What is the closest thing Android has to iOS's 'do not disturb' mode?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't sleep with my phone (Gnex running Jellybean 4.1) in my bedroom because I have about 5 different apps (including Google Voice) that are constantly chirping with notifications. However, this is a problem when somebody needs to get a hold of me before I wake up.

So I'm looking for an app or something that will let me set all notifications to silent, and send all but a couple of people to voicemail. I've seen a few apps in the Play store that will let you do this on a schedule, but I don't have a set work schedule, so I need to be able to do this manually.

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Tasker can do this. It has a steep learning curve, but is one of the most powerful tools you can get. You can create widget buttons on your desktop to go into and out of your "do not disturb" mode.

Az Syndicate

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have same desire, I wish to silent notifications at night, but still allow phone calls. I don't care about emails, calendar, updates when I am trying to sleep, however I do need to be able to receive emergency phone calls from pretty much any number....

So Bump for help..

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Tasker can do this. It has a steep learning curve, but is one of the most powerful tools you can get. You can create widget buttons on your desktop to go into and out of your "do not disturb" mode.

I will second this suggestion. There may be a standalone app that does only what you are talking about, but I use Tasker.

What I do is set it so my notification sounds turn off if it is between certain hours AND if my phone is plugged in (ie charging by my bed). I also set a lower ring and other options. I don't screen certain callers because I don't get many calls if any in the night, but I'm sure Tasker can do that.

You can just Google Tasker profiles and get various tutorials on how to get started. It is a powerful tool that is worth learning.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for Tasker, but a couple of other options too...

If you don't mind a couple of steps, just shut off data (3g/4g) and wireless (802.11) when you go to sleep. Turn them on when you get up. There are a variety of widgets you can use to make this pretty easy (i.e. click one widget to toggle wireless, and another to toggle cell data).

This also has the impact of notifying you about any of the stuff you would have received overnight as it is received after you wake.

Another option is something like Juice Defender, where you can have it turn off data (both cellular and 802.11) . I have used this in a timed way, so I don't know how well it would be for toggling on a varied schedule... different apps of this type may prove better for you.

needsleep

May 8, 2013
Visit site
hi gadgetgirl could you tell me what app this is as i would like to give it a try .
I am looking for a app that lets anyone phone me (even numbers that dont show up) at night, but mutes emails,texts and notifications.
thanks

needsleep

May 8, 2013
Visit site
hi i have found it for anyone else looking, on my galaxy s4 its called blocking mode in my device, and its exactly what i wanted.
now for some peaceful sleep :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463