View Poll Results: Do the permissions for apps mean much to you?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I just run the apps anyway, its linux based! I can't get a virus

1 3.85%
  • I am sorta cautious but I don't give it much attention

16 61.54%
  • I KNOW my phone can get a virus so I am very careful in the apps that I add to my phone

9 34.62%
  • I trust in googles security measures, so whats to worry about?

3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I have noticed a frenzy of posts the last two days about security in the apps that we download.

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...okout-response

Its something I've tried to be aware of when traversing our massive market of 70,000+ applications.

I see apps for wallpaper/LWP that require a constant data connection or want to read my phone call states and identities. These things raise red flags to me.

You could say that I am a little OCD of the apps I download for I don't want my info being stolen.

We even have apps dedicated to our mobile security (even though most people here scoff at it)

So I will throw this poll up and see what you vote on, but share your thoughts here.

Do you feel safe in our market?
    Do you think Google's security of the market is adequate?
    Do you have security software on your device?
    Do you read the permissions before you download an app?
    Have those permissions ever deterred you from getting an app that you normally would have?
    07-30-2010 11:13 AM
    *cough*BUMP*cough*
    07-30-2010 09:56 PM
    Do you feel safe in our market? Yes.
    Do you think Google's security of the market is adequate? Yes.
    Do you have security software on your device? No.
    Do you read the permissions before you download an app? Sometimes, but I should read it all the time.
    Have those permissions ever deterred you from getting an app that you normally would have? No.
    07-30-2010 10:04 PM
    bump for what. most folks feel secure in the market. antivirus or any security is not needed yet. the issue with wallpaper is fixed
    07-30-2010 10:33 PM
    antivirus wont help at all for a malicious app you install and are giving it permissions upon install. Best is to actual read what permissions you are giving an app at install and decide whether you install it or not.
    07-30-2010 10:38 PM
    I read every freeking permission, every freeking time

each and every one of us should.
    07-30-2010 10:47 PM
    I am well aware of what to do folks, this wasn't a "I need your assistance on what I should do" post. This was a "what are your opinions on this stuff"
    07-31-2010 07:39 AM
    I am well aware of what to do folks, this wasn't a "I need your assistance on what I should do" post. This was a "what are your opinions on this stuff"
    Understood, just that virus was used for a couple options in your poll and the term virus gets used interchangeably with malware or malicious software when technically it isn't the same thing. Not specific necessarily to your initial post but I've seen people mention the possible need for antivirus when it isn't even relevant to discussions that come up about application security.

For me, I make an effort to read the permissions I'm giving software in deciding whether to use it or not. We can hold alot of personal info or access it through our phones so it should be a concern who we might be giving that access to.
    07-31-2010 08:16 AM
    None of the above?

I'm not the least bit worried about a virus. I am worried about giving an app developer access to information he/she has no need to know. I've started paying closer attention to the permissions an app wants. If it's a major app from a reputable developer and used by lots of people I don't worry too much.

But when a game developer wants access to my contacts and login information, something's wrong (see WordWise).
    07-31-2010 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD