How to install (or better yet, move) apps to the SD card

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm on 2.1 and my daughter has some games she really loves but they are too big (FYI - Papaya Pets - cool game, a lot like WebKinz) and are hogging my memory. If I uninstall them and reinstall them to the SD card, will she lose everything or do most apps leave behind a file to remember settings? Best case scenario is an app that will let me move an entire app over to the SD card.

Thanks!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
or root and add a custom 2.2 rom.. or if u cant wait vzw has the droid x with 8gb just for apps no need for sd card.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with an app that will permit that. Wonder why, out of all the things you can do with Android, that savings apps to the SD isn't one of them.... frustrating....

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is my primary complaint with the Evo. When I first heard it was going to have 1GB of memory I thought "Man that will be plenty of room!" Nope, you only get 370MB-ish... I am constantly having to remove apps to install others. I am so envious of the captivate that has 16GB internal memory! Others have 8. THAT is memory and they can STILL add an SD card on top of that!

Even with 2.2 most apps still cannot store themselves there, it will take time. e.g. I have a bunch of soundboard apps that I really would love to have but cannot install them and the developers don't seem to want to put the sounds themselves on the SD card. It gets frustrating as there is so much software for Android that I want to keep on the phone.

At least 2.2 will help so I am not complaining 100%. i:Di

I said it before, we need an application like PowerRun that I bought for PalmOS. It created an icon (shortcut) on the device that invisibly ran PR which then copied the program and its data from the SD card into RAM, then ran the program. Any saved/altered data was copied back to the SD card when you quit the program and the app was then deleted from RAM.

It caused only a slight delay launching the program and worked in the background. It worked REALLY well! Solved the problem. Android could do this I am sure. I understand some apps keep running etc.. but a good chunk of games, soundboards and fast utilities could be ran this way. Even with 2.2 this would be useful for all of the apps that don't or won't work with 2.2 to install to SD.

Last edited:

sojourner753

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
This is something that's been bothering me since I updated my Nexus One to Froyo. When are more app developers going to support the SD Card? I understand that some items like widgets and wallpaper may not make sense, but I'm looking at several multi-megabyte apps that still don't support it.

I know they have time because I get plenty of updates. They all jumped on the new DRM scheme. How about a little help for the users with limited internal space and 32GB Sd card sitting half empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37