ColorNotes password problem..HELP!

jhilario72

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I recently switched phones. And am unable to restore my backed up notes to my new phone. I have the .dat and .idx files in the /data/colornote/backup directory, but ColorNotes asks for my password (presumably the password I set on my old phone) which I don't remember anymore. How can I restore these notes if I don't have the right password?

Is there away to recover these Notes?

Thanks,
Joe

levelm

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Try default password '0000' (numbers)

If that doesn't work:

Q: I forgot my password, how can I change it?
A: Menu -> Settings -> Master Password -> Menu Button-> Clear Password.
!! You will lose current locked notes when you clear password.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Try default password '0000' (numbers)

If that doesn't work:

Q: I forgot my password, how can I change it?
A: Menu -> Settings -> Master Password -> Menu Button-> Clear Password.
!! You will lose current locked notes when you clear password.

LOL, you must "know" the password to clear the password.

For those using this app, don't forget thy pass-code:)

jhilario72

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
0000 doesn't work for Notes backed up previously on a different phone (and with an unknown password).

There has to be a way to get those backup notes restored.

Mick Lee

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
It's possible to reset password and still keep the locked data.
First back u to sd card in colournote menu- settings-back upthe in settings clear master password
Then go to back up choose the back up and restore
The locked data will still be locked but when u open it it will ask you for a new password
Hope it helps

Mohammed Rafi

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Here u go.. It really works :)

1. Take back up of ur data in Settings-> back up

To verify the back up, open the back up data and view ur notes.. It shows all ur locked and unlocked notes

2. Clear the Master password
Settings-> Master password-clear password

It deletes ur locked notes.. But don worry u still have back up

3.Now set the new Master password
4. Go to back up again.. Check for the recent back up data.. ->Restore
5. Now u can open the locked notes vit ur new Master password

Enjoy guys :) :)

Mohammed Rafi

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
If you've not checked "Auto back up" already..
You'll not be able to take back up manually.. As it asks for password..

Then enable the "Auto back up" option and u need to wait for 24 hours for letting it take back up automatically.. Then go with the above procedure

CollegeMomLynn

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
You can reset the master password as described above and, yes, your locked messages will be deleted....BUT, you can still view them under old backups with your new password that you set! Copy and paste the information from your old deleted locked notes and put them into new notes in your Colornote app! Solved! :) I just did it today, Good Luck!

K Hayes

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I've changed my password & attempted to restore my data & nothing. I hit backup to so card, enter password & keep getting "backup failed". I can see all if my auto backups but cant view or restore them. Please help!

jambravo75

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi jhilario72, Aditya Saurabh, & K Hayes,

I had the same problem but I found a solution. I only had to update Colornote in my new-phone (looking for Colornote at Play Store, and then I choose "update"). Then you should be able to use the automatic backup-files without password.

Thanks.

tjne

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
This may have been answered but I'm not clear on the "Master Password" vs the "email & password" needed to sign on after loading app on new phone from play store. Are they the same? I used online sync on old phone, I loaded the app on new phone and now can not remember the password to sign on to old account. I can't find a way to reset password. I have a lot of important info on the old account that I need and can't get to it. Please help. Thanks.

Nunnia

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Here u go.. It really works :)

1. Take back up of ur data in Settings-> back up

To verify the back up, open the back up data and view ur notes.. It shows all ur locked and unlocked notes

2. Clear the Master password
Settings-> Master password-clear password

It deletes ur locked notes.. But don worry u still have back up

3.Now set the new Master password
4. Go to back up again.. Check for the recent back up data.. ->Restore
5. Now u can open the locked notes vit ur new Master password

Enjoy guys :) :)

Nunnia

May 30, 2016
Visit site
This works well. I know this is old comment but thank you. At first I didn't realize I needed to restore each one I lost individually but once I realized it was simple :)

cfusionusa

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hey, I tried your method but didn't work for me. My problem is that my back up is Auto back up. Does this method works the same for auto versus manual backup? Thanks.

Hilly137

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I lost my data after the last android upgrade. Although my data was synced to the cloud something obviously went wrong there as only 3 notes were restored. Same issues as others with Master password. I could see all my old data in my autobackup in Settings/backup but as I don't know my master password I couldn't get to the 'restore' screen to restore them in one go.

In desperation while looking at all my lost data, I opened a note and long pressed on it and got an option of 'restore' so I hit that.. and as I had nothing to lose, did the same with the rest (I only had 57 notes in total anyway).. when I went back to Colournote they were all there.. restored! Hurrah.

this might help anyone who doesn't know their master password (does anyone?); it was pretty simple once I'd discovered that I can restore each note individually.