Is there an app that lets you only have certain calls ring?

dmc1068

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I got the update and set up a silent profile and normal profile. It is working perfectly right now. I just wish I could include if they text me.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am a new Droid user and LOVE it, it is a learning experience. I get sick and tired of going into the phone and turning this and that on and off to sleep.. I have been looking for a app like settings profile, and really appreciate evilmonkeys step by step instrucions.. HOWEVER, i can't figure out how to let certain text messages through. I want to turn off all calls except my employer and wife when i sleep (i get that part) but I also want my employer & wife's text messages to come through with a ringtone... So far I can't figure it out with this app, or for that matter find a app that will let me do that.

Scott

I got the update and set up a silent profile and normal profile. It is working perfectly right now. I just wish I could include if they text me.

I would have responded sooner, but I was away over the weekend. You can include text messages. Just follow the same steps as above for allowing certain calls through, but make it for text messages. In other words:

1. Create a rule
  2. Choose "Add Condition"
  3. Choose "Unread Text/SMS"
  4. Choose your contacts (there is another field there if you want to filter it further by keyword, such as only ring for text messages containing "urgent"...or just leave it as the default (*) and you'll get notified for any messages from those contacts)
  5. Add the action of activating your "Normal" profile to this rule.

If you've already set up the silent mode with certain contacts ringing (as detailed earlier in this thread), you shouldn't need an entire new rule....just add the above condition to your existing rule.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

baxterlf

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Phone Weaver will also do this and I've had much better luck with it being stable. The other program keep causing a force reboot of my X.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Phone Weaver will also do this and I've had much better luck with it being stable. The other program keep causing a force reboot of my X.

I think PhoneWeaver was mentioned earlier in the thread. Not familiar with it, but some of the comments on it on Appbrain say it "would be 5 stars if you could specify contacts that would override silent mode" so that leads me to believe it doesn't do this. Not sure though. It is also $3 more than Setting Profiles (hey, $3 is $3 where I come from).

Again, not familiar with it, so maybe it does handle contacts overriding silent mode (I know you can't always trust the comments on the marketplace).

Never had an issue with SP crashing my phone, but I use an EVO (don't see any X-specific comments at Probeez's site or in the market comments either). Apparently there are 2 Setting Profiles apps, which caused some confusion. The one I use (and recommend) is from Probeez. There's another called "Settngs Profiles" from Wolfgang Sanyer (who apparently can't be bothered to spell "Settings" correctly in the name of his app) which apparently doesn't work well.

dmc1068

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Setting Profiles for about a month. I have to go in every few days to repick the contacts I want to allow. It zapps them out every few days. I added a group (family) to all the contacts I want. If I pick group for the rule, it doesn't have any numbers associated with it, so I have to individually pick each one. I tried the back up and that didn't work. It saves the settings, but not the rule?!? So yesterday the wife tried calling a few hours after it should have gone on. My ringer was set to silent. At first I would have said it was me pushing the button down by mistake, but when I pushed the up volume, instead of going in steps it went immediately to the loudest so I believe it is the program. I love the idea of this program, but it is not working properly.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Setting Profiles for about a month. I have to go in every few days to repick the contacts I want to allow. It zapps them out every few days. I added a group (family) to all the contacts I want. If I pick group for the rule, it doesn't have any numbers associated with it, so I have to individually pick each one. I tried the back up and that didn't work. It saves the settings, but not the rule?!? So yesterday the wife tried calling a few hours after it should have gone on. My ringer was set to silent. At first I would have said it was me pushing the button down by mistake, but when I pushed the up volume, instead of going in steps it went immediately to the loudest so I believe it is the program. I love the idea of this program, but it is not working properly.

mine is working fine. i am on a Hero running Froyo, and setting profiles is installed to internal memory. i had an issue at one time with another app so when setting profiles allowed me to show the profile in the status bar i enabled that. if an app is there then the system is less likely to end the app.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with my "whitelist" either. Do you have the latest version?

There's a support area at probeez.com....might want to try that out. The devs are usually pretty responsive.

MasterRattler

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey I been searching and searching for an app to do this and I finally found it in Auto Ring.... It's very simple and straight forward just add contacts to white list simple as that. I tried profile settings just found all those rules and definitions to cumbersome. You can set it to ring for white list contacts for if you miss 2 calls in 60 secs for example...I like it a lot

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
Hey I been searching and searching for an app to do this and I finally found it in Auto Ring.... It's very simple and straight forward just add contacts to white list simple as that. I tried profile settings just found all those rules and definitions to cumbersome. You can set it to ring for white list contacts for if you miss 2 calls in 60 secs for example...I like it a lot

Perfect!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante