I tried using AIM, but it goes through the battery pretty quick and erratically. I recently switched to ebuddy, and I like it a lot more then AIM, but it also destroys the battery. Ebuddy has a power save mode that I am going to try next, but I don't see why battery life is this bad with an IM program open. One of the few things I miss from my Pre is that I could be signed into AIM on the default WebOS messaging program and there was a very minor difference in battery life between when I was signed in and not signed in. Anyone have any suggestions?
    07-24-2010 05:34 PM
    try mebeo. i also came from the pre. i think it backgrounds well. not quite like pre. but i also rooted, and flashed the new rom, which does wonders for batter. i leave mebeo on most of the time and it seems to do ok.
    07-24-2010 09:30 PM
    try mebeo. i also came from the pre. i think it backgrounds well. not quite like pre. but i also rooted, and flashed the new rom, which does wonders for batter. i leave mebeo on most of the time and it seems to do ok.
    I second this. I have meebo and keep it on 24/7, and I can go a whole day without charging. I have my aim, yahoo, myspace, and google talk profiles all on meebo and I have had no problems other then it disconnects sometimes when my battery is really low or I go from 3g to wi fi.
    07-25-2010 12:16 AM
    Third for Meebo. i use AIM and Facebook chat on it. Works wonders and is easy to set up.
    07-25-2010 08:30 AM
    Forgive me for wandering off topic here but what advantages do you see with IM vs SMS. I used IM back in the days before cell phones had texting functions, but now a days since most everyone I chat with has a cell phone, we text exclusively. So my question why IM ove TXT, is there a definitive advantage I am missing here?
    07-25-2010 10:56 AM
    Forgive me for wandering off topic here but what advantages do you see with IM vs SMS. I used IM back in the days before cell phones had texting functions, but now a days since most everyone I chat with has a cell phone, we text exclusively. So my question why IM ove TXT, is there a definitive advantage I am missing here?
    Well for someone like me, I was using IM programs for years before I even had a cell phone. I still have lots of friends that use IM programs so for me to have an IM program on my phone is great because now I can keep in touch with my buds anywhere I go. When I was doing the myspace thing {like everyone else was in the 05-06 years} I had tons of friends on that messanger too and so its nice to have all my IM programs in one {Meebo} Theres not really a advantage to using IM over SMS per se, its just another way of communicating.
    07-25-2010 12:02 PM
    My wife and I have been using Gtalk exclusively now for over a week after using other IM software and I think we've found a winner.

Not only is it always connected and integrates into the Android OS, but it uses next to no battery power.

Now, she doesn't have to come home with a dead battery because her IM app was constantly trying to reconnect or just plain using too much CPU power.
    07-25-2010 12:46 PM
    Just remember IM has it use like where I work we only use jabber and also some people do not have unlimited sms which while IM is still a viable platform.
    07-25-2010 01:36 PM
    Thanks, I guess I'll give mebo a shot. I'm rooted also. It's a shame that this isn't just integrated into android. It's also a shame ebuddy sucks up so much battery, because I really like it.
    07-25-2010 02:12 PM
    Agreed with the use of IM over text for some people. I'm friends with some people on Facebook but don't really want them to have my phone number. (weird I know). But that way I can just sign out when I don't want to be bothered by that person I was friends with in high school but don't really want to talk to right now. And some people don't keep their phone by them 100% of the time when they are at home. I know, it's crazy. I can't NOT be by my phone anytime.
    07-25-2010 02:48 PM
    Trillian should be entering beta soon, hopefully with the push notifications it shouldn't eat up too much battery.
    07-25-2010 04:28 PM
    Has anybody tried IM+ from ShapeServices?
    I used it on the BB but not tried it on the EVO.
    07-27-2010 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD