Amazon Instant Video Vs. Google Play

chaseman28

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking earlier about why the Amazon Instant Video app is not available on non-Kindle Android devices. I don't want a Kindle (or an iPad) but I would like to use Amazon Instant. Does anyone know why it hasn't made it into the Google Play Store or the Amazon App Store? When I was thinking about this, it struck me how odd it is that Google is still using the Google Play Store to enforce hardware standards. I like that they do this but it seems that now that they sell content as opposed to just apps, they are leaving money on the table. Maybe they could release Google Play Books, Movies and Music apps on the Amazon App Store (would Amazon allow that? would they have a choice?). It's almost like they are trying not to compete directly with one another, at least in terms of content. Sidebar: Can you access the play.google.com from a Kindle? Are you able to download content and apps from Play through the Kindle's browser?

Thanks

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
The issue it's that the Kindle isn't running Android.

Strange as that sounds, it is a modified version of Android. Google has certain requirements for Google Apps access. With those functions not built into the specific OS, Google won't allow access to Google Play, Gmail, and other Android apps made by Google. The Google Services Framework isn't included on any of the Kindle Fires.

The Kindle Fire doesn't have access to Google Play, or any of the native Google apps. Amazon planned it this way. They want Fire owners to purchase content through Amazon's store. They sell the Fire at a loss to get people to buy content. They barely make any money at all on the sale of the actual device.

Amazon also welcomes other devices to come by content. You can load most Amazon apps onto other Android devices. They will be glad to take your money.

The only downside is that Amazon hasn't released a streaming video player for Android. The speculation is that this is so people will buy the Fire. After all, it's cheap! Want to watch free videos? Buy a Fire (and Amazon Prime)!

Even so, I watch Amazon Prime videos on my Nexus 7 all the time. It just takes loading Flash and a web browser that supports Flash. With xScope on my N7, can watch videos full screen. It even works on my Note 2 in the stock browser.

ljhgeist

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is amazing prime videos an app? I was looking for it in the Amazon app store but didn't see it. I use to use vevo for videos but it started having to many problems.

chaseman28

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding. My understanding is that the Kindle Fire runs a fork of Android (originally a fork of Gingerbread and now Ice Cream Sandwich). I know why Google Apps don't work on this forked/custom version of Android. I even understand why Google would use the Play Store to try to enforce standards. But what I don't get is why they don't release Google Play Music, Books, Magazines, and Movies apps in the Amazon Appstore. It's just expanding the number of people you can sell content to.

I know Amazon is glad to take my money for music, books and apps. But why not movies (through a dedicated app)? I have those other apps and I would gladly download the Amazon Instant Video app. As far as the idea that Amazon is holding out on that particular app so that more people will buy Kindles, I think the fact that the Amazon Instant Video app is available on the iPad undermines that.

I know you can watch Amazon videos on Android through some work-arounds but I would like something I could show my parents how to use relatively painlessly.

Again, thanks for your response.

chaseman28

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Amazon Instant Video is an app and it allows you to watch Prime videos. Only thing is you currently have to have an iPad or a Kindle Fire to use the app.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Part of the reason there is an iOS app is that they don't support Flash. The only way to watch streaming videos on them is through an app.

I keep hoping they will one day release a full Android version, but as long as they use it as a selling point for buying a Fire, I don't expect to actually see an app I can load onto my Nexus 7.