPads and iPods.

And these services go over the top of carriers - using data not message allotments.

Oh and how many devices are on 4.2? Exactly.

Google needs to unify Google Talk, Google+ Messenger, and Google Voice with the built-in SMS/MMS app.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

What BBM and iMessage offer over Android's multiple messaging options is unification.

In the case of iMessage especially, iMessage works on all iOS devices and is now on OSX. On the iOS devices, the integration is seemless. One messaging app.

And these services go over the top of carriers - using data not message allotments.

Google needs to unify Google Talk, Google+ Messenger, and Google Voice with the built-in SMS/MMS app.

Maybe I am old fashioned and not lazy I don't need one app to rule them all gtalk messenger and voice all run on data so there's that lol why must everything be unified to everyone what happened to just working with what you got. As for phones on 4.2 I know alot of the apps can be made to work on 4.1 and also source is available so technically it can be on any android phone especially ones falling under decent specs the fact that most will never try is what's holding that issue up

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

But the fact that bbm and iMessage only work on like devices and their OS doesn't tie everyone together. You get better connectivity using What's app. By making the messaging system exclusive you still end up with fragmentation between users. Texting is cheap enough and covers all my needs between the different os's. I hate it when everyone is using something different.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But the fact that bbm and iMessage only work on like devices and their OS doesn't tie everyone together. You get better connectivity using What's app. By making the messaging system exclusive you still end up with fragmentation between users. Texting is cheap enough and covers all my needs between the different os's. I hate it when everyone is using something different.

We're in a battle of ecosystems now. Closing off these messaging systems is probably what RIM, Apple, and Google want.

If anything is a "novelty app" it's What's App.