Why is that Facebook for Android app bad?

krisrock

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I just want to know why a lot off ppl and articles tell that the Facebook for Android app sucks and that it isn't good.

So i want to know what are the things that aren't good about it?
and if so what is the best alternative to it

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
try it and see. it's not nearly as functional as the apps on other platforms. the best apps on other platforms aren't necessarily the official facebook apps, either. for example the webOS app is made by Palm, and it's really good. the good iphone app isn't made by facebook, either.

i guess the point is no developer has really taken the time to make a well rounded and polished app for facebook like is available on the other platforms. the closest we have, IMHO, is Bloo. the dev made it open source so it can only get better, as long as people take it up and make it better.

krisrock

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
try it and see. it's not nearly as functional as the apps on other platforms. the best apps on other platforms aren't necessarily the official facebook apps, either. for example the webOS app is made by Palm, and it's really good. the good iphone app isn't made by facebook, either.

i guess the point is no developer has really taken the time to make a well rounded and polished app for facebook like is available on the other platforms. the closest we have, IMHO, is Bloo. the dev made it open source so it can only get better, as long as people take it up and make it better.

well i cant try it yet since im waiting for an EVO to come to my local sprint store lol and really but ive seen some previews of it and idk i dont like the UI

but i still dont get wat is so wrong with the Facebook for Android app

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You CAN send private messages: go to your inbox, hit the menu softkey, press "Compose."
It functions well enough for me... I don't know why so many people complain. You can see your news feed, view and upload photos, go to your friends' walls... all the basic stuff. It's mostly the same thing as the iphone app as far as I can tell. Maybe it is missing something, but it's not :eek:ZOMFGTHESUCK:confused:

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The two features I can see that it doesn't support are Facebook Chat (who cares, I'd rather use a universal IM package for that anyway to consolidate my accounts) and the integration into Facebook notification emails that the FB for Blackberry had. Neither are all that horrible missing features.

With any app, no matter how poorly reviewed, if you can't figure out for yourself why people don't like it then it's not a bad app for your needs. I've loved some "horrible" apps and hated some well-reviewed apps, it's about finding an app that meets your requirements rather than one that the reviewers like.

jcg878

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
The lack of notifications is what bothers me. My Blackberry had this and it was great - Facebook notifications didn't clog up my inbox and were easily ignorable when I was at work. That issue is a major loss of functionality to me.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The lack of notifications is what bothers me. My Blackberry had this and it was great - Facebook notifications didn't clog up my inbox and were easily ignorable when I was at work. That issue is a major loss of functionality to me.

Is there any apps out there for facebook that do have the notifications?

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Its not a bad app but you think for the most popular social network they would have a kickass app.

My issues are that for some reason i do not get all the posts on my wall, i have missed a few but when i do go to the touch version i do see them. That and the lack of working notification bugs me.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
i just access FB through my browser....so much quicker! (thanks Opera) the FB is just sitting on my app drawer until it doesnt freeze anymore

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
If your phone is the only device you use to access facebook, I can understand where you're coming from. First off, I'm not a facebook addict, and second, anything major I do on the PC. The mobile version is just for checking in and updating while traveling, posting photos, etc... It's a MOBILE version, not a FULL version. Keep that in mind and it's a darn fine app.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Bloo does notifications. Pretty consistently, too. Most of my facebook access is done through my phone so the quality of the app matters to me.

Bloo also does FB chat.

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the touch edition of facebook via the browser. Personally I think it is an improvement although it has a few foibles of it's own, particularly accessing contacts. The Touch site should theoretically be easier to develop and is cross platform so may get improvements sooner than the app. I am a little surprised that there is not a better facebook app for Android but I would also be surprised if there are not a number of people working on it given the popularity of the underlying site.

Edit: http://touch/facebook.com

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I use the native app for almost everything, but keep Bloo 1.5 running for chat (personally I think Bloo mostly sucks, but it does do a couple things I like such as chat and tagging people in photos). It's too bad Bloo isn't better than it is, since it has a lot of potential.

I get notification in my top bar, and I'm not sure if they are from Bloo or the Native App. I think they are from the native app...at least they have the same icon as the Native App notifications (that little "billboard sign" thing)

I also have the touch version of the site bookmarked, but don't use it much. I find the native app works well for the most part, but as I said, I also have Bloo running just for chat and a couple additional functions.

I have never seen the iPhone app outside of screenshots, but based on that, I really wish we had something like it.

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I use the native app for almost everything, but keep Bloo 1.5 running for chat (personally I think Bloo mostly sucks, but it does do a couple things I like such as chat and tagging people in photos). It's too bad Bloo isn't better than it is, since it has a lot of potential.

I get notification in my top bar, and I'm not sure if they are from Bloo or the Native App. I think they are from the native app...at least they have the same icon as the Native App notifications (that little "billboard sign" thing)

I have this same issue! I uninstalled the update to FB to save the room for Bloo, and then the notifications started coming through. It seems to be native app when I click them, but I'm not sure.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have this same issue! I uninstalled the update to FB to save the room for Bloo, and then the notifications started coming through. It seems to be native app when I click them, but I'm not sure.

I just did a little test and they are Bloo notifications....I can tell because if you click on them, it takes you to the Bloo notifications window (which looks different than the Native App's notification window). Guess it just uses the same icon.

So I use Bloo for chat, notifications and some photo stuff (such as album creation and tagging people).

I still have issues with Bloo that prevent me from using it as my go-to app though. Specifically missing those items/groups/people that I "like" in my news feed....that would include any show/company/person that you go to their page and you only have the option to "like" and you can't really become friends with them. That's a show stopper for me, but I also get an error if I try to view a friend's photo album (tells me they either don't have any photos or that I don't have permission, which is BS). That happens for about 80% of my friends.

If they'd fix those two issues, I'd be happier with it, but it also has other, more minor quirks I don't like. Which is why I'm using a combination, but the stock app is still my primary app (not that it's perfect, but at least my news feed, which is the most important part, isn't missing a bunch of stuff I care about like it is in Bloo).

Last edited:

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't need notification alerts really, and what I have come up with to deal with the lack of a good Facebook app is to use the mobile site, not the Touch one, set the text size to large in the default browser, and make a launcher page with bookmarks to my notifications, best friends, inbox, or whatever I want quick access to. This seems to be the most stable, efficient way, as the FB app doesn't update well, Bloo won't open notes properly, the Touch site scrolls weird, the desktop site needs lots of resizing constantly etc. This way gives me flexibility without so much hassle.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The iphone is the best one it just git a awesome update. And I can't do farmville or play family feud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis