IM program that doesn't chew through battery?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried using AIM, but it goes through the battery pretty quick and erratically. I recently switched to ebuddy, and I like it a lot more then AIM, but it also destroys the battery. Ebuddy has a power save mode that I am going to try next, but I don't see why battery life is this bad with an IM program open. One of the few things I miss from my Pre is that I could be signed into AIM on the default WebOS messaging program and there was a very minor difference in battery life between when I was signed in and not signed in. Anyone have any suggestions?

kchase731

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
try mebeo. i also came from the pre. i think it backgrounds well. not quite like pre. but i also rooted, and flashed the new rom, which does wonders for batter. i leave mebeo on most of the time and it seems to do ok.

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
try mebeo. i also came from the pre. i think it backgrounds well. not quite like pre. but i also rooted, and flashed the new rom, which does wonders for batter. i leave mebeo on most of the time and it seems to do ok.

I second this. I have meebo and keep it on 24/7, and I can go a whole day without charging. I have my aim, yahoo, myspace, and google talk profiles all on meebo and I have had no problems other then it disconnects sometimes when my battery is really low or I go from 3g to wi fi.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me for wandering off topic here but what advantages do you see with IM vs SMS. I used IM back in the days before cell phones had texting functions, but now a days since most everyone I chat with has a cell phone, we text exclusively. So my question why IM ove TXT, is there a definitive advantage I am missing here?

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me for wandering off topic here but what advantages do you see with IM vs SMS. I used IM back in the days before cell phones had texting functions, but now a days since most everyone I chat with has a cell phone, we text exclusively. So my question why IM ove TXT, is there a definitive advantage I am missing here?

Well for someone like me, I was using IM programs for years before I even had a cell phone. I still have lots of friends that use IM programs so for me to have an IM program on my phone is great because now I can keep in touch with my buds anywhere I go. When I was doing the myspace thing {like everyone else was in the 05-06 years} I had tons of friends on that messanger too and so its nice to have all my IM programs in one {Meebo} Theres not really a advantage to using IM over SMS per se, its just another way of communicating.

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have been using Gtalk exclusively now for over a week after using other IM software and I think we've found a winner.

Not only is it always connected and integrates into the Android OS, but it uses next to no battery power.

Now, she doesn't have to come home with a dead battery because her IM app was constantly trying to reconnect or just plain using too much CPU power.

barakisbrown

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Just remember IM has it use like where I work we only use jabber and also some people do not have unlimited sms which while IM is still a viable platform.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I guess I'll give mebo a shot. I'm rooted also. It's a shame that this isn't just integrated into android. It's also a shame ebuddy sucks up so much battery, because I really like it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed with the use of IM over text for some people. I'm friends with some people on Facebook but don't really want them to have my phone number. (weird I know). But that way I can just sign out when I don't want to be bothered by that person I was friends with in high school but don't really want to talk to right now. And some people don't keep their phone by them 100% of the time when they are at home. I know, it's crazy. I can't NOT be by my phone anytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance