Edwin is a speech-to-speech voice assistant and accessibility utility. Uses speech recognition and text-to-speech together!

Edwin, Speech-to-Speech for Android

You ask a question, such as "What time is it" or "Where's the closest movie theater" and it responds audibly. I just starting playing around with it and it seems pretty cool.
    07-24-2010 05:57 AM
    I just downloaded this and it's pretty impressive. It'll do everything from opening paper toss to opening facebook to calling anyone I ask it to. I'm very impressed.
    07-29-2010 01:44 AM
    it seems buggy
    07-29-2010 09:36 AM
    Installed this app on my DX and It was pretty cool... The only problem I had was it locked up my other widgets and I was having to remove and replace my widgets like beautiful widget and facebook to get them to update... I didnt have this problem until this app so I uninstalled it and problem gone... Will be a great app when all the bugs are gone...
    08-02-2010 02:09 AM
    I've tried it, and while it can start applications (unlike Google Voice search), it really runs into a wall when names aren't actual words.
    08-02-2010 05:32 AM
    I have played with this a little. I think it is a cool idea, but it is frustrating if it does not recognize what I am saying. It looks like it is processing and then nothing happens.
    08-02-2010 05:52 AM
    it's a cool app. i don't use it much other than as a cool demo for my friends.

it's a harbinger of what's to come. as the technology gets better - voice to voice will get more powerful and useful and commonplace. this is the future!
    08-02-2010 06:18 AM
    Just tried it. What is the time. Whats the weather, what temperature, translate my house to spanish, all worked well. i think its a keeper! thanks OP!
    08-03-2010 01:45 AM
    I think that, primarily, these apps need to become more accessible. For example, if I could simply say "Edwin" or "phone" and the app would become active and listen for input, the process would be streamlined immensely. This would require a background process, but I don't think that would be very resource-consuming. '

Of course, the speech recognition engine needs improvement, but that is the case with all functionality of this kind at the moment.
    08-03-2010 02:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD