Group texting in Chomp SMS

bronsonelliott

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am trying the Chomp SMS app and one feature I am interested in is group texting. Once I installed the app, I tried to send a group message and I noticed 2 things

1. when I sent the message, duplicate messages were sent to each person. For example, I sent a group message to 2 people and when I sent it 2 duplicate messages show in the conversation window.

2. When the people in the group respond to the text, the messages show under the individual separately instead of within the group conversation.

Does Chomp support group texting and how do I make it perform as expected?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Vincent Micciche

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually just got chompSMS today to try it out. Same kind of things were happening to me. It definitely supports group messaging, but it seems kind of hit or miss. Sometimes it keeps it in the thread and sometimes it doesn't. I only had the sending multiple messages thing happen once or twice.

This may just be a weird bug on my part but, after uninstalling Nova Launcher my problems seemed to have disappeared. Are you running a third-party launcher by chance?

EDIT: Turns out that didn't fix the problem at all. It sends individual texts to the people in my group thread but then also shows up 4 times (one for each person) in the thread. Definitely something to bring up with the dev.

Last edited:

bronsonelliott

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No i don't use any sort of launcher apps. I have been in touch with the developer and they assure me that they are working on it. I asked to be included in the beta test so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Why is group texting such an issue on Android? I use gosmspro and while it does work, I think it is one of the only options for group text available with all other mobile brand devices. Am I right on this? I would love another option as I am not in love with gosms pro.

bronsonelliott

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. Like you, I'm using Go SMS as well but am by no means in love with it. Too big, too many other connected services and too many ads trying to get you to download this app or this theme. I just want a texting app that works and properly handles group texts.

I just wish the stock app worked for my needs. They apparently fixed the group texting problem in the stock app in Android 4.2 but who knows when we will get on my phone (AT&T GS3).

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy s4 on 4.2.2 here. Today was my first real experience with iPhone group chat. Chomp SMS still can't handle replying to the group but it can at least view it as one thread. I did however discover that the stock messaging app that came with the phone does in fact allow me to reply to group messages successfully.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the gs4 as well and am using chomp SMS I also am having the issue the op is with it sending text to each individual and then getting the reply text in a separate text I like chomp because it allows you to send emoji just like the iPhone has them and they display Properly.

bigredbyrdisu

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
No clue what you are talking about, but my galaxy s4 on t-mobile does all this functionality in the stock sms app and in chomp.

Must be an at&t 4.2.2 bug.

Not the first time at&t screws up the customer experience. :'(

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I use Textra SMS. I've been using it for months. Works great. Simple, smooth, beautiful, and fast. Supports MMS and group messaging. Both work beautifully.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Odd; I can't get group messaging to work on Textra. Works sort of on ChomSMS.

Go into the app, open settings scroll down and check "use MMS settings for group chats". That should do it.

Textra is by far my favorite text app.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Why is Textra your favorite? I've tried it and I still prefer ChompSMS based solely on templates.
Go into the app, open settings scroll down and check "use MMS settings for group chats". That should do it.

Textra is by far my favorite text app.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Easy to use. I like the simplistic layout...I guess I'm just simple lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member