Is there an app that lets you only have certain calls ring?

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
I therefore an app that lets you set the phone to silent mode when you sleep but allows certainly numbers to ring if they call you? I work midnights but if there is an emergency call from my wife of my kids in want my phone to ring but I want to silence all other calls. Is there an app that does this?

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Foxyring does that and i think Locale does as well. I use setting profiles and i think they just added that option (or at least I just found it in there) so i am unsure how well it works. I wasnt happy with Foxyring (FREE) and Locale is 10$, setting profiles is 3.95$. i also work overnights, let me know if you find anything better. :)

edit: i found this http://www.probeez.com/?cat=1 simple to set it up too!

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I can confirm that Setting Profiles added that option (it's there, but I haven't used the option so can't confirm how well it works...have no reason to think it doesn't work though)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how to do that in Settings Profile. There are time based profiles, but I don't see anything that ties in to the contact list to differentiate by caller.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how to do that in Settings Profile. There are time based profiles, but I don't see anything that ties in to the contact list to differentiate by caller.

Do you have the latest version? If so, set up a rule and select "Incoming Call" and then you can either select a group, or add individual contacts. Then apply an Action to the rule, such as Notify, and select a ringtone for it.

That way you should be able to activate your "silent" profile, but that rule would still be active and override it.

At least that's how it should work. I have not used that feature or tested it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you have the latest version? If so, set up a rule and select "Incoming Call" and then you can either select a group, or add individual contacts. Then apply an Action to the rule, such as Notify, and select a ringtone for it.

That way you should be able to activate your "silent" profile, but that rule would still be active and override it.

At least that's how it should work. I have not used that feature or tested it.

Yeah, now that I look again I see it. I'll blame it on work stress. :D

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Went into setting I have no idea where to look. Looked in every option. Anyone have step by step instructions?

Ok, first of all, I am assuming you're somewhat familiar with the Setting Profiles app (and perhaps it's missing in the "Lite" version...not sure), but just in case, you need to set up a "night" or "silent" profile first. I did this by (you may change some things in here):

1. Open Setting Profiles
  2. Select Profiles from the top (first box on the left)
  3. Press Menu -> New Profile
  4. Name if "Night" or "Silent" and set it up appropriately (I have mine set to silence everything but the ringer, but I think in your case you want to silence that as well since later you'll be setting up a rule to allow certain contacts to ring while silencing the rest.)
  5. Save it.
  6. Click on Rules (second box on the top)
  7. Press menu -> New Rule
  8. Press Menu -> Add Condition
  9. Press Time Period
  10. Select (for example) from 11PM to 6:30AM
  11. Press Menu -> Add Action
  12. Press Activate Profile and choose your "Night" profile you created earlier.

At this point you have a "Silent Profile" that will activate automatically at 11PM and silence your phone until 6:30AM.

Now you need to make exceptions, so you need to create a rule that will make the phone ring if a certain person calls you (but only if that person calls you).

1. Open Setting Profiles.
  2. Click on Rules (at the top...second box from the left)
  3. Press Menu -> New Rule
  4. Press Menu -> Add Condition
  5. Press "Incoming Call"
  6. At this point you should see a popup that says "Select Contacts". You can either use the pull down to select a group, or right underneath that it says "Select individual contact(s)" with a green "+" symbol. It's up to you if you have a group defined or just want to add a couple contacts here. Press OK when you are done.
  7. Click on Menu -> Add Action
  8. Click "Notify"
  9. Press "Sound Notification" to mark the checkbox (the "Notification Ringtone" setting right below it should now activate)
  10. Press "Notification Ringtone"
  11. Select an option for a ringtone.
  12. At this point you can also do all kinds of things, like post text in the notification bar, send a text message to them (such as "WTF...it's the middle of the night, jerk!")

That is basically it. Now whenever that contact calls you, the phone should ring, even if you have a silent profile set up and active.

You can stack rules and conditions as well. So in my example above, the rule you made for that person will ALWAYS use the ringtone you defined, which may not be what you want. But you can simply add another condition that only activates that rule from 11PM to 6:30AM as well (so when that person calls at night, it could be a quieter ringtone, but during the day it uses the regular ringtone)

Again, I have not actually tested this, but am pretty familiar with the app so this should work.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
Still having trouble finding an app to do what I want. I want to be able to manually turn off my ringer except for my Kids, Wife, Sister, Mom and Dad. Depending on what time I go to bed I want to be able to manually switch not set a timer to activate every day.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
As I've said in the past, try Setting Profiles. It'll do exactly what you want. Spend $4 and spend 10 minutes setting it up. If you don't like it, just uninstall it within 24 hours and you automatically get your money back.

In fact, I just set up exactly what you wanted and tested it. Worked fine. Took about 15 seconds to set it up. Again, here are specific steps (slightly different than what I posted earlier):

1) Create a "normal" profile where the phone will ring.
2) Create a "night" profile with everything silenced.
3) Create a rule that says "When these people call, switch over to my "normal" profile."

So I just set up a rule for my wife. I switched it to Night profile (manually) called myself from my work phone, and nothing happened other than the screen woke up telling me someone was calling (no vibration or ringer). I had my wife call, and the phone switched over to my "normal" profile, the phone rang, I answered it, talked to her, hung up, and it immediately went back to my "Night" profile.

Worked perfectly. Then all you have to do is add the widget to your screen, so when you go to bed, you press on the widget, tap the "Night" profile to activate it and you're done (when you wake up, tap the widget again and click on your "normal" profile).

Again, spend $4 and set it up. If you don't like it, uninstall it within 24 hours and you get your money back, just like all apps.

In fact, they even cover it in the "How To" section of their page here: Howto ? Setting Profiles (near the bottom):
What if I don’t want to miss an important call while I’m on mute?
You can overwrite current sound settings with a rule based on Incoming Call condition.

Here is how to:

1. Create a new rule
  2. Add Incoming Call condition and set it to your preferred contacts group (like VIP or Family)
  3. Add Activate Profile action to activate the profile where sound is On and/or some custom ring tone specified
That’s it! Now even if your phone is set to mute, it will still ring in case of a call from someone from Contact Group you have set up in step two.

p.s. Yes, you can customize your ringtone for selected contacts group using this condition!

Last edited:

dmc1068

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Setting Profiles. I can't seem to get it to set right. I set up a silent profile. Added group family to the wife, kids and parents. Didn't work so I set up a normal profile for it to go to when they call. It doesn't recognize the group so I added individually then it will only work if they call from there primary number. I want to receive calls from any of their numbers and text messages. Can't figure it out. I am not a programmer but am not ignorant either. Was going to return it and was just past the refund point. I downloaded Locales, which does not do the same thing. I want to shut off everything and all notifications unless, the wife, kids or parents call. I did read the link with full page explanation and it seems to set up, but when I test the calls do not go through. It also moves the ringer to vibrate even though settings show as silent. It's frustrating me because I know it can be done. Could this be because of the Frigid update. It says it is compatible.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...I looked at it and noticed a couple things similar to you.

Keep in mind I'm not doing this specific behavior, but set it up to try to reproduce the problems. Hope this stuff helps...

I set up a silent profile. Added group family to the wife, kids and parents. Didn't work so I set up a normal profile for it to go to when they call.

This is correct, since you need at least two profiles (a normal and silent one).

It doesn't recognize the group so I added individually then it will only work if they call from there primary number. I want to receive calls from any of their numbers and text messages.

I have the same issue...none of my groups show: I just see a "<none>" and "<Any Number>" option.

And if I add them individually, it only adds the primary number.

I did manage to work around this by adding the contact to my rule, then editing the contact, changing the primary number, and adding the contact again to my rule (this added the same contact to the rule twice, but under two different numbers, such as "home" and "Mobile"). Then of course I had to re-edit the contact and reassign the primary number again.

Obviously, that is not ideal (and a pain, especially since most of my contacts have a "home", "mobile" and "business" number). I have posted this on their support forum here: Two problems with "incoming call" rule - Setting Profiles User Group | Google Groups so keep an eye on it and hopefully someone will answer it.

I want to receive calls from any of their numbers and text messages.

I believe you will need another condition to your rule for the text messages (since it's an option). When you set that up, you can add contacts (or keywords) to it. Unfortunately this looks like it works the same as above (only adds the primary number, so if the mobile phone they'd be texting from is not the primary number, you'd have to edit the contact to assign it as such, then add the contact to the rule). Kindof a pain.

It also moves the ringer to vibrate even though settings show as silent.

Ok, this worked fine yesterday when I was trying it out, then this morning I was getting the same behavior (it was vibrating for calls). I went in and noticed that even though I had "silent" enabled, everything under the "Vibrate for Calls" was still highlighted. I flipped back and forth a couple times (unchecking the star and checkbox) and they greyed back out again. This is the "Vibrate for notifications" and "Notification ringtone" and settings...they shoudl be grey.

Once I got them grey again, it started working the way it should (my screen only wakes up to identify the caller, but no ringing or vibrating).

Hope that helps....Wish the contact thing worked better than it does, although there is a workaround....albeit kindof painful.

Last edited:

dmc1068

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I will retry to night when I get home. I believe I had all of it set right including the vibrate being off, but will try again.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Update available today addresses the contact thing. Now when setting up a rule for an incoming call, all numbers for that contact are added...not just the primary number.

upgrumpy

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I am a new Droid user and LOVE it, it is a learning experience. I get sick and tired of going into the phone and turning this and that on and off to sleep.. I have been looking for a app like settings profile, and really appreciate evilmonkeys step by step instrucions.. HOWEVER, i can't figure out how to let certain text messages through. I want to turn off all calls except my employer and wife when i sleep (i get that part) but I also want my employer & wife's text messages to come through with a ringtone... So far I can't figure it out with this app, or for that matter find a app that will let me do that.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol