GTalk - Groups

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about GTalk. I'm a former BBM user and most of my friends have yet to make the migration to Android (though a few will within the next month).

Q: Can you make groups in GTalk? I know you can have a group chat, but can you have a persistent group chat and users don't have to be invited to the chat every time. BBM users know what I'm talking about in terms of having a Group with a persistent chat.

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Nope I dont believe you can. IMO gtalk on my DInc blows I can't send pics or anything wtf google. I came from a bb tour like you have and I cant believe gtalk was better on bb. Then again I love my DInc way more than I loved my tour so guess I have to put up with it

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, unfortunate. Google certainly has the capacity and server space to mold Google Talk into something like BBM. They'd certainly kill RIM if Google put that effort there. I'm hoping that someday they'll add those functionalities.

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
There are several smaller companies that are attempting to bring this feature to fruition. LiveProfile, Ping Chat and WhatsApp have a pretty good start and are entering Beta.

Like CarbonOak stated, if Google decided to press this feature, more than half of the BB users I know would even suffer an ETF to jump ship and pick up and Android.

My money would be on the fact that Google is well aware that several companies may be spending capitol to develop these apps, and my bet is that they will buy the top dog or dogs out once the technology is proven.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I also miss being able to send files like in blackberry messenger. However, I remember that sending files only worked if the other user was also using a blackberry. I suspect that RIM leveraged the blackberry functionality to send files to another blackberry PIN.

I suspect this because you can't send files on the PC version on GoogleTalk either. It looks like google expects us to use Gmail to send files.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk