Blackberry user needs help with transition to a Android galaxy note 2.

netwerks1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I got mad at Thorsten and BB last week and went out and got a note 2 but now am having serious with drawls. I don't want to get in to a android vs blackberry debate so lets leave all that at the door. Here is what I need serious help with.

1. A email client that I can easily manage. Has to be able to dump 6 email accounts in to one "inbox" and it would be seriously nice if I can manage it like I do with my BB. Meaning when I want to delete all my emails from a specific sender, I just hold my finger down on one of the emails in the list and a menu pops up with about 6 options, one that you can search by sender or subject. I do a search by sender and all my emails from them are then filtered in to a nice list where I can find what I want or delete the all of the emails from that sender. So if any of you ex BB users are out there and know what I mean and are looking for, PLEASE let me know of a decent app to handle my emails.

2. I also need a GOOD Business class calendar that I can schedule conference calls with and make them. With a Blackberry it's easy as heck. It gives you a nice pop up prior to the call and you can choose join/snooze/dismiss. I tried Mobile Day and it was embarrassing bad. I have a few conf calls that are right up against each other and the dang phone started talking to me about my next call while I was in my one before. Note only did I hear it but so did everyone else on my call. It also never did the passcode, I had to dial it by hand which just wont work for me. I need a good calender/conf app that will notify me of my next call but not everyone on the call I'm currently in. And of course one that will dial not only the bridge number but the pass code too.

3. I also need a good sms app that. I don't text much but I do get paged. I need a adult type (not gummiebeartreehugerkidstuff) sms/paging app I can make custom alerts for with missed call/page alerts. One that I can set to keep going off every 30 secs to a min till I acknowledge it. (I get paged when I'm sleeping often and the first one usually doesn't wake me up)

These three issues are deal breakers for me, if I can't effectively manage my emails/calender/conf calls/pages(sms), then it's headed back to the store. As a side note, I'm not in to sharing my business or personal life with google, twitter, facebook and any other social media stuff. I don't sync with google calendars or share with "buddies". I need a tool, not a toy. Now I do love that I know have access to many cool apps and things I couldn't do on my blackberrys. The S Pen is incredible and I'm already using that a lot, wtg samsung, dang nice feature/tool. I'm not in to rooting, side loading apps or spending what precious free time I have hacking my phone or others. I just want it to do a business class job on my emails/calender/conferencing and I don't want to take this incredible piece of hardware back to the store but unless I can get it to do what a BB does right out of the box, well that's where it will end up, right back at the store.

Thanks in advance for any help!

anon(790850)

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let's see what I can do:

1. A email client that I can easily manage. Has to be able to dump 6 email accounts in to one "inbox" and it would be seriously nice if I can manage it like I do with my BB. Meaning when I want to delete all my emails from a specific sender, I just hold my finger down on one of the emails in the list and a menu pops up with about 6 options, one that you can search by sender or subject. I do a search by sender and all my emails from them are then filtered in to a nice list where I can find what I want or delete the all of the emails from that sender. So if any of you ex BB users are out there and know what I mean and are looking for, PLEASE let me know of a decent app to handle my emails.

(Try checking out Kaiten email or K9 mail. Kaiten is paid and is ugly as sin, but they've recently released a free beta on their 2.0 app so give it a whirl and see if it works for you. One thing to note is that email on Android will NEVER be as fast as on BlackBerry because BB hosts all emails directly on its server - emails come into their server and from there the server is optimized to pull in the data into you BB, whereas for Android and IOS, your email gets routed through webmail clients like Yahoo or Google. If there's one thing BB is tops at, it's email management. But as someone who works with an average of 300 emails a day, Android and iOS work perfectly fine for my tastes.)

2. I also need a GOOD Business class calendar that I can schedule conference calls with and make them. With a Blackberry it's easy as heck. It gives you a nice pop up prior to the call and you can choose join/snooze/dismiss. I tried Mobile Day and it was embarrassing bad. I have a few conf calls that are right up against each other and the dang phone started talking to me about my next call while I was in my one before. Note only did I hear it but so did everyone else on my call. It also never did the passcode, I had to dial it by hand which just wont work for me. I need a good calender/conf app that will notify me of my next call but not everyone on the call I'm currently in. And of course one that will dial not only the bridge number but the pass code too.

(Not so sure how to help with this one.)

3. I also need a good sms app that. I don't text much but I do get paged. I need a adult type (not gummiebeartreehugerkidstuff) sms/paging app I can make custom alerts for with missed call/page alerts. One that I can set to keep going off every 30 secs to a min till I acknowledge it. (I get paged when I'm sleeping often and the first one usually doesn't wake me up)

(From what I see, you're looking for an extension to existing functionality and not necessarily a completely separate app. For this, you might want to look into Missed Call / SMS Alert Pro on the Play Store. This runs in the background and bugs you whenever you miss an alert, but it routes you to the stock app all the same.)

These three issues are deal breakers for me, if I can't effectively manage my emails/calender/conf calls/pages(sms), then it's headed back to the store. As a side note, I'm not in to sharing my business or personal life with google, twitter, facebook and any other social media stuff. I don't sync with google calendars or share with "buddies". I need a tool, not a toy. Now I do love that I know have access to many cool apps and things I couldn't do on my blackberrys. The S Pen is incredible and I'm already using that a lot, wtg samsung, dang nice feature/tool. I'm not in to rooting, side loading apps or spending what precious free time I have hacking my phone or others. I just want it to do a business class job on my emails/calender/conferencing and I don't want to take this incredible piece of hardware back to the store but unless I can get it to do what a BB does right out of the box, well that's where it will end up, right back at the store.

(If you're not into a seamless Google syncing experience, then perhaps Android isn't for you. :) the biggest advantage of the Android experience is a seamless cloud syncing and inter-service integration because of Google strength in online. It helps that you can start working on your desktop or laptop, jump into your phone on your lunch break, and then move to your tablet during a meeting without skipping a beat. Plus, if you happen to lose your device or bork it, you're not completely screwed as all your data is seamlessly backed up to the cloud.

Re: toy vs tool, I feel you. But that doesn't mean it can't be both. There are a million apps out there that can make your Note an amazing productivity tool - check out Evernote and Dropbox. Again, the advantage is a complete cloud-based solution that gives you access to your important data anywhere and everywhere. I don't share with buddies either. What I do share with is from my phone to my iPad to my work laptop. It's completely integrated. Android gives you a million ways to customize your preferred user experience and make it truly yours. If that's not your cup of tea and would rather have something that is super easy to set up and go, you might want to consider the iPhone or the newly released BlackBerry Z10.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois