I can't open email attachments. Says they are corrupted. I know they aren't because I can see them on my desktop.
    07-16-2010 08:24 PM
    No one else has this problem?
    07-18-2010 03:59 PM
    anyone?
    07-20-2010 05:22 AM
    If the attachment is has a .EML file extension, it can't read them. Most of the time though, it would say that it's 0 KB.

What kind of attachments are they?
    07-20-2010 05:27 AM
    If the attachment is has a .EML file extension, it can't read them. Most of the time though, it would say that it's 0 KB.

What kind of attachments are they?
    Thanks for the response. They are jpegs. I know the attachments are good because I can see them on other devices or I can forward them to my other email account on my phone and view them from there. The email app I am using (that has the error message) is the stock HTC Sense email app getting my gmail through the Exchange server.
    07-20-2010 05:32 AM
    how are they jpegs if it shows EML extensions? are you sure the connection is not getting interrupted or are you using a different email protocol
    07-20-2010 10:24 AM
    The OP didn't say they were EML files, that was someone else asking a question, I think.

Anyway, I just sent myself two emails, each with a different .jpg attached. I had no trouble opening either of them, and viewing them with the Gallery app.
    07-20-2010 10:49 AM
    how are they jpegs if it shows EML extensions? are you sure the connection is not getting interrupted or are you using a different email protocol
    The OP didn't say they were EML files, that was someone else asking a question, I think.

Anyway, I just sent myself two emails, each with a different .jpg attached. I had no trouble opening either of them, and viewing them with the Gallery app.
    Right, they aren't EML files, they are jpegs. Just simple pictures attached to an email. And no, the connection is getting broken, I can't view them even when connected via wifi. I checked the file size, thinking maybe they were too big, but that isn't it.

Meyerweb, what app are you using? It seems that I can view the attachments in my gmail app, but not in the stock HTC email app. I have that account running through the Exchange method, but I wouldn't think that would matter.
    07-20-2010 11:05 AM
    I'm using the stock htc app. I haven't tried gmail with jpgs, although I've gotten other attachments on gmail without issue.

A couple of thoughts: I'm using htc mail to get my work EAS (Outlook) email. I suppose Pop3 could handle things differently.

I have "Attachment Cache" set to the SD card, not internal memory, and "include file attachment" set to Never. So I have to manually download the attachment after opening the message.

Check those settings, and if they're different than mine try changing them and see what happens.
    07-20-2010 12:05 PM
    I'm using the stock htc app. I haven't tried gmail with jpgs, although I've gotten other attachments on gmail without issue.

A couple of thoughts: I'm using htc mail to get my work EAS (Outlook) email. I suppose Pop3 could handle things differently.

I have "Attachment Cache" set to the SD card, not internal memory, and "include file attachment" set to Never. So I have to manually download the attachment after opening the message.

Check those settings, and if they're different than mine try changing them and see what happens.
    Thanks for helping me. I am also using EAS, but using it to get my gmail. I checked my settings...I already had Attachment Cache set to external memory, but had Include File Attachment to 500kb and under. I changed that to Never, and sent myself a new email from my wife's email address.

Before these changes, when I would see that I had an attachment, I would click on it and an error message would pop up saying the file was corrupted. After the changes, I see the that I have an attachment, and when I go to download it, it doesn't do anything. I hear the click of the audible feedback, and for a split second the attachment icon shows the little clock like it is going to download it, but then it doesn't do anything. Interestingly, my wife's email is through yahoo, and she has one of those girly stationary borders that sends as an attachment, and I could download and see that with no problems. I double checked the email in my outlook and it works fine.
    07-20-2010 12:39 PM
    Can't think of anything else to offer. Sorry.
    07-21-2010 08:02 PM
    Can't think of anything else to offer. Sorry.
    Thanks for your help. I am having so much trouble with the HTC email app I think I am just going to switch back to the gmail app. I liked the thought of having the email in a mail widget, and connected to all the other Sense stuff, but there are too many other bugs (Exchange Sync Errors, No Sender or Subject info in the notification bar, can't figure out how to make the EAS account the default account, can't figure out how to sync subfolders like sent mail...).
    07-22-2010 09:07 AM
    Weird. I have none of those problems. What phone are you using?
    07-22-2010 11:26 AM
    Weird. I have none of those problems. What phone are you using?
    HTC Aria, with stock 2.1 and just a basic Gmail account through the EAS.

Not sure if it is the phone or something else. I am having some other functionality issues as well with other apps...I can't get Google Voice to be the default outgoing phone app for all calls. I have it selected in settings that way, but it only works if I make a call through my contacts. If I punch in an unknown number, or return the call of an unknown number, the phone uses my mobile number.

Also, my wife's phone randomly puts itself on "vibrate only" or "silent" mode. I haven't been able to replicate this with any predictablilty, so I can't tell if this is a bug or that she is accidently pressing the buttons, but its not like she has these option toggles in an easily accessible spot, and she has the screen lock on anyway.

Also, my wife's proximity sensor may be buggy, because her cheak will randomly hang up the call or make a selection, even though she has the phone to her ear. Haven't been able to replicate this bug either, so it may just be a funky way she is holding it.
    07-22-2010 12:29 PM
    OK, I don't think the proximity sensor is buggy. I wasn't able to recreate the trouble, and I just think my wife was "holding it wrong", hahah. I think she was holding the phone too high up on her ear, and the sensor wasn't detecting anything since it was above her ear.

Still don't know about the other issues though.
    07-23-2010 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD