Photo Gallery: show only photos (not albums)?

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent convert to Android (from iPhone) and am used to being able to see all the photos on my phone in one place.

Every app on the phone seems to create its own album withing the Gallery app. I'd like to have a view that only show just the photos (not individual albums associated with different apps).

Is there a setting to change this (or an alternative app)?

Thanks.

On Samsung Galaxy S3, 4.1.1 (Verizon)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey Argelius, welcome to Android! It's gonna be a great experience, I'm sure :) Unfortunately, not everything is peachy: Fragmentation is a b**ch. That being said, I need to ask: Which device are you using? Not all Android are born the same, and every manufacturer tends to tweak things to their own (sometimes demented) liking.

In my case, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and it has two ways to achieve what you want:
1) In the Gallery, there's an option to watch the pictures in a Square-by-Square layout (the normal view), a carousel, and a spiral view. The last two options always show all pictures regardless of which album they're stored in.
2) I think this option is general to all Android devices, but I can't really confirm that since my last two phones have been Samsung's, so it might be only a Sammy thing. Anyway, on the top of the Gallery there's an option to change how you want to view your pictures. The default is 'ALBUM', but you also get Time, Locations, Person (if your phone has face-tag enabled), Group, and Favorites. The option that would make it the closest to iPhone's Photo reel is 'TIME'.