Is there a Profiles app that will give me these features?

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Mrs D Mac is transitioning from a Blackberry to an Android, and as any former Blackberry user knows Blackberry Profiles are worlds ahead of anything offered on Android.

So anyways here is what she needs (at a minimum):
An app that will Very easily allow her to set a night time profile that will allow calls and texts to ring but Nothing else.

There are over 10,000 results for "Profiles" in the Play Store but all of them seem to control All Notifications together (ie, either SMS & Email & Facebook & Whatsapp will all ring or they will all not). I need something with individual control of at least SMS still on when everything else is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
you can use tasker to set up a profile like that. It is an expensive app (as far as apps go) but it can get the job done. What phone is it? There may be alternatives but that is the one i can think of right off the top of my head

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
you can use tasker to set up a profile like that. It is an expensive app (as far as apps go) but it can get the job done. What phone is it? There may be alternatives but that is the one i can think of right off the top of my head
It is a HTC One V.

I played with tasker for 2 minutes, couldn't figure it out at all and gave up.

I could set it up for her, but it has to be Super simple to use. For example Profiles by Egg 'n Stone is perfect. There is always an icon in the taskbar showing what profile you are using. You select that it shows you your 4 profile options with No other options, you touch one of those and that icon shows in the taskbar. Perfect.

Can Tasker do something like that?

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm just going to upgrade her phone to CM9 so I can use the built in Profiles in that.

Has anyone used Cyanogen Profiles? Do you know if that will do what I am looking for?

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Mrs D Mac is transitioning from a Blackberry to an Android, and as any former Blackberry user knows Blackberry Profiles are worlds ahead of anything offered on Android.

So anyways here is what she needs (at a minimum):
An app that will Very easily allow her to set a night time profile that will allow calls and texts to ring but Nothing else.

There are over 10,000 results for "Profiles" in the Play Store but all of them seem to control All Notifications together (ie, either SMS & Email & Facebook & Whatsapp will all ring or they will all not). I need something with individual control of at least SMS still on when everything else is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try Silent Time. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...QuiteHypnotic.SilentTime&hl=en&token=vYd4Yb_X
Nice to see you over at AC. :)

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
OK just to close out this thread. I checked out Tons of apps and looks like there are none that allow for proper BB style profiles.

However the profiles built into CM9 work perfect. They offer all the functionality she was looking for and once they are set up they are super easy to use.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
check out this app -

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ore/apps/details?id=Orion.Soft&token=EzsOMNSF

also - consider finding or recording a small no-sound "Blank" wav file and use that as part of the "Silent" Mode/Profile for certain Notifications.

Unfortunately that app, like all others, does not allow separate settings for email and text so it doesn't work.

And as to using a silent sound that would involve going into Facebook, WhatsApp, her 5 email accounts, etc before bed changing them all manually to silent, and then doing the reverse every morning. That is not realistic of course.

I've really looked at just about all of them there isn't any that offer what she needs.

Thanks for trying to help though.

(Although she is perfectly happy with CM9 profiles)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've really come to like Llama. The interface is pretty easy to use and it allows you to do what you are looking to do. I use it for profiles as well as data and battery management. Works awesome.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've really come to like Llama. The interface is pretty easy to use and it allows you to do what you are looking to do. I use it for profiles as well as data and battery management. Works awesome.

Unfortunately no it doesn't do what I was looking for. I needed something that allows you to silence Facebook and email but leave text messages active.

Thanks for trying though.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't you just disable background sync, which would squash email and fb from going out to check... texts would still come in ok.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't you just disable background sync, which would squash email and fb from going out to check... texts would still come in ok.

Yes that would work, unfortunately she needs the emails and whatnot to come in just not ring. She checks her email and Facebook throughout the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes