Is Vlingo worth the $10?

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
(Hope this post is read-able, I only got a little over 3 hours of sleep.)

Also an Evo user and I'm a noob.

I found the $10 bucks worth it. Vlingo is much more patient then google voice. You can take your time and dictate much, much longer messages then google voice can handle.

It also has safe reader, which I use when I drive. It reads text messages and alerts to me. I also use the free Car Mode widget by Andrew Schwimmer which, when enabled, automatically switches on speaker phone when you accept a call.

An important note is that Vlingo learns as you use it. You have to complete a task for Vlingo to consider that it was correct. On the down side these means it's difficult to speed train it unless you actually call and text your contacts a bunch of times. If you prepare a text message and don't hit send then Vlingo seems to consider that a failure and starts looking for other possible commands you where looking for.

On the other hand, it was able to quickly learn the Indian and some other none English pronounced names of some of my friends.

Also, while it's very good, I find the Vlingo keyboard to be inferior to the Sense keyboard. I just use the sense keyboard and have Vlingo bound to long key press on the search button.

Vlingo is definitely significantly better than google voice, however
unless Vlingo's guess is spot on, the first couple of times you preform some actions will take significantly longer then not using Vlingo. If Vlingo's guess is wrong, you have to back out of it's guess and then preform the correct action. Vlingo tends to learn the right action with one or two corrections.

It's unfortunate that 24 hours is really not enough time to become comfortable and train Vlingo. Which is why you see so many mixed reviews.

I'm happy I spent the $10.

Last edited:

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Even with Vlingo being free now, I favor the new Google Action and Voice Search. To be fair, isn't Vlingo the one that supposedly gets better the more you use it, as it "learns" to interpret you? If so, I didn't give it much chance before ditching it, but meand Vlingo were apparently speaking a different language. I haven't been using voice commands/search much the past few months as I've never been impressed with it. Always seemed to end up being more work.

However, I've been waiting CM 6 RC3 to come out for the Incredible, and it finally has, with Google's new Voice Actions included. So I decided to fire it up, and I was very excited to see how well it worked for me! I don't know who watched during Google IO, but my voice actions are working like they did throught the days at Google IO, whenever the did a demonstration using it. Really, I can send text, add texts to my note app, and search for things, with a very high rate of success. I would even wager to say it is hanging around a 90% success rate! I haven't used it too terribly much, but enough to confidently say it ain't no fluke. As with everything, tho, YMMV, so take my words of encouragement with a grain of salt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1